22 mv Saint Nazair Elder Dempsters 3 trips 1979
    23 mv Magda Josefina ex mv Falaba
    24 mv Wiltshire 1980 Bibby line 2 trips
    25 mv Hampshire
    26 mv Stafordshire
    27 mv Devonshire
    28 mv Wiltshire
    29 mv lincolnshire 3 trips
    30 my last ship at sea mv Hampshire paid off Singapore 29.2.84 very sad day i was made redundant by the british shipping federation pier head liverpool
    Notes:
    -
    Last edited by Mike Hall; 10th February 2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Capital letters and spelling

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: john clark

john with all your skills as a ab you would have been a find for the oil rigs big money and the stand by boates hope you went that way

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John you were made redundant a year before me from the federation. I clung on till the last and finished up with just over 1100 pounds redundancy, certainly hope you did better. Regards John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#2... William if you think 16 pounds a day in 1984 on the stand by boats good money, so be it. It was the worse paid job for seamen in the offshore Industry. Most companies gave a few days leave after 5/6 weeks, so if wanted to go back on same ship had to apply for dole. Most companies also had to pay own expenses travelling. Courses such as first aid and firefighting had also to pay yourself if didn't stay with same company for 1 year. They all had individual agreements depending on which company. The supply and towing was different and they had a more civilized approach where conditions and salary was twice as good at least. Was not just a matter of getting a job as easy as that, as was a different world than deep sea. Also they had ships laying up at various times, if ship was laid up so were you. When this happened to me I was fortuanate enough to have contacts in foreign flag vessels and go back deep sea for whatever length of time it took. Regards John Sabourn PS as regards rig work there were very few ex seafarers on rigs, those that were all had rigging experience. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 9th February 2014 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#4......in 1984 girls in my factory were getting 15 to 16 quid a day for working on sewing machine ......ok they didnt get any keep but I always found speaking to rig men the money was not big unless you were top management.....the shore wallahs always thought seamen well paid cos they came home with big bucks.......but look at thehours when you couldntspend your brass seamans wages were only reasonable cos you got 3 squares a day mainly better grub than you could afford at home

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was talking to a guy I know quite on Friday,he is a steward with RFA.He tells me he nets 2 grand a month,his deductions include £100 pm pension contribution to which RFA contribute another £100pm.He has just done four months on so he now has three months off on full pay.
    Regards.
    Jim.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy after 2 or 3 weeks out in North Sea things could get rather smelly. None of this showering when you felt like it as fresh water usually at a premium on some of those old trawlers. Were on call 24 hours a day. Food was not what most seamen were used to deep sea, and certainly no where near the sumptuous rigs. Tossed around for 24 hours a day especially in winter. Even on the supply boats an awful lot who came from deep sea couldn't take the weather and were sick a lot of the time and packed up. If you weren't prepared to go with a bucket round your neck when sick it was the gangway when back in port. On the supply boats spent a lot of time being washed up and down the deck, some wore wet suits to be more mobile it was one eye on the sea and one on the crane hook, used to work in pairs and watch out for each other. Those who think seamen have a soft life, have never seen the North sea in winter from the deck of a trawler or supply boat. Its really great when you think about it being retired, let some other mug do it. Cheers John S.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8 not a jolly jack tar then john

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very nice Jim would consider a job like that if it was around in my time. Cheers John S

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got quite Jolly at times in the pub in Aberdeen after doing 4 weeks out there. I take my hat off to the fishermen who mostly manned these vessels, they were used to long spells at sea when fishing but were also used to more than 16 pounds a day. I was never sea sick so suppose I was jolly, jolly lucky and only just managing to pay the mortgage. Every winter there was a fisherman went down, of course this was never big enough news for the press and might get a couple of lines in Page 3. Some scaffolder falls off the rig and is headlines. Cheers John S. PS sorry forgot to mention with the new Health and Safety regulations were liable now to get the sack if seen in the pub. So be a good boy and just have a walk around the harbour and go to you piece of foam mattress masquerading as a bed, or as some ships to your sleeping bag. John S.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th February 2014 at 09:57 AM.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast