Thread: A very very pleasant suprize

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile A very very pleasant suprize

A few years ago before I joined this site I was browsing the net and came across the 'Hederline' site I entered my name, ships i'd served on and in which position I held and left it at that.
    This morning i had an e mail from a Norman Williams. The name did not ring a bell until I read the e mail. He had served on the Eagle Oil Tanker, STS San Fernando as an assistant steward when I was doing my first deep sea trip as galley boy. I have not been able to remember the names of the men in the catering department but he named them all and the memories came flooding back, sadly two of them have sinced crossed the bar.
    I have replied to his email via the Hederline site and given him details of our site and asked him to join., Hopefully he will. Its been 57 years since we served together but reading his e mail it was just like yesterday.
    What a marvelous thing the internet is.
    John Albert Evans.
    Last edited by John Albert Evans; 22nd March 2013 at 06:59 PM.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes donald w gillies liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hi JAE

Hi JAE
    Well threre havent been many Posts regarding this sort of thing in a while,and it is god to hear that this site still does create lost mates!
    It must have been a buzz for you and i can only imagione the joy when getting the Email!
    Good on you for posting your details and good on him for responding,be a bit late!
    Great mate!
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 10th July 2018 at 03:33 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default A very very pleasant surprise.

It was after the strike I joined a tanker the Hamilton,I mated up with a lad from the Southend of Liverpool him and I got on famous I would say he was the best shipmate I ever had during my time at sea.It was single berth cabins,when he got his ciggie issue they went in my top draw alongside mine and we just helped ourselves,if he got beer the same.Some ports I got a good sub he didn't and visa versa we had great runs ashore and for a tanker I would say it was the best trip I did to sea.Anyway the years went by and I was dying to meet up with this guy again thinking about the good times we had and how nice it would be to meet up again and renew our friendship and have a good bevy and a chat about old times.I eventually got in touch with him and we met up one sunday and went to the pub.What an anti climax it turned out that him and I just didn't have anything in common a real disappointment after so many years of looking forward to meeting up again.We met up again about another twice and that was it.I think he was suffering with his nerves which he was receiving treatment for I think this was brought on through alcohol so I suppose he was on a different wave length.Having said that I suppose we all change from being free and single at 20 years of age and being forty with a family.
    Regards.
    Jim.B

5. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JAE congratulation in getting in touch. I know much water has passed under the bridge since you last met, but just to once again make contact after all these years is good . As you say shows the power of the net.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, I am glad you are in contact with an old shipmate. For me too, the 'Hederline' site was excellent. In the last year I have received emails from 2 separate engineer cadets that were at college with me in the early 70's. And through these, contact with a third ex cadet.
    I exchange emails with 1 and almost daily Facebook updates with the others.

Sites such as this one and Hederline are invaluable. So thank you to both sites.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post