Discharge Book Number
    R911884
    Department
    Deck
    Your Rank/Rating
    deck boy/JOS/EDH
    Which Ships were you on and When
    M V Wilmington. 23/08/72 -30/08/72
    S S Hardwicke Grange. 9/11/72 - 2/01/73.
    S S Hardwicke Grange. 14/01/73 - 8/03/73.
    M V Orenda Bridge. 6/04/73 - 4/08/73.
    S S Joya McCance. 10/10/73 - 12/04/74.
    M V Orotava Bridge. 28/05/74 - 9/07/74.
    M S Maersk Captain. 22/07/74 - 21/09/74.
    M V Cymbeline. 2/10/74 - 28/10/74.
    Notes:
    Didn't do long at sea, left that to join the Army and did 22 years in the Army, thinking I would not be at sea again. But after doing the Army commando course I ended up on the RFA ships, Sir Bedivere, (old and new one) Sir Lancelot, Sir Percival; I think there is one more but can't think of the name of it. Sailed on all of these many times. Did anyone else join the Armed services from the merchant navy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ian Avery

In the 1955 Seamens strike, quite a few were called up for National Service, so that broke the strike and all the others went back to sea.
    My old mate Fred was a Cunard Steward, he was one who was called up for National Service, so he joined the Regulars instead as they got better leave and Pay. He joined the Grenadier Guards,
    I heard that he was a recruit at at Pirbright Guards Depot,, and I had just arrived in London after a five month voyage, so I went Pirbright, to see if he was getting on OK,

I saw the Guard at the gate and told him I was looking for Fred Nuttall, he directed me to a hut, There was a dormitory and a room that had Sergeant Fred Nuttall on the door, I knocked and thought he done OK , in the Guards and a RSM in six weeks.
    A big fellow opened the door, He wasn't my Fred, after a few choice words including `Get Your Haircut`, he informed me that my Fred had gone on a weekend leave, Odd that the two had the same name.
    Fred eventually got a Commission and went on to be a Major in the Kings Regiment.

3. Thanks Ken Norton, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

A quick hello from myself,
    hope to hear more from you
    and hope that you will both
    find much of interest here and
    enjoy the site.

Regards,

Keith.

5. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Capitan, When I left the merchant navy I had shoulder length hair, when I went to join the Army, the barbers at the joining up centre were butchers, short back and side were very short. The Army in national service times was quite tough; I would say most servicemen would say it was tough when you joined up. When I came out to civy street, I was told when I went for job interviews, lot of employers don't like Army chaps as they shout too much! (not true honest guv) we are very nice really. Haha.