Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: William (Bill) Scouller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: William (Bill) Scouller

#1. William I see you sailed with Ben Line for some time. Did you ever come across a John Ritchie who I believe was there probably as Chief Officer during your time there . I finished up sailing as mate with him for nigh on 4 years off shore . He was a man in his sixties in the early eighties and unfortuanetley died with a Brain tumour about 1983/4. He was at sea during the war years and lived and breathed Ben Line , he was bosun with them and believe
    He got up to chief officer with them or maybe master but he never spoke about the master bit. Just a query as I found him a gentleman but beleive he had had a problem with the drink, why I say that is not being discrimatory but he had the habit of standing very close to you and appeared to be smelling your breath. Anyhow a fine old salt and just wondered if your paths ever crossed. Regards JS. Think he also did some time as a Singapore pilot JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 1st March 2024 at 12:55 PM.
    R575129

2. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi J, John Ritchie , the name certainly rings a bell but after this length of time I cannot be sure I actually sailed with him. My memory tells me he was Chief Off. but really cannot be sure.
    Bill Scouller

- - - Updated - - -

Hi John, sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your post, I do remember you well, I remember one Christmas time when you went out of your way to do something special for us all on board by doing individual Beef welingtons and one member of the crew saming it was a fine meat pie!!!!! i seem to remember that you were not well pleased.
    Good to hear from you john and hope you are well and still enjoying your retirement.
    Bill Scouller

4. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Bill , he must have died about 1984. A Quiet spoken Scotsman. We both stopped smoking at the same time and used to watch each other like hawks that neither fell by the wayside . I caught him close to when I left the ship and going back into the North Sea smoking a cigar and started to bollick him before he explained that he had inoperable cancer of the brain and only had so many months left, so was making the most of things and doing the things he liked doing. JS
    As regards the meat pie that wasn’t me I never sailed with JR deep sea this was on a saturation diving ship. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 31st March 2024 at 01:40 PM.
    R575129

6. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bill I’m from way back in the 60s Alan Smith j/4th Engineer on the Hurley Beacon, whilst going through some old photos I found one of you practicing your hairdressing skills on Denis Metcalfe the 2nd Engineer at the time, that was back when 18 months was a short trip, nice to know your still around

8. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alan E H Smith,
    Hi Alan, May I appologise that I cannot remember everyone who was with us on the H.B. I still have some fond memories of my time on her and still keep in touch with the R/O David Barlow and had a brief correspondance with Wilfred the deck apprentice. However you are the olny one to respond to my career posting> The hair dressing thing I remember having a go with various of the guys on board but didn't take it up as a hobby or anything after that time. Good to hear from you and if you want to a copy of your photo would help rekindle some forgotten happenings.
    All thew best to you. Bill Scouller.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2