Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Edward Blanch (posted by Lauren his great granddaughter)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Edward Blanch (posted by Lauren his great granddaughter)

SHIPS NAME AND SERVICE RECORD

Full Name
    Edward Blanch (posted by Lauren his great granddaughter)
    Discharge Book Number
    Department
    Deck
    Your Rank/Rating
    Able seaman
    Which Ships were you on and When
    Minnekadha 1919
    Ss Tactician 1920
    Ss Osterley 1921
    Glensanda
    Hmhs St David 1944
    Ss new bedford 1944 (arctic convoys)
    Notes:
    This is a post about the service of my great grandfather edward blanch. He served in the merchant navy in ww1 both on steam ships and crew transports (especially those taking U.S soldiers back home after the war) and then signed up again in ww2. In this conflict he was involved in the arctic convoys and also transported soldiers to the front on dday. He was serving on a the hospital ship HMHS St David when it was sunk off anzio in 1944, he survived but was in the water for several hours before being rescued. The more I learn about him the more pride I feel that he was my relative and I cant imagine what it must have felt like to be serving in dangerous waters knowing any minute you might be bombed or torpedoed. Any extra info people know about his ships or service would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Edward Blanch (posted by Lauren his great granddaughter)

Hi Lauren.
    Thank you for posting your Great Grandads ships, rest assured if there is anyone with information it will be posted. One question did he receive the Russian Govt medal?
    Cheers Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

3. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Lauren
    Yes as said many thanks for posting his details and a small run up of his past.
    Many of the Seamen of those days had a hard life and were as you so rightly say Brave !
    That is why we always remember them on Merchant Navy Day and more besides.
    Hopefully there mat be some more info forthcoming from older Members.

Our thanks to you
    Cheers

His Medal Listing
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 14th November 2020 at 05:58 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's good to see his medals although maybe you could tell me what the various acronyms mean as it means very little to me. I know he got the mercantile marine medal but that it. Thanks so much for the info.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi no he didnt as far as I'm aware though as has been posted below he got some of which I dont recognise.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes as Keith has posted the Link

1939/45 War Medal
    Atlantic Star
    Italy Star
    Clasp

R697530

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow that's brilliant thank you, I assumed the atlantic medal has something to do with the convoys. Possibly the italy medal for what happened on the st david? Thanks do much for the info though I went and had a look at what they looked like as we dont have any of his medals and we're not sure what happened to them either.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

At 08:00 on 24 January 1944, the ST DAVID returned to the Anzio beachhead, anchoring some five miles out. There they were joined by the hospital ships ST ANDREW and LEINSTER. At 17:15, the three hospital ships were ordered back to sea for the night. From 18:10 onwards, the ST ANDREW, ST DAVID, LEINSTER and the outer screen of destroyers, which were in close proximity, were subjected to heavy aerial attack by enemy bombers and torpedo-carrying aircraft belonging to II./KG 100. At 18:25, a distress signal from LEINSTER stated that she had been hit by a bomb and was on fire. The ST DAVID turned towards the stricken ship, offering assistance. Seven minutes later, she received the following signal from the LEINSTER: 'No assistance required, fire extinguished, am proceeding.' The group of ships resumed their former course and headed towards the open sea.

The three hospital ships were well clear of all shipping and the outer destroyer screen by 19:00. Shortly after, an enemy aircraft flew over the ship from starboard to port, releasing four flares, which illuminated the whole area. The same aircraft, which was about 5,000 feet above sea level, then dived almost mast high before releasing two bombs. The ST DAVID was about 25 miles south-west of the Anzio beachhead, steaming at 14 knots and steering a course south 42 degrees west. The wind was south-westerly, force 3 and there was a heavy south-westerly swell. All three ships were illuminated, clearly displaying the neutral markings of a hospital ship. Despite this, at 19:22, the ST DAVID was struck in No. 3 hold, near the after end of the promenade deck, by one bomb. The ship shuddered violently.

The aircraft turned and began a third run towards the ST DAVID and two more bombs exploded alongside No 2 hold. All the lights went out and the engines stopped. The ST DAVID settled rapidly by the stern, listing 20 degrees to port. Without hesitation Captain Owens ordered 'abandon ship' and the evacuation of the patients began. However, the water ambulances situated along the starboard side fouled the ship's side, making them impossible to lower, despite the second officer's repeated efforts. The port side presented a very different picture. No. 2 water ambulance, weighing nearly two tons, was lowered into the water with a large number of patients, including six stretcher cases, and some of the ship's personnel. Unfortunately, the ambulance's rudder and propellor became fouled by ropes and, because of the heavy swell, it proved very difficult to release the vessel from the falls, owing to the weight of the hooks and the spring clips that retained them. Time was not on their side, and they only just managed to free the ambulance before the ST DAVID sank, stern-first, just five minutes after the initial hit.

Nos 4 and 6 ambulances, also situated on the port side, were not so lucky. The heavy hooks could not be released in time and both were dragged down with the sinking ship, taking an unknown number of people with them. No. 8 lifeboat, stowed on the third-class deck, was successfully launched, while four rafts also floated clear. Chief Officer B. Howell-Mendus and 19 others were in No.2 ambulance. Taking command, he circled the wreck site and picked up 17 survivors, while boat 8 (which was launched with 10 occupants) picked up about 10 others.

During the initial attack, the aerials had been blown away, thwarting any attempt to send a distress signal. At first, the masters of the ST ANDREW and LEINSTER thought that Captain Owens had extinguished his Geneva light to avoid attack. It was not until the chief officer signalled, 'ST DAVID sunk, SOS', by torch, that they realised their misunderstanding. Thirty minutes later, they lowered lifeboats and began the rescue. By 21.15 all the survivors were on board (about 100 in the LEINSTER and over fifty in the ST ANDREW).

Captain Owens had been last seen swimming in the water. He was not seen again, losing his life with 12 of his crew, 22 Royal Army Medical Corps (including 2 nursing sisters from the Reserve QAIMNS, Sarah Dixon and Winnie Harrison) and 22 patients. 159 people were picked up, six were injured.

'Beyond the Call of Duty': The loss of British Commonwealth Mercantile and Service Women at Sea During the Second World War by Brian James Crabb.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins, David Goodwin thanked for this post
    Likes Norman Brice liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Roberts View Post
    Wow that's brilliant thank you, I assumed the atlantic medal has something to do with the convoys. Possibly the italy medal for what happened on the st david? Thanks do much for the info though I went and had a look at what they looked like as we dont have any of his medals and we're not sure what happened to them either.
    The Atlantic Star is a military campaign medal, instituted by the United Kingdom in May 1945 for award to British Commonwealth forces who took part in the Battle of the Atlantic, the longest continuous campaign of the Second World War. Two clasps were instituted and could be worn on the medal ribbon.

As there are no X marked on any of his Medals, seems they were not claimed, so as a next of Kin i think you may be entitled to apply but you will have to Email and ask.
    Cheers

Read through this Article First Lauren

https://support.britishlegion.org.uk...ing-for-medals
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 15th November 2020 at 04:35 AM.

R697530

16. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

The link seems to be for armed forces via MOD,
    adding MN link via Cardiff RSS incase it is helpful.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...plication-form

Keith.

18. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast