Thread: Shipmates Emailing each other during lockdown.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shipmates Emailing each other during lockdown.

That was a windy night last night I expected to see some fence down but all was ok, I liked the jokes that you sent they were very good but they have disappeared they must of gone where all good Emails go, a question for you, on the TREBARTHA how many days were we in the typhoon and how big do you reckon the waves were for some reason I got thinking about it re living my youth. (next subject removed)
    On the other subject I checked out my diary, This is what was written, the first Typhoon was Doris on 17th July1964 we sheltered until it passed,

On the 5th Aug. 1964 we were anchored off Claveria in the Philippians loading cargo and had to leave and heave to as typhoon Ida was approaching, We returned on the 9th Aug to Claveria to resume loading ,this is where we experienced (The Night To Forget) you can fill the gaps. I can only guess wave height probably 40" to 50,"feet that is, If you google typhoon name and year there is some information for example on "Ida" as follows

Tracking towards the west-northwest, Ida reached typhoon intensity on August 4.[11] According to the JTWC, Ida reached its peak intensity with maximum winds of 250 km/h (155 mph) and a central pressure of 925 hPa (mbar; 27.31 inHg).[97] Between August 6–7, Ida moved across northern Luzon with these winds. The storm weakened over the island but strengthened over the South China Sea on approach to Hong Kong. The centre of the storm passed 65 km (40 mi) southwest of Hong Kong and made its final landfall on Guangdong Province China on August 8 as a typhoon with winds of 150 km/h (90 mph)

your diary is better than my memory I think I need to go and get some new memory I will have to go to Currys and get some put in, I was thinking that we ran into the typhoon going from the US to Korea and we went to Japan to get fixed up where you were a naught boy helping yourself to someone’s bike, that’s another story
    John no need to go to Currys your memory is fine. Feb 8th 1964 we hit a tropical storm on voyage from Tacoma US to Pusan with grain, i remember the outside deck aft of the Galley splitting. all the portholes replaced with wooden plugs kept Colin the Chippy busy, plus winch island bulkheads caved in, steering flat flooded. Then we went to moji for bunkers and repairs, a decision was made to discharge grain in Pusan and return to Moji, this we did and was there over a month delayed by an engine room fire. the dates are not spot on. we started the adventure in Glasgow Nov: 23rd 1963, loaded grain in the Mississippi for Yokohama, then back to Oregon & Washington for another load of grain to Japan, and the saga continues to Hong Kong, Malaya, Singapore, India, and the Philippines, Together we could write a book, Though who would believe it. All the best to you both. Roger.
    Last edited by Roger Millard; 11th January 2021 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Shipmates Emailing each other during lockdown.

My first trip to Moji was in 1961, thought at the time it was bit too tame for us ashore, and could not wait to get to Yokohama etc, but later realised that Moji was the best run ashore, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For me it was Shimonoseki, traipsing through knee high snow to thaw out in the arms of Michiko T...... No bright lights but plenty of fireworks................happy days

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In Moji was a lovely Hanako
    but sometimes I called her `anako, due to the Liverpool accent.
    she would scream at me, "Me Hanako, no Anako. Anako is hole in ground, me no hole in ground.
    Me HANAKO, Hanako is Butterfly. You Number ten boy,
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 11th January 2021 at 05:48 PM.