SS Subadar 1959 - Discharged
    Notes:
    -

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Antony Blackburn

Welcome aboard Anthony, was your next ship 'Radio Caroline' seems to be the right era

Ahipara....at the southern end of NZ's 90-mile beach.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Tony - I was R/O on Subadar from Jan '58 until the end of '59....must have just missed you, but glad there's someone else on here who was with Asiatic!
    All the best.
    Mike.

4. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Mike,
    The only reason I was on Subadar was to return to the UK via Chittagong & Rangoon. I'd been 6 trips up and down the Bay of Bengal tramping coal from Vishakpatnam to Colombo, Calcutta and sometimes Chittagong. The ship was covered in Coal Dust and it was an endless task trying to keep it clean. It wasn't what I'd expected, but got told by the OM that for the next 3 years that's what I was likely to be doing. It was bad enough having the coal handballed into the hold by the poor unfortunate Dalit's, but I found being endlessly at anchor in Colombo Roads almost as mind boggling. .-.-. Antony

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Ivan, Not quite, I think I've got a couple of years seniority on him and my jokes are certainly better. I never forgave him for divorcing Tessa, but that's another story.

6. Thanks Ivan Cloherty, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Ahipara....at the southern end of NZ's 90-mile beach.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi again Antony....guess you were on Bahadur on the Colombo coal run then? We (Subadar) had been on Rangoon coal run for several months - wasn't too bad for me with wife in Calcutta & a real good crowd on the ship. Been here in NZ for close to 50yrs now - and still with the same wife!
    Keep Well - and have a great Xmas/New Year.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Mike, No, I didn't make it onto Bahadur, Rajah had just taken over from one of the companies other vessels and I guess it must have been her. After a few trips (and Typhoons) I had an interview with the OM and asked for a transfer. That wasn't forthcoming, so we came to mutal agreement and I left. I would probably still be there but for the coal dust! (I was born in a mining village in West Yorkshire and I hated the grime.) Anyway I returned to Blighty, joined the Regular Army (National Service was due to end) served 12 years and joined the Fire Service. Been retired a few years and now live in Central England. Still married to the same woman who I married 58 years ago, she says were happily married - she's happy and I'm married. That's it in a nutshell but there's been a few gallons under the bridge in that time. Trying to write the story but its slow progress. Nearest I ever got to NZ was Queensland on the way to see my younger brother who was teaching in Vanuatu. Thanks for the good wishes. Take care yourself and keep in touch.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Blackburn View Post

Full Name
    Antony Blackburn

Notes:
    -
    Hello Tony,
    You might not remember me (Ken Curry BNS 1956/1958) but we bumped into each other in Colombo during our first trips. I served my time with Hain Steamship Company and was on the Trevince at that time. I am so glad that I served my time with them as the trip length was usually around 4/6months and felt really sorry for you expecting to do virtually three years on the same ship. I finished my time with them then spent the next forty years on tankers so was happy to stay at sea. Would certainly have done the same as you and swallowed the anchor early if I had joined a company like Asiatic. Anyway all the best and best wishes.
    Ken Curry
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 9th December 2020 at 06:56 PM.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi there. I found your post interesting.I did three years presea in The Worcester on the Thames so by the time I left had seen most of the London based ship.I joined Landaura of British India I’m May 1959 and we went Suez, Trinco then Colombo.There was a strike so we were there either at anchor or in harbour for three months. Was able to spot many new ships including those of Asiatic.
    We then went to Chalna and Chittagong,
    My father was the main port engineer and ship repairer there so was able to see my parents for a few days. So if your company needed any work done he would have been the man.
    JE Harris and Co.
    Peter

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi there Peter,
    Only just spotted your reply so I apologise for what you might think has been my tardy treatment. I remember seeing quite few BI ships when stuck in Colombo Roads. I can't say I took too much notice of what went on in our engine room, fortunately we didn't have too much go wrong with the elastic band on Rajah so I don't remember ever needing the services of anyone with brains, especially in Chittagong. Still its a small world and as the first mate used to say "Blackburn, your a D..K head" and I don't think he got it far wrong. Did you find your time at the Worcester enjoyable? I really enjoyed my time at the Boulevard where I made quite a number of good friends who over the years, I'm sad to say, I've lost contact with. You're dad must have liked his life in East Pakistan even though at that time it would have been quite basic.
    Regards
    Antony

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ken, Sorry I haven't replied before now, but like the dimwit I am I lost this thread and have only just stumbled back on it. You can tell how bad I am since this is my second attempt at sending you this missive. I tried to attach a photo of you and the 1956/58 intake at BNS with you sitting in the front row and me almost on the back. You're sitting next to Eddie Carrison who gave me the photo years ago when we met at the Fire Service College at Moreton-in-Marsh, Glocestershire, we were both on a Senior Command Course. The first time we sat in Colombo Roads it was for three weeks and I think it was the first trip we met up again. Every time we ended up there the result was the same, though the longest I recall was 6 weeks at anchor. After leaving Asiatic I joined the Royal Artillery and as my mother put it "wasted a perfectly good education" and became a professional sports person (Skiing, Football, Rugby, Hockey, Athletics - good old Tikker RiP and Sailing) to name but a few. When I wasn't doing any of those things the day job was as a Surveyor, (Old chut Jones must have taught me something worthwhile with his Rhum lines). By the time I came out of the Army I had a wife and two kids, so I had to grow up. After spending a couple of years trying to adjust to civvy life I gave up and went into the fire service and didn't leave until they chucked me out. At the time I was head of Warwickshire's Fire Investigation Team, having been variously in charge of Leamington, Stratford-upon- Avon and Rugby at different times. It was the nearest I could get to a structured life since I found it difficult to adjust to the civvy attitude of many wanting to sell their own grandmother for sixpence just to get on.
    A couple of years ago I went back to Hull to have a look at the old school, contrary to stories put about the main building is still standing and not much has changed inside (those green tiles still adorn the main stairway and the big cast iron radiators still adorn the walls). The only thing missing was all my old pals (you included) along with Smethurst, Tikker Tolson, Captain Jones, Bob Edmondson et al. Apart from yourself, Eddie Carrison is the only other person I've bumped into, although a number of familiar names do appear on this site e.g. Tex Scarratt from Thurnscoe, Derek Thorpe, Harrogate and Dave Gee although for the life of me I don't know where he was from. Anyway Ken I could go on since when you get to 80 there aint much else left to do. Before I go though, whereabouts have you finally dropped anchor?, I've been docked in Stratford-upon-Avon for the past 30years and will like as not be only leaving this berth in the "toes up" position. Keep in touch and I bet your hairs not as black as it once was.
    Regards Tony

BNS 1956 Assembly.jpg

17. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post