Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brian Kelly

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: briankelly

Brian,I have just noticed Carinthia August 61.I was on her for my 21st birthday 7/8/40.I jumped on her for one trip in the platehouse,my fellow platemen found out it was my birthday and got a couple of cases of ale and got the Fecci to make a cake which was a surprise after we came back from the Pig.What was a surprise to them was I had got 3 bottles of Aussie Whites in Yate's before we sailed.It was unbelievable once the Aussie White's were opened people were coming from everywhere the smell of the wine wafted through the gloryhole,you know what seaman were like for the Aussie White in Liverpool they could smell it at 2 miles.I only did the one trip every night in the Pig was like the London Palladium,the winger in his tux thought he was Bruce Forsyth,Terry "fingers" Finnan on the piano and the "Golly On The Jar" on the drum and one of my cabin mates on the tea chest base, some great singers.Was I glad tobe there at the time with Wrexham lager at 9 pence a pint,NO, I was coming to the time when going away to sea was no longer fun,maybe because it was first trip after getting married.
    Regards.
    JimB.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I knew I had seen you before Jim. So we sailed together.
    You kept that quiet, I never saw any Ozzy White . I was QM that trip so in the wheelhouse at the time.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see that we sailed together on the Carinthia aug sept 61 cap,n I was a tourist mule at the time , I got off her when on fire watch in Liverpool and went ashore for a pint and ended up bevied and fell asleep in one of the cabins , I was also on her that april for one trip .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That was the trip the Steward was battered and then allegedly dumped over the wall homeward bound in the Western.
    I was on the 4 to 8 watch in the wheelhouse when he was reported missing and I turned the ship around for a couple of hours but no joy.
    I remember the Captain saying to the Mate log it as suicide, if passengers think the crew are killing each other it will be bad for the company. and that was that.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi Charlie on the mataroa her last trip to kiwi she then went to the breakers by the way I was on the john holt with you I was s o s my last ship mv anabisi 1955 dec in constructional eng till2004 heart attack ok now derrick o connor a/b also on john holt all the best for 2014 bk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes rigger i remember now we had a good crowed on her.How are getting on? hope all is well with you.I see you are on line now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian do you ever see any of the crowed off the John Holt, Derrick O Conner Danny, forget his surname, Joe Halleron, think Joe was with us that trip hered later he fell off the mast table and killed .Good guy.forget the names of the rest of the crowed probably come back to me later.bad luck having the H.Aattack Brian hope everything is ok now.What made you go shore side.I gave it away in 1993 after an accident in1990on the Aussie coast.
    Been living in Australia for comming on 44 years,got a house on the Mid North Coast of New South Wales.Backed out of a star boat 69,in Aukland went on the coast in N.Z. for a while then flew accross the ditch to OZ got on the coast here,and been here since.Last time i was home was about 16 or 17 years ago.Good to hear from you i remember you mentiond being shipmates befor.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Hannah View Post
    Brian do you ever see any of the crowed off the John Holt, Derrick O Conner Danny, forget his surname, Joe Halleron, think Joe was with us that trip hered later he fell off the mast table and killed .Good guy.forget the names of the rest of the crowed probably come back to me later.bad luck having the H.Aattack Brian hope everything is ok now.What made you go shore side.I gave it away in 1993 after an accident in1990on the Aussie coast.
    Been living in Australia for comming on 44 years,got a house on the Mid North Coast of New South Wales.Backed out of a star boat 69,in Aukland went on the coast in N.Z. for a while then flew accross the ditch to OZ got on the coast here,and been here since.Last time i was home was about 16 or 17 years ago.Good to hear from you i remember you mentiond being shipmates befor.
    Bit late answering Charlie I also bailed out of the materoa in Auckland 1957 got caught put in mount Eden then sent home. Derick o Connor passed on few years back. He worked on construction sites with me. I pack the sea in. Got married. To be at home but ended up working all over the shop Libya Algeria holland. Also worked offshore for a few years made a lot of dough my son and grandsons also in the game hope your keeping in good health an old schoolmate was on the Aussie Coast. Albert read Mabel you knew him I was suppose to go on a job in wangarei in north island few years back glad I didn't it was a cock up between the government and the union. They wanted to scab it. No chance. Bk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Brian Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by rigger View Post
    SHIPS NAME AND SERVICE RECORD
    Full Name
    Brian Kelly
    Discharge Book Number
    R 648869
    Department
    Deck
    Your Rank/Rating
    Deckboy/AB
    Which Ships were you on and When
    Aureole may 1956,Oti 56,
    Mataroa e o ,England ,pizzaro, reventazon, chicanoa, Baltic comet , john holt, southern prince, makeni palm, Arabic ,san Fernando, port Lincoln, Canadian star ,Tasmania star, automedon, theseus ,reina del mar ,empress of france ,media ,Carinthia, bresia, Phrygia, sycamore ,oakmore, temple main, arakaka, anabisi ,british gull , pinto, andalusian, sicillian, flaminian ,catanian, William wheelwrite ,sarah bowater ,waiwera run job, arcadian,
    Notes:
    lost first book was full second book only a few ships recorded at sea till 1965 ashore in construction industry retired now
    Hi Brian were you the O.S. on the John Holt,i was on quite a few of the ships you sailed on only one at the same time.Who was you rigging with what company?

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Brian just noticed your new post,sad news about derick o conner,R.i.p.wangareiAs---e of the worled there brian how did you end up there?Sounds like you made good use of your time back home Brian hope you also are in good health, as i am apart fron the Ossteo arthritis but small price to pay for the life we had.I carried on at sea both on the kiwi coast and the Oz coast,retired completey after accident on a chemical tanker done the back in finnished with four titanium screws and half a coil of baling wire in spine ok after a few years enjoyed myself playing golf and other past time for years after.finnished with the sea completely in 93 moved to the mid north coast and still going strong.Glad to hear you are doing well and had a good life.
    What union was it Brian most of the unions over here were strong in them days S>U>A> was one of the strongest but i must say there were some bloody week b---- in them. different story these days not many unionist left thees days not like the earlie times like we went through.
    Can't place this guy Albert you mention,was he on the John holt with us? Good to chat with you brian Take care.Cheers, Charlie P/s Brian when you left the Mataroa,i joined her took her to the breakers.
    Last edited by Charlie Hannah; 12th June 2014 at 02:42 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Brian Kelly

The company at marsdent point wangarai was fletcher construction ut I worked for most of uk company's some Dutch a lot of USA company's didn't stay with any one followed the money they only want yr sweat I just wanted the dough just do vacations now. We visit my sister in Los Angeles a lot and winter in Cyprus and canaries stay well Charlie. Bk

11. Likes Charlie Hannah liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast