Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My brother Jim has died.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default My brother Jim has died.

My brother Jim died on Friday evening six days before his 87 birthday.

Jim Joined the VINDICATRIX in 1947 and was a member of the Vindy Association.

He went to sea on deck sailing on Elder Dempsters to West Africa and the States on a 12 month trip. Also with Harrisons to the West Indies / Central American run.
    On one of Monks coasters , T.P.TILLING.
    He joined the VANCOUVER CITY, one of Rearden Smiths of Cardiff, and was due to sail that night at 11pm from Birkenhead docks bound for Japan via Cagliari, when the Cameo Murders happened in Liverpool where two Managers were shot dead in their Office in an attempted robbery of the takings..
    Meanwhile Jim came home to Bolton that evening to see his girl friend and called at home to see us as well.
    The Police checked on the ships that were sailing and he was reported missing. He arrived back in Birkenhead just as the ship was entering the locks and he leapt aboard and sailed for Japan.
    The following evening, I was home looking after my little brother, [now a retired Master] while my parents went to the cinema.
    Suddenly my front door was smashed down and around a dozen men, not uniformed, charged into the house, some ran upstairs , some around the rooms down stairs. A man, later Detective Inspector Balmer, grabbed me by the throat and slapped me across the face with his brown leather gloves on. “Where is he” he shouted. “Who”? “Jim Aspinall, he is wanted for murder,” I got scared then, couldn’t believe it, I said “He is on a ship and gone to Japan,” ”No he is not. He is missing from his ship and he has killed two men” Shouted the Detective, and hit me again, “Where are your parents”? I said they had gone to the cinema in town. “Then tell them I want them in the Police Station tonight.” The other men came down and said he is not here, they walked out. And disappeared into the darkness.
    The front door was hanging off on one hinge. Looked a mess.
    An hour later my parents came home, “What have you done to the door" shouts Dad. I told them what had happened, mother was in a state of collapse. Her son is accused of killing two men and also is missing.
    I told them they had to go back to town to the Central Police Station. They had a two mile walk back to town, the last bus had gone.
    They kept them in the Station all night questioning them, where is he, you know where he is and so on. They arrived home next morning, completely worn out. Mother was in a terrible state.
    Next day and for two weeks there was a car parked in our street with a man sat in it. We knew he was a Detective, no one had a car in those days around us.
    Then after two weeks a letter arrived from Cagliari in Sardinia, it was from Jim, just an ordinary letter that sailors send home. Where they have been and where to next.
    Mother and Dad dashed down to the Police Station to show the letter to prove he really was on his ship.
    The Policeman said , “Yes we know, a man has confessed to the murders.” They never bothered to let us know.
    This man went on trial and was found not guilty and released even tho` he had confessed to shooting dead the two Managers.
    Two other men, George Kelly and Charles Connolly were then arrested and charged with murder by Detective Inspector Balmer. George Kelly was hanged even tho` he was protesting his innocence, Charles Connolly was sent down for ten years. I later became friends with Charles and introduced Jim to him.
    With a Liverpool business man and an Author, George Skelly, we proved their innocence at the Court of Criminal Appeal in London, Unfortunately too late for George Kelly, but his body was released from Walton prison where he was hanged and a proper funeral at the Liverpool Catholic Cathedral and Charles had died two years before he was cleared. It is all in the book by George Skelly, “THE CAMEO CONSPIRACY” on Amazon.

Jim left the sea not long after and got married, he went down the mines and stayed there until Scargill closed the pits, so he bought a Guest House in Blackpool just behind the Blackpool Tower. Then retired and bought a nice bungalow in Cleveleys outside Blackpool. Four years and six months ago his wife said he had Dementia, and signed him away into a no Care Home.
    What a terrible place it was, locked in a room with seven other patients all day, NO mental or physical stimulation at all just sat staring at the bulkhead day after day. I reported it to Social Services and the CQC, Care Quality Control people who are supposed to monitor Care Homes. But to no avail. We had a big meeting with the CQC and the Social Services they said it was “Adequate” He just went worse. He was a bigger man than me, superbly fit and while in the No Care Home became a skeleton just curled up on a chair. He could never understand why he was locked up in a room, no windows, never saw daylight in over four years. Criminals are treated far better than that.
    If a dog was treated like that they would have been prosecuted. We could not do a thing about it, his wife, had us all banned from seeing him, four sons, two brothers and two sisters. We complained to CQC and Social Services but she had the law on her side, She has finally got rid of him.
    They had a different Staff on who were eastern Europeans and didn't know us so we used to get n to see him without her knowing.
    For the last month he has been in and out of a coma in a bed. and no food or drink for over a week.
    Now he is Free.
    Adieus, Jim, and Sayonara.
    Brian

Photo,
    Jim on the Right with Charles Connolly who did a ten year sentence for conspiracy to murder and later found to be innocent. in the story above.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 27th August 2017 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My brother Jim has died.

Sorry to hear of your loss, Brian. RIP JIM.
    regards
    Vic

3. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My deepest sympathy Brian on the loss of your brother Jim. May he rest in peace.
    Sincere Regards
    John C

5. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh Capt
    I am so so sorry to hear of his death,and I do hope that all concerned will cope as best they can.
    Its always so sad to loose a Family Member,and also of course an old Ex Seaman
    Take Heart my Friend and may Calm Winds fill his sailed now and guide him to places he so loved .
    With Sincere Condolences
    from Irene and myself

May he Rest In Peace in a better place!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

7. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wendy and I send our condolences Brian, he will encounter smooth sailing, Rgds Ivan

9. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian, so sorry to hear your news, may Jim rest in peace and may you find solace.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

11. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The loss of a dear Brother

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Deepest sympathy for your Brother Jim. R.I.P.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

My deepest condolences, thought mum was in a bad way this morning, found out she had heard that her brother had passed away during the night. My thoughts are with me and mine and you and yours.

Sad. Keith.

15. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian condolences. Someone sent me this sometime ago and re-reading maybe 9 and 11 may be The only two that refer to your mourning period but the others may make them more important.
    Everything I need to know I learned from Noah's Ark.
    1... Don't miss the boat
    2....Remember we are all in the same boat.
    3...,Plan ahead it wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.
    4....Stay fit when your 80 years old someone may ask you to do something big.
    5....Don't listen to critics just get the job done that needs to be done.
    6....For safety build your future on high ground.
    7...,Speed isn't always an advantage. The snails went on board with the cheetahs
    8....For safety's sake travel in pairs.
    9....When your stressed float awhile
    10..remember the Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic by professionals.
    11..No matter the storm, there's always a rainbow waiting.
    Most people walk in and out of your life but friends leave footprints in your heart.
    we are all thinking of you in your time of grief.
    Regards JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 28th August 2017 at 12:12 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast