Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: William (Billy) Turner

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: William (Billy) Turner

#21..I was in Karachi in 1969/70 as took a cargo of coke there from Gdansk (Poland). There was also a naval action which I knew nothing about but one of the members on this site remember him posting about, the naval ships were Indian and Pakistani but a British merchant ship suffered casualties. I was oblivious to this and we even sailed from Karachi to Bombay. My biggest concern was we had Chinese crew and china and India at the time were having border skirmishes. A voyage not completed did not mean he had jumped ship just that he had not completed the Articles of Agreement. However the master was at liberty to enter hospitalised in his book, must have been one of those who should have had further tests at his own medical. Rgds JWS.

2. Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JWS Th British cargo ship Harmattan, J and C Harrisons of London was hit by an Indian missile in December 1971. Maybe another ship also hit earlier?

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have to disagree with you John. To have a VNC in your book means you either missed or jumped ship. When paying off sick or flying home for an emergency such as serious illness or death in the family your book is stamped with the date and port of discharge plus two VGs.

6. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If a person is hospitalized there is no reason whatsoever that the master can't pay him off and fill in the report on character and ability wth VG. Is immaterial today as there are no such discharges. In the case of W Turner he was apparently hospitalised . As regards the flare up between the Indians and Pakistanis I would have to check up with my dates that was in the area, but regardless I still knew nothing about I until read on here. Cheers JWS.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A three hatch?? A market boat??? Please explain. Ta

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Pam, A ship that has three hatches or cargo holds, A Market Boat was usually a small cargo ship that ran down to Spain and Portugal bringing back fruit, wines and cases of tinned fish etc for the markets.
    The photo of the Eastbank in Des`s Post above is a Five hatch / holds, ship.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 3rd September 2017 at 01:23 PM.

11. Thanks Pam Turner thanked for this post
    Likes Pam Turner, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's really helpful to know, thanks for the link. Did you go in person to the library, or did you access the VRCs online? Have had a look at their website since your post several times, however it isn't clear, to me at least,how you go about getting info online from them.

The maritime museum in Liverpool holds some ships details in their archive but the archive closed two days ago until next spring for refurbishment, so that avenue is closed to me for the time being.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I paid off sick at Shanghai in January 1962 my discharge book was stamped with 2 VG,s I spent 4 weeks in hospital and 1 week in the Shanghai seaman's club then I was put on a train for a 2 day journey to Hong Kong I spent 4 days in Hong Kong then I was flown home I still have my Chinese visa made from rice paper and 3 train tickets I even have my plane tickets it cost the company £208 to fly me home after having the flown me out to join her 4 months earlier best regards Dave .

14. Thanks cappy, Pam Turner thanked for this post
    Likes Pam Turner, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Pam,

Below you will find two 'pics' of the M.V 'Mercian' (Ellerman, Papayanni) on which your Dad sailed in 1964 & '66. I was a member of her crew in 1960 so, unfortunately, would not have crossed paths with Dad. As described by Brian (Captain Kong), the 'Mercian' was a general cargo ship of a type commonly referred to as a 'Market Boat'. For many years she was engaged on the run from Liverpool or London to Oporto (Portugal) and I feel sure that this is where your father would have sailed in her. Usually she would carry general cargo out to Oporto, then after discharge her holds would be filled with barrels of port wine solely for the consumption of those discerning 'Brits' who loved a little tipple after dinner. The crew of the 'Mercian' and her sister ship "Lucian' were known to have a fondness for port wine...I wonder why?

......Roger Mercian-01.jpgMercian-05.jpg

With apologies for the delay in uploading the images
    Last edited by Roger Dyer; 11th October 2017 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for all the very helpful posts I have received.

I have attached some photos of Dad, some ashore and just two afloat. Of the two afloat:-
    1) The first afloat I think is mid 50s possibly on his maiden trip - in formal uniform and smoking a pipe - never knew him to smoke a pipe, Capstan full strength yes, until he packed it in in his late 30s or early 40s.
    2) The second photo is I think 60s, in his boiler suit, on deck, sporting a beard, usually he was clean shaven, all that he wrote on the back was that the other chap was the 4th (engineer).Dads Seamans Photo.pdf

17. Thanks Doc Vernon, Captain Kong, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Frank Thorp liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4