Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Robin (BOB) Deal

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Robin (BOB) Deal

Must have done a lot of coasting trips on those Kiwi runners. When I was with Blue Funnel in the early 50's there were a few old timers who only coasted, that is, did Liverpool to Glasgow/Swansea and back. Two weeks at the most, could have been for health reasons and compassionate grounds.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is quite believable if those were all ore carriers on Bisco charter with the longest trip about 6 weeks and on running agreement. some used to change ships every time back in UK. must have filled up discharge book very quick. The old discharge book had places for 60 discharges so book in less than 5 years must be over half full. Anyone ever count the ships on Bisco charter, just as a matter of interest ? I am sure Bob can satisfy our curiosity there must be a simple explanation. Cheers JWS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Is quite believable if those were all ore carriers on Bisco charter with the longest trip about 6 weeks and on running agreement. some used to change ships every time back in UK. must have filled up discharge book very quick. The old discharge book had places for 60 discharges so book in less than 5 years must be over half full. Anyone ever count the ships on Bisco charter, just as a matter of interest ? I am sure Bob can satisfy our curiosity there must be a simple explanation. Cheers JWS
    I was on the Orelia, Houlders iron ore boat, I don't know if she was on Bisco charter but I joined her on the 4th. Sept. and paid off on 5th. Oct.1958 so just one month. I would have liked to stay on her as she was a good job but didn't like the mate. (we did Irlam(Manchester) to Pepel and back to Dagenham.)

Manchester Liners were short trips of only a month and we changed articles every trip. Manchester/Montreal/Manchester. with ten days in Manchester. The Lake runners were a bit longer, could sometimes be two months. This was before containers took over, I suppose they went on Running agreement then.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first ore carrier was the Pennyworth as mate in 1964. they were on 6 months running agreement then. which meant 72 hours notice before arrival. if you didn't do the term of the articles then you were liable for your own travelling expenses home, the Orellia was I believe on Bisco charter also British Iron and Steel was a nationilized industry then that's why the overtime was so good you were paying yourself. Longest trips were South America and South Africa. The South African one was very rare. Went to the pool in Newcastle looking for a job on the coast, talked out of it and taken upstairs to RS Dalgliesh was something like out of a Dickens novel, these two superintendants sitting at high wooden desks scowling at each other. didn't even know what an ore carrier was, sent down to Middlesborough to look at the ship. the master that was there had sailed with him when I was an apprentice and he was mate, after 6 or so beers went off home to get my gear and was there for 12 months. easiest ships in the world to work for a mate. Cheers JWS PS The Engineering Super believe he was from Blue Funnel a Mr. Bulmer in 1964 he would have been in his sixties, the Deck Supt. don't know what companys he had been with but was about the same age a Capt. Phillips. To get 5 gallon of paint out of him you had to undergo a third degree to see what you needed it for.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 1st April 2018 at 03:08 AM.

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Fred,

Good on you I sailed on a few Port ships in the 60’s

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the ferries in Weymouth in thr old Sealink days , used gallonsof blue hull colour paint , every fishing boat was the same tone, some lighter some darker but unmistakably Sealink Blue
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quite Legit Bob ,may be off for the Easter Break. Matches with his Profile etc!
    Cheers

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/members/20882.html

Reference: BT 372/2635/22
    Description: R815366 DEAL R E 16/01/1948 WITHAM ESSEX
    Date: 1913 - 1972
    Held by: The National Archives, Kew
    Former reference in its original department: R815366
    Legal status: Public Record(s)
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 1st April 2018 at 10:10 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

13. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes donald w gillies liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bob.
    I know this will be no comparison as you are talking deep sea, but on the NZ coast I was on 20 ships from 57 to 64 but that was coasting and Trans Tasman. On the British ships I did four trips to Aus on one ship the Trevose all up it was two years, more or less just there and back.
    I think as Vernon has pointed out you were at the Vindi a year before me in 48.
    Maybe Bob is a bit like me getting a bit stuffed ha ha.
    Cheers Des

15. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 21 years I was on 7 ships with British and Commonwealth one with Gulf Oil for two trips and 7 with British Rail so I did 15 ships in 20 years . In the British and Commonwealth subsidiary Union Castle in an eight weeks didn't of working by I think I covered additional 9 ships although not signed on . And I thought I had a lot of ships . I was told though wanting to go to the Union castle mail ships just to get a taste for it to do at least four voyages otherwise it would look like after 5 weeks of time that you had been booted off if you didn't do a multiple number of trips
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

17. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rob for the period 65 to 69 I was on 3 ships. The Ravensworth, Sunprincess (Canada) , Maratha Endeavour ( Indian ). JS

19. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast