Thread: Help with identification please...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Help with identification please...

Hi everyone.
    I wonder if there’s someone out there that could help me identify this badge? It has (to my uneducated eye) a hint perhaps of the merchant marine! The crest seems to be a flagpole and the charge on the shield includes an anchor. I’m trying to help identify it for inclusion in the next edition of a book on the history of aviators badges of the United Kingdom so any help would be greatly appreciated...it’s a mystery to all who have looked at it so far!
    Many thanks
    Nick
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 30th October 2019 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Increase Size

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help with identification please...

Could be some sort of Glider Wing Badge of Glider Regiment of possibly RAF OR THE LIKES ???
    Just a wild guess
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would say it was British or commonwealth military he would have had a crown on it.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the reply. It’s definitely not military...or at least not UK military and it came with a collection of other civil pilot wings of the UK. I imagine it’s either from a small defunct airline, the wing of a flying club or the wings of a pilot flying an aircraft for a company with that livery. It was the anchor and flag which almost looks like a buoy that made me think of asking for this forum’s expertise.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply. I agree. I’m certainly it’s not UK or commonwealth military. I think it’ll be a small airline or a flying club or perhaps the wings of a pilot flying for a company with that logo which I hoped might be associated with a merchant marine company.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a Cut out part of this Badge possibly smeone can tell what all the Items on it are eg all i can see (Bad Eyes) is the Anchor,what are the rest!??
    With ID of the others may be we can as a team get this one still??
    Cheers

R697530

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hopefully this is a better image.

In the white triangle at the top it seems to be a jug with flowers in it, there's an anchor to the left, it could be another anchor possibly with a rope around on the right and below is either a flower or an eagle or an acorn?!

It's so detailed someone has really taken some trouble to make it precisely and it's very good quality.

Once again thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 1st November 2019 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Increase Size

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Indeed well made as you say,and thanks for the better quality and the info ,i have again also increased the size .
    This all may help i hope so as these sort of Items cme up on site odten for Identification,lets hope we can solve this one .
    Cheers

R697530

13. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

193F4117-6BAB-455F-897E-425F6A059B92.jpg193F4117-6BAB-455F-897E-425F6A059B92.jpgThank you all for considering this request. For anyone who may be mildly interested, the mystery is solved! The wing belonged to the Southend-on-Sea Municipal Air Centre & Flying School. The coat of arms is that of Southend-on-Sea. It was formed in 1947 and went out of business in 1964. There was quite a bit of association with the sea though...

The blue background indicates the sea. The lilies rising from the vase, the central feature of the anils, are the emblem of the Virgin Mary and represent both the Mother Parish of St Mary, Prittlewell and the Cluniac Priory dedicated to St Mary, founded at Prittlewell about 1110 AD. To the left of the Arms, as seen by the viewer, is the golden anchor which is the emblem of St Clement the patron saint of the Church of Leigh. On the other side the golden gridiron stands for St Laurence the patron saint of Eastwood Church, being the instrument of his martyrdom, whilst the golden trefoil at the foot of the arms, being the symbol of the Holy Trinity, represents the dedication of the Parish Church of Southchurch.

The mural crown is a coronet made of masonary to represent the walls of a city and is an honourable distinction associated with crests of several towns and cities. The ship's mast with a crow's nest like that of an old galley refers to Leigh's history as a port and the town's general connection with shipping.

So there you have it. Again many thanks and all the best,

Nick
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 17th November 2019 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Enlarging

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very interesting and well found,how did you come on it if i may ask!
    Always good to have these kind of Questions on here makes for using the old Grey matter LOL
    Thanks for posting the results!

R697530

16. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post