Southern Cross: 28/2/64--18/5/64
    British Comet: 22/6/64--16/7/64
    Port Brisbane: 29/7/64--9/7/65
    Esso Wandsworth: 5/8/65--10/8/65
    Queen Mary: 11/8/65--6/10/65
    RFA Eddyfirth: 25/1/66-- 26/3/66
    Port Napier: 4/7/66--3/10/66
    Notes:
    emigrated to NZ in 66. worked for NZ shipping Shore gang then Wellington Pilot boats until emigrating to Australia in 1968

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mark Sewell

Whilst working for NZ stevedores did you ever come across anyone called Watson .? He was one of twins , his brother remained at sea I believe while he went into stevedoring. They were identical twins and although I went to school with them had extreme difficulty of telling them apart .Both I believe served their time with Shell., but could be wrong on that. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Mark.
    You followed the same journey as myself. Vindi in 49 , British ships until 67 emigrated to NZ, then NZ coast for six years, shot across the Ditch in 74. Went back to NZ for five years in 2005, then came back and now live in Cooma.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

4. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi JS: Sorry about the late reply i still have limited idea how this web site works. i have only just found your post. I arrived in Wellington in 1968 I first worked for NZ shipping in there plumbing shop, doing repairs on there ships in port and on the Picton ferries. Sorry i never met your twins. Then i landed a job on the Pilot boats, best job ever if you had to be shore side. <I married a Kiwi girl.> I would go back in a heartbeat but it is just to cold for my old bones.
    My Son is a skipper now and ships mainly out of Auckland. kind regards Mark.

6. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Des: Sorry this is a bit late i only just found your post, i really don't understand how this web site works, it's all a bit hit and miss. I see you have a few years on me so yes i followed you around. I met a girl in Wellington when i was on the port Brisbane first trip, when i tried to get back the next trip we hit a sand bar in the Red sea after coming out of the suez and had to limp to Brisbane <dry dock> on 1 prop. we then had to wait for the Port Sydney to bring a spare prop out from the UK and she took over our run to NZ and we went home back through the Suez. But that was a long story. I am now in Denham north west Australia, at the moment it's been over 40 deg for a week, 43 at the moment thank God for air con. Hows life in Cooma living behind a mask ?It has only just caught up with us. My Son has the right idea he is doing long trips at sea delivering yachts. Thanks for your message .Mark.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne, Denis O'Shea, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Mark
    Sorry I made a mistake in the dates I emigrated to NZ in 57 not 67.
    The State Govt are going to get rid of mask wearing this week, despite an average of 5,000 people catching Omicron and average of 12 dying a day, money is more important. They just got a hammering in four by-elections, vote down around 20% lost a major seat.
    Good to hear your son has a job delivering yachts, only a few on board. Was he with the Union Company? Did you go to West Aus for the mines?
    Cheers Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

10. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mark you didn’t work for any of the locals offshore when moved to WA did you ? The likes of Total Marine or Mermaid Marine of Fremantle. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Des: I came over after my wife ran off with her boss and cleaned me out, i needed a new start and had family living in perth. I have spent most of my life here in hospitality one way or another. My son like us went to sea at 15, started on fishing boats, studied for his coxswains and med 2 and slowly worked up to Master 4 commercial. he started in the super yacht industry in Auckland at the Americas cup in 2000. and now after 30 years at sea has slowed down and doing yacht deliveries. So to answer your question NO he didn't go down the big ship path. Good to keep in touch. we have only just started wearing masks in Denham but then we are a bit slow over here. regards Mark.

13. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi JS: No. I had a job on an oil rig of broom somewhere but we had a party the night before i was due to fly out and i snapped a cartilage and ended up in hospital and that was that. My Son was taking his masters with some of the skippers on the tug tenders i believe they were mermaid marine, he reckoned they earned twice as much as he did working offshore. Mark.

15. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What crime did you do mate to end up on the Esso Chelsea as I did seven days on her to clear my book. Remember vividly seeing her for the first time and put in for discharge while signing on. Looking back would dearly love to be on her doing the power station runs hey but to bloody young to be shackled to her.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast