Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thomas Seel

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Thomas Seel

Hi Thomas,
    Spent nearly nine years in Fiji before being transferred to SEA. On Port Line and Shaw Savill it was the OZ/NZ voyages and the Aussie ships coastal, PNG and nearby PIs. So Singapore in 1968 with a wife and a couple of kids in a very nice house was most acceptable. Living there and covering all of SEA meant regularly visiting Sarawak, Brunei, Labuan, Sabah, Philippines, Indonesia, W. Malaysia (yes, Port Swettenham is now Klang - and still as hot!) and Thailand. The best years in history I would imagine - and plenty of old time "atmosphere". My 3 1/2 years down in Jakarta in the mid 70s setting up our Indonesian joint venture with excellent local partners was at just the right time.
    We left S'pore in the beginning of 1987 also at about the right time (they'd just brought out car stickers "Thank you for not spitting". Our daughter was 6 when we first went there and had gone to Oz and was getting married, Our son was 5 and at 21 was no longer 'a dependent' so was given two weeks to go. So we decided to go back to OZ.
    I like the way it turned out for you. Not the cad Lieutenant Pinkerton for whom Madama Butterfly was scolding her maid Suzuki for doubting his integrity.
    Photos of S'pore 1960s
    Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Richard Quartermaine; 23rd March 2017 at 11:32 AM.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

2. Thanks cappy, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi "JWS" no need to leave Japan & apply for another visa. Got "permanent resident" visa many years ago now. (Can't remember exactly when, but been here close to 40 years). Sorry but don't remember a Les McGowan. I spent all my time with Swires on the "Bulkies". Funny thing is that, although B & S was a HK based outfit, I NEVER went to HK during the years I served on the Swire ships. (Visited many times with Blue Funnel & Glen, though). I do know one ex-Swire engineer in NZ - Colin Taylor. He is also married to a Japanese lady. We exchange Xmas cards still.
    Cheers,
    Tom
    PS OF COURSE I remember Clancy's bar - it was a regular "port of call" in Kobe

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dear "JWS", I replied to this yesterday, but don't see it in the "posts", so must have made a mistake.
    Living in Japan much easier now. I have "permanent resident" visa. CLANCY'S bar - say no more!! Usually one of the first "ports of call" in Kobe.
    Don't (think) I know Leo McGowan, however, I spent all my time in Swires on "bulkies". Do know engineer living in NZ - Colin Taylor - still exchange Christmas cards. His wife is Japanese, too.
    Excuse rush -0 previous reply was a bit lengthier, but I must go out soon
    Best, Toim

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks your reply, knew Clancys was either Kobe or Osaka and the toss of a coin proved wrong. Its not the person you refer to however, I would have to go back a few posts to remember and every time I send an email have to go off line and reboot the computer, getting someone to have a look at later. Went to a place in Japan once called Onahama and cant find on a map, but rather think it was in the area of the nucleur power station that went rogue a few years back. Most ports otherwise were on the Inland Seas, and the Inland seas were still mined at the time, Last time in Japan was on a ship built by Mitzibushi and did the guarantee drydocking on her in Yokohama, quite a party with the shipyard people when survey was over. Cheers JS

8. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Tom, just missed you there! I was on the Peisander the trip before 8/71 to 11/71!! Can't remember where exactly just Far East!! Great Times!!
    Cheers. Alan Fairley.

10. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my dad was on the apapa for a time George quilliam ......do you rem his name/

12. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi don’t know if I replied to you ......my dad wasn’t good on names lol Sadley I lost my dad in March this year ,it’s bin very hard and I miss him so much .....l.im going to Kew as soon as we can to get a list of ships he was on maybe there’s a crew name list if there is I’ll let you know ....hope your keeping well x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2