Thread: Anthony (Jo) Johansen

Florida, Ex Wales, Hope To Return To Wales Soon
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unhappy Anthony (Jo) Johansen

It saddens me to report the death of a good friend and former shipmate Anthony 'Jo' Johansen. We sailed together with Reardon Smiths of Cardiff in the 1950's. Jo sailed with Bristol Steam Navigation for a while before joining the Bristol City Line .
    Jo was originally from the Bristol area but had lived in Ottawa, Canada for many years. On December 28th he was taken into hospital suffering from influenza and chronic viral pneumonia. He passed away yesterday morning, exactly two months later.
    He will be greatly missed, my sincere condolences and sympathy to his wife Joy and family. R.I.P. Jo.

Glan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default My Sincere Condolences

Hello Glan
    Always sad to hear of a loss,no matter who!
    It is even harder when that person has been a good friend for so long!
    I know how you feel Glan,and can only say my Sincere Condolences to the Entire Family and to you too Glan,take Heart mate ,and stay strong!
    May he rest in peace now,and may his sails be filed with the winds of good tidings!
    Sincerly
    Vernon
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville

Sorry to hear about your old pal .it seems like were losing more and more as the years go by, just have too look back and say we had a good life

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unhappy

Vernon and Neville........Very many thanks, much appreciated............Glan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Anthony Johansen (or to his mates Jo-Jo)

Hi Glan,
    I echo your thoughts,sorry to hear about Joe,my condolences to his family. I first met and sailed with Joe when he was 2nd mate on the maiden voyage, on the Halifax City (Bristol City Line of Steamships). I did a few coastal runs up the channel at a later date when he was Mate. A great character, and stood-by with him afew times at Avonmouth. The only light note that springs to mind, is to mention that his old Pal from way back Skid (Alan Skidmore) will be waiting with a couple of glasses and the top off the bottle. That sure will be some party.
    Shalom Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unhappy

Hello Lecky,

Many thanks for your comments. Yes, Jo was a character, we sailed together in Reardon Smiths, Christmas day 1950 we were in Freemantle, Australia, Jo was 3rd mate and I was a 3rd year apprentice, we apprentice's invited Jo for breakfast, .......corn flakes....problem was, we had run out of milk ! Rapid solution.....just poured 'fosters' beer on them !
    Next time we met up was in 1956 I believe, we both worked for Bristol Steam Navigation Co, Jo was mate on board the 'Milo' and I was on board the 'Cato'. I found out some time later that he had joined Bristol City Line.
    It was 52 years before we made contact again !......Jo and his wife Joy would come down to Florida for 6 - 8 weeks every year, so I was able to meet up with him again, last time was last November.
    I heard Jo mention the name Alan Skidmore many times, I hope that you are right about the 'couple of glasses and the top off the bottle'. Did you happen to have known Alan Pound and John Rose ? Both ex Bristol City Line.

Best Wishes,
    Glan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glan, my condolences on the loss of your good friend, always ahrd to see them go.
    But one point of interest if I may, why did you ruin a good can of Fosters by adding cornflakes to it?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Glan, Have sent you a P.M. as to reply to your comments would take us off thread. If you do not recieve the message try to let me have your e-mail address so that I can correspond direct