Thread: Filling in the gaps for my dad - Don Munro

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Filling in the gaps for my dad - Don Munro

Do you remember my dad - Don Munro?

He joined the Merchant Navy at age 17 (PSNC), approximately 1959/60. He later sailed with Adelphi Vergotis, Ropners, Rudd Pedersen (1968), Kuwait Shipping (1971, as Master) and James Fisher.
    He came ashore in 1974 and subsequently worked at Associated Octel.

I’m keen to help him fill in the gaps with tales and if possible, photographs.

Thank you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Filling in the gaps for my dad - Don Munro

Hello Sarra
    I do hope that in a wee while you may get some good replies, who knows you may be lucky!
    There are so many old Handa on this site, it is surely possible that your Dad was known? But always a long shot!
    Cheers and Good Luck
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Doc Vernon with an apology to Sarra. This is Handa sometimes referred to as Heaven and Handa. An island off the north west coast of Scotland. It has been uninhabited since the mid 1800's and now a nature reserve. The view is to the south.
    Bill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you, I appreciate the kind message

6. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1. When he was with James Fisher was he ever on the ship they had which carried Radio Active Waste from Japan to the UK .I was never there but remember talking to someone probably in a pub about his experiences with such.
    A lot of people like yourself choose in later life to look for family and their past. Seamen must be the hardest to really to trace as the term seamen covers a huge coverage of different experiences and the meeting of a huge range of different characters . I said when I first joined this site even though we are all seamen we all have different experiences in life and still stick by that claim. The only thing we really have in common is the salt water we sailed on.People who look for Log book entries only gives them dates and times , it does not tell you about the man himself to do that you must converse with someone who knew him personally. I really hope you can find someone in that category as is the way to find the peace of mind you are probably seeking. The best of luck in your quest. Regards JS

Looking at your time table 59/60 to 1974 equals in total 14 years , in your fathers era it took usually at least 11 years to get the relevent seatime In for a Masters certificate , he was either a very fortuanate man to get such rapid promotion , or your dates should be looked at again . Regards JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd January 2023 at 11:06 PM.
    R575129

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for your comments. The dates are absolutely correct. Whilst some might say he was fortunate, I’d say that talent and skill probably came into it too.

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not sure if this relevant, but in March 1977 the M/V Orduna of PSNC arrived in Bermuda with a partial spillage of part of her cargo of Octel products. The vessel had experienced very heavy weather on passage from the UK and with major cargo shifts and damage. The Octel cargo, eventually destined for South America, required hazardous handling and the situation was compounded by the toxicity of Octel and special measures were required. These included special clothing and breathing apparatus for those working the cargo. A Mr. Ian Peters represented the Associated Octel Company Limited and I was wondering if Mr. Munro was part of his team on that occasion? I produced a report, which I still have in my files. It was the first time that I made extensive use of photography for this purpose. In fact I purchased a special wide angle lens to better cover the affected areas which, I believe gave a much clearer picture of the affected cargo hatches!
    R643825

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post