Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Malcolm C Downing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Malcolm C Downing

we are still getting personal attacks from the same quarters , and what seems to be wind ups ,m so for anyone to return the same scenario will happen , political jibes , the I love Jeremy brigade will drop left wing comments knowing it will get a reaction , then edit the post to change the emphasis , whilst I agree with you Cappy , until the post editing , private message brigade grow up , I foresee failure
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

2. Thanks Captain Kong, cappy thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi KT ,

No mention at all about distance or even to be used as a pass port.
    This is the red ID, mine was issued in Feb.1987 and valid until 1998. I retired then.
    It only mentions it should, be produced to an Employer, Superintendent or his Officer, or Master, of his ship,

I have used my Discharge book as a passport, when I used to fly to the Gulf and back it is stamped on several pages in Arabic.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 17th March 2018 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Brian, maybe memory on distance from port is wrong. I the same as yourself joined ships abroad and the discharge book was the passport, i never owned a passport in all my time at sea, kt

5. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I joined Gulf Oil , I had to use my passport to get the USA entry visa
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

7. Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    ##an invite back to some now lost who have contributed immensly to requests for family searches and certainly had a sense of humour would be in my view a great bonus to all on the site after all it was nice to have a fiesty womans view .....yes a couple or so would disagree but the decision is of course brians .....just my thought ......many had double DRs but still got back aboard and were good seapersons.......said with great humility cappy
    My VNC From a mans run, not to be confused with a double header, Hopefully compliments the quote Regards RM.

9. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have my dad's seaman's identity card issued in 1952, along with that Argentina landing permit someone else mentioned. His i.d. card has photo of him along with fingerprints. There is also a section headed spare 1 and spare 2, in which there is inserted the names and addresses of two different people. I can only decipher one and that is of a Captain living in West Avenue, South Shields. The name has no family relationships nor can I find it in my dad's discharge book so I have no idea where it comes from or even why it was required to be on his i.d.
    Along with my first discharge book I was issued with a red seaman's i.d. book, long since lost. The only time I recall ever useing it was in the mission on the jetty at Mina Al Ahmadi, though I seem to recall having to carry it with me when joining for some reason or other. Did its number get entered into the section on the articles that listed your next of kin and home address? As master filling out the articles for the crew members, that section asked for their passport number. With some new IMO regs that came in latterly I think that there is a requirement fore all seafarers to have a internationally recognised Seaman's Passport, in addition to there national passport. This seaman's passport is, I think, an attempt to prevent identity fraud to obtain a licence you are not entitled to.
    Rgds
    J.A.

11. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    we are still getting personal attacks from the same quarters , and what seems to be wind ups ,m so for anyone to return the same scenario will happen , political jibes , the I love Jeremy brigade will drop left wing comments knowing it will get a reaction , then edit the post to change the emphasis , whilst I agree with you Cappy , until the post editing , private message brigade grow up , I foresee failure
    I will attempt to put this as gently as possible, Doc made it clear not to raise the subject again, lacking wisdom I appear to have done just that, so those that I may have offended,I hope you will make room in your heart for forgiveness. The same individual who played one against the other on here has just been removed from SN for the same tactics. I remain sincerely yours RM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know for certain that little notice was taken of the seaman ID, my ID card became to be in tatters and had to be replaced, i was sent somewhere close to Prescott St pool to have a new photo taken for the new card, and held a board up at chest height with my discharge book number in a holder. He has transposed my ID card number by mistake, so it read R686823, instead of R689823 !!, i sailed with that ID card and the wrong number for the next 3 years, including the states, and it was never picked up, kt

14. Thanks robpage thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have searched for my original ID card, issued in 1952, It was green and that one had the ten finger prints on, the later one, the Red One does not have finger prints. Cannot find it. but I know I never handed it in.

16. Likes Roger Millard liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thats my recollection Brian, the green one which had finger prints on it, kt

18. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast