Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Malcolm C Downing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Malcolm C Downing

#16... Vernon we know all the regulars on here. Ideally if a joining member is a legitimate ex seafarer or not he may not want to disclose his number for various reasons, but if legitimate and he does most seamen will compare the number to his own to see what era he’s from, most do this and don’t even know they are doing it is a normal reflex. There are two main ways of tracing a seafarer to my mind, one is his dis book, and the other his NHI number.the recent lady looking for her father if she had either would have been not too hard to trace by. If she had the time of her conception and the knowledge of what ships in port at time and if a FG ship, the articles of agreement would have been lodged ashore, and if a record was kept of same there would be a crew list, and both dis. Number and NHI number would be on that crew list, it’s a huge task and one for Sherlock Holmes maybe , but depending on the record keeping of various government departments it is feasible. The first point would be a record of all ships in port at the especial date, from the harbour masters office or customs clearance house for that particular date in question and then the big spy glass comes out, and Watson gets into the act. Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th March 2018 at 12:02 AM.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Captain Kong, Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Likes Trader, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That comment of mine JS was merely to see how many would put their Number on ,just as a sort of trademark if you like was not meant in any way to find out if or not they are Genuine.
    It is just a sort of uniformity like the Mug Shots in the Gallery and would in some cases help a lot when doing research work for some!
    I myself and I know others too that are Proud to show their Numbers here ,but as said there may be other reasons . Will leave it to each individual of course!
    But agree with what you say anyway!
    Cheers

PS If there be ant that would like this done and cannot do it themselves,i would be happy to assist where I can,just PM me with your Number and I will see if I can put in it with your Signature!
    Thanks ALL
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 16th March 2018 at 12:16 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Trader, Richard Quartermaine liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It’s the one tangible link that the old retired seafarer has of the past, that and his memories and is not ashamed of either. Whether good or bad. JWS.

6. Thanks donald w gillies thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Captain Kong;299730]Hi John
    My Number was R576086, March 1952.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Hi. Brian, my number is R 571764, issued in April 1952. A difference of 4322. Mine was issued a month after yours. Doesn't make sense.. I presume you got yours in Liverpool. I got mine in Birkenhead as my first ship was Blue Funnel and they always signed on there..

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Richard Quartermaine liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#24 that’s why I think every shipping office were issued with books, and depending on the call for is how there are small discrepancy’s.. However would of thought the first number would probably cover the year(s) of issue. A 5 being 52/53 and so on. The other numbers just running in sequence. Can’t see too many books being printed until the. Previous batch was nearly consumed, and this would vary from shipping office to shipping office. Mine was issued from North Shields Shipping Office which was almost next to the Jungle. Within a couple of years the office ceased to exist and all mercantile business was transferred to South Shields. Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th March 2018 at 03:47 AM.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon, donald w gillies thanked for this post
    Likes Trader liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Addition to above. I have 3 discharge books, all full I might add, plus paper discharges and is the reason there are a few ships short on the ones I sailed on as have no records the paper discharges managing to get lost. The first book as said was issued in North Shields 16 June 1953
    Second book Issued 12 April 1973 Glasgow
    Third book issued 13 June 1985 Aberdeen
    All have same number
    All contain same info. Re pension fund number and NHI number and various other info.
    Can’t remember what waiting time there was between books but there must have been to retain the same number. The second and third books are different as contain no conduct and ability reports. So by 1973 that had been done away with. JWS

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Trader, Richard Quartermaine liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I cannot see any reason for a genuine seaman to withold their Dis A number from this site, if anyone thinks it helps with secrecy then they may be sadly mistaken, our lives are an open book to all authorities (and those not authorised also). At our local surgery when making an appointment, they don't even ask for your name, just your date of birth and then they tell you your name

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Captain Kong;299730]Hi John
    My Number was R576086, March 1952.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Hi. Brian, my number is R 571764, issued in April 1952. A difference of 4322. Mine was issued a month after yours. Doesn't make sense.. I presume you got yours in Liverpool. I got mine in Birkenhead as my first ship was Blue Funnel and they always signed on there..

Hi Trader,
    I got my Book at the Vindicatrix in Sharpness. So did a lot of other lads, Some went straight from the Vindi to a ship without going home first , so a book was necessary at that time.

15. Likes Doc Vernon, cappy, Trader liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Lacey View Post
    My discharge book no. is R525985 issued December 1949......F.
    Note the avatar change, good to be aboard lads been here for ages really, where is my cabin?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by roger millard View Post
    Note the avatar change, good to be aboard lads been here for ages really, where is my cabin?
    #####there is only one left the minus is it is over the steering flat ..the bigger minus is your sharing with mary .......and the door will be opening and shutting all bloody night as her visitors from the old man to the galley boy are paying visits......lol cappy

18. Likes Captain Kong, Doc Vernon, j.sabourn liked this post
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast