Thread: M.N. war vets badge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: M.N. war vets badge

Quote Originally Posted by eric fisher View Post
    Thanks RLT, shipmate. 95 . I'll be plastered Sat & Sun
    Have a great day Eric wish you many more birthdays to come, and if you can fit it in have a very Happy Christmas
    and a safe and peaceful New Year. All the Best, John F

2. Thanks eric fisher thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Happy Birthday Eric.
    Vic

4. Thanks eric fisher thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gentlemen
    While i must say that this is a good Thread and has some good replies ,i notice that it also has some off Topic posts ,one reply that is in line with the Thread but has the Birthday thing in it!
    This should have been posted in the Greetings Forum where we all could wish the person involved.

I am not being hard here,but of late there have been too many Off Topic Posts included in Threads,and this is really putting the cat amongst the Pidgeons so to speak,so may i ask ALL in a very nice and Gentle way to STOP this practice,and try even harder to stick to what the Thread is about.

If this keeps up i will have to seriously think of just deleting any off topic posts and that i really dont want to do,as it causes friction ,so PLEASE can we try a lot more to just stick on the Subjects .
    Many thanks it will be appreciated
    Cheers

Added

NB Going off topic is spoiling some very interesting Threads, we have gone to the trouble of starting new Threads but it is just getting worse and we should not have to do this. It is in the Site Rules that people should not go off topic and we have been very flexible with them but now, enough is enough. Therefore if some of your future posts are seen to be deleted then only you have yourselves to blame, not us.
    Thank you
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 13th December 2019 at 09:37 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

6. Thanks Chris Allman, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Gentlemen
    While i must say that this is a good Thread and has some good replies ,i notice that it also has some off Topic posts ,one reply that is in line with the Thread but has the Birthday thing in it!
    This should have been posted in the Greetings Forum where we all could wish the person involved....................................

Added

NB Going off topic is spoiling some very interesting Threads, we have gone to the trouble of starting new Threads but it is just getting worse and we should not have to do this. It is in the Site Rules that people should not go off topic and we have been very flexible with them but now, enough is enough. Therefore if some of your future posts are seen to be deleted then only you have yourselves to blame, not us.
    Thank you

Thanks Vernon, but we could stop having birthdays, that would fix it and we would then not get older.LOL
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 14th December 2019 at 09:51 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Though, I am guilty on this thread, the intentions were honourable.

I do agree with Doc, that we should all try harder to stay on track / thread.

Keith.

9. Thanks Chris Allman, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a query as going through old posts and trying to catch up. See that some have collected MN badges vis email.
    Do they come with the accompanying correspondence. Mine came from through the post within days of applying for through the proper channels. It came through the post with a note from the Ministry of Defence ...
    “ With the Compliments of the Minister for Defence Personnel, Welfare and Veterans.”.

This UK Merchant Seafarers Veterans Badge is presented to you in recognition of your contribution to HM Armed Forces Military operations.
    The badge is also marked the same veteran of HM armed forces.

The small piece of paperwork comes from the MOD, Whitehall, London ,
    So if they are as scrupulous as the tax man they will have records of who have received.
    Myself I had my discharge number put on the back of , for recognition if it got stolen.

Cheers JWS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The last time this thread came around and I posted that I had both badges, I was interrogated by a member, and a couple of others thought it quite humorous. I objected too having to answer to the charge, as I interpreted it, being proffered a "White Feather". I did, but never received an apology. It still sticks in my craw, and knocked some of the shine off them.

Seems the M.O.D. and her Majesty had no trouble awarding them, but supposed "shipmates" did.

Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thinking back Rodney I only applied for one as others were talking about them, and also they were free. I expected an ordinary MN badge supplied through the mn association but reply name back instantly from the Mod. To me is as good as any campaign ribbon , which a lot of seamen would be entitled to if they applied especially during times of conflict as they were automatically on the front line.. cheers js

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got both veterans badges as I was with the R.F.A. plus the letter from the minister of the M.O.D. I also still have my blue enameled MN plus a silver MN badge, I don't wear them, I haven't had a suit in years, just casual dress, besides no one down here would know what the MN was.
    Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re medals and ribbons. There is a post somewhere about campaign ribbons. I rather think if applied for these or at least some of them that they did not come with a medal. Anyone going to a naval outfitter like Woods of N/S Shields , apart from being asked what side they dressed and what braid required, was also asked what ribbons if any they wanted sewn on the uniform. Which points to the fact that the naval outfitters carried all the campaign ribbons or if they didn’t could get their hands on. They were sewn on in the correct position by the tailors of the day. Today most ribbons are in the clasp type which can be utilised on shirts etc and removed and changed when thrown your shirt In the laundrey basket. Anyone requiring such ribbons in the 50s and 60s had simply to go to anygood naval outfitters no proof required if one of the many thousands of campaign commemoration ribbons. At least with the badge proof has to be provided and as said is more authentic to me . JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 6th April 2020 at 12:32 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2