Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Information on Donald Tracey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Information on Donald Tracey

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I am trying to trace anyone who knew my relative Donald Tracey who attended the Glasgow Nautical College from August 1969 to Jan 1972. He was a junior RO and was employed by Marconi international Marine when he left college.
    I have been trying to find out about him but sadly he died at sea, we don’t know when or where.
    I obtained a copy of his sea pouch from the National Archives at Kew which contained just a few papers and his picture and his BSC. I have contacted the uk shipping registry but they require the name of the ship he served on when he died which I Don’t have. I was hoping he kept in contact with his RO colleagues. I would appreciate any assistance or Help in trying to find out about his death. Which would be after 1972.

2. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Information on Donald Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Gray View Post
    Hi Timothy, Welcome to the site, do you have Donald's date and place of birth per chance? Failing that a parent or siblings name would be helpful.
    Any further information that allows me to cross reference what you know already... to ensure I have the correct Donald. Thank you.
    Hi Marian, Donald was Born on the 18th August 1950 in Glasgow. All of his immediate family are deceased. When he left college and applied for a position as a J/RO with Marconi Marine. On the paperwork it says employer Marconi Marine and has a number written underneath V296026, might be helpful

4. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Marian, that is the paperwork I obtained from the National Archives. The tree you found it on is of a Radio opertaor who is also trying to help. I too have seen the death at Sea Somerset, England on Ancestery, but do not know where it originated. I have a paid for a search on GRO for year 1972 to 1973 but no luck. I have also,searched Scotlandspeople website also but only his birth is listed.

6. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I only find one person with that Surname and first Initial , but although also Born 1950 it says Accrington ?? So just wondering!
    This is one that is puzzling as you say you got his Seamans Pouch? And he was at Sea still 1972! Must have just made the entry as no records were kept after 72!
    Cheers

You are best to go for his CRS10 which will have his full Service Record, Ships etc!

So if he has a Seamans Pouch he will have a CRS10, and would be found in this Series!

Townsin T to Trawinski J | The National Archives

Reference: BT 382/2989
    Description: Townsin T to Trawinski J
    Date: 1941 Jan 01 - 1972 Dec 31
    Held by: The National Archives, Kew
    Former reference in its original department: 967
    Legal status: Public Record(s)
    Closure status: Open Document, Open Description
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 13th July 2022 at 07:19 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Doc Vernon, Thank you so much for this information, I will pay for a search at the National Archives at Kew and see what comes back. I will do this task within the next hour.

My brother has found a D.T Tracey on an inbound passenger list for Australia but can’t access the details. I went to the government website which I think is research.naa.gov.au and put his full name in the boxes under the Passenger tab. Yep that was him, arrived in a BA flight London to Sydney via Hong Kong. Arrived 20th Dec 1972.dob 18/Aug1950 born Scotland. I have tried to,upload the picture from my IPad but kept getting an error. If any body can tell me how to upload a picture please.

9. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Further update, Donald put His address for the next 12 months in Australia as Sydney NSW, but also ticked the box for the reason he was there was to settle in Australia. Perhaps this may be his first Posting with Marconi Marine.

11. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know it maybe a bit stupid of me to ask but the person being looked for was quite young compared with some of us so imagine his death would have been well recorded , It twas the main practice of most R/0s on getting their licence to go with Marconi . Do they have an office or centre which might contain information. JS
    R575129

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, N/A, Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tim, very easy to upload a picture after you hit reply to a message look at the tool bar at the top of the text box the third icon from the right is 'insert image' hit this and then follow the commands in the pop up box to upload an image.

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I understand that Marconi has deposited there company records at the Bodleian Library in Oxford. I am in the process of applying for a Card Reader for the Special,Collectiond. I have seen in their index Radio officers cards, hopefully
    I will find some information there. The only problem I foresee if Donald left Marconi when he arrived in Australia.

I have tried again to upload the picture of his arrival of paperwork but it comes back upload failed.

17. Thanks N/A, j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A really Big thank you Marian!

19. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, cappy, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast