Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Can anyone identify the logo on ice bucket?

Lewis McColl Guest

Default Re: Can anyone identify the logo on ice bucket?

Was it possible that passengers would have disembarked at Port Said and re joined at Suez , one reason being for the company to avoid paying full canal transit fees ?? So this may have been them having a drink while waiting at the other end of the Canal? as the Ice bucket logo to me does look Arabic, just a thought. I seem to remember that some Blue Flu 12 passenger ships when they no longer carried passengers the Cabin alley ways were sealed and that area was classified as a void space so this resulted in reduced canal dues.

2. Thanks Brett Gibson, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes john walker liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis I was thinking along the same lines, I have no idea of the trading patterns of the D.M. in the 50's but one of the other major Arabic ports east of Suez especially for bunkering was Aden. The script on the top of the bucket looks remarkably like the Arabic consonant for Ta or Tha (If anybody is interested try googling it) The loose w beneath it I have seen elsewhere in the Arabic world. Instead of an Islamic company advertising alcohol could it be a logo for a western company in Arabic. In the Islamic world it has always been 'HARAM' or illegal to benefit from the production, service, or even washing the glasses after the use of booze. It is considered the wages of sin to true believers. If anybody has the time or inclination to expand the logo (An impossibility for Me ) I would like a closer look at it. Anyway Brett you seemed to have stumped most of us, you may be wright and it is a simple runic crown type logo. Which would mean that most of what I have written above is irrelevant. I like yourself now, would to know where it is from.

4. Likes Brett Gibson, Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like a Swedish Crown, (as on their currency) and Wallenius Lines used to transit Suez to Oz. They also sailed from the Tyne to Sweden. Just a long shot.

6. Thanks Brett Gibson, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As regards the year , the boxes of 25 cigarettes put out by Players seem to have still been in vogue. JS
    R575129

8. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well spotter JS wish my Eyes were better! But enlarging that Pic yes indeed , i recall those Tins of Player Cigs. However my recollection was the 50 Pack! Used to be one of my Favourites at the time along with Senior Service!
    Cheers

Players.jpg
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 3rd January 2021 at 02:13 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

10. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just waiting for some horticulturist to come out with the flowers in the picture are Gladioli , suspect Vic already knows the size of fuse in the lamp in the background and if he can work out the cycles may get closer to the country of origin. Inspector Clusoe wouldn’t get a look in . Still a good chance it’s the 101 club, that’s where I would have taken a young lady. Glasgow was a rough city and the venues were not too many. However the poster will know if his parents visited that fair city. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 3rd January 2021 at 02:17 AM.
    R575129

12. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#25... Believe it or not Vernon I used to go through 3 of those tins a day and still here ( only just ) to say so. I have one professional photo of myself at 16 which I don’t show to anyone and the 2 fingers of my right hand are black with nicotine. No disrespect to any coloured gentleman , but would have preferred your fingers if going up for a Hollywood Screen test. JS
    R575129

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3