Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Before Designer Jeans there was -

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Before Designer Jeans there was -

I can’t remember when i got my first ever pair of jeans, nor the brand, but not even a recognised name and very cheap.
    After leaving school i was working as a casual labourer for a stevedoring company hand unloading cargo on Dover docks, - yes in the 60’s Dover was quite a busy little cargo port for coasters.
    Thinking i was grown up would try to sneak into pubs for to get a pint - sometimes succeeding and sometimes thrown out, but i would see the way seamen dressed and thought denim was for me.
    I seem to recall that my first pair of good jeans were Wranglers and they were very popular and the more faded they were the more comfortable they became.
    By the time i’d reached about 17 i had discovered LEE jeans and they became my choice for many years to come. A new pair were so tough and thick that they could nearly stand up by themselves and had to be washed and scrubbed many times to even break them in and try to soften them up. Matching denim jackets were vital and worn with a white T-shirt or thin crew neck jumper. This became my “uniform’ for my sea-going days and for many years after. Worn going ashore with a pair of desert boots or corduroy shoes [anyone remember them ]was definitely the way to go.
    A new pair of LEE jeans would last a couple of years easily, and just when they began to get that perfect softness and comfort and that great faded look the knees would give way and a new pair had to be broken in.
    Some posters have said they they used to hang them over the side at sea and the dangers of doing so, but i used to do this and never lost or damaged a pair. Heaving line through the belt loops and trawl them astern and they would fade slightly and become a bit softer, and them scrubbing them hard laid out on the deck would be the start of the wearing in process.
    Around 1968 i bought my first ever pair of Levi’s and they were flared at the bottom and became very much desired , Very tight in the thighs and knees and flaring out near the bottom of the legs,
    they also had no zip and had a metal button up fly. Very nice, but harder to get off in passionate moments, !!!
    Still wearing Levi’s and T-shirts today and really he only article of my wardrobe i’m totally comfortable in.
    However i must admit that my waist size today is considerably larger than it used to be !!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Before Designer Jeans there was -

I was about 11 before I was allowed to wear long pants, but I had an aunt in East Bolden where we went for holidays who was a bit more advanced.

I told her I wanted a pair of jeans, and she said yes your birthday is coming up I may bet you some then.

So around it came and there wrapped up in brown paper, there was no fancy stuff the, a pair of jeans.
    Could not wait to try them on.

Shock horror when I did, aunty, bless her, had bought a good pair but one small problem, no front zip.
    They were female ones.

Thankfully we managed to change them, but the shop assistant did manage quite a giggle about it.
    After that I made sure I bought my own.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could always have cut a hole in the front and let it all hang out as they used to say John. JS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    I was about 11 before I was allowed to wear long pants, but I had an aunt in East Bolden where we went for holidays who was a bit more advanced.

I told her I wanted a pair of jeans, and she said yes your birthday is coming up I may bet you some then.

So around it came and there wrapped up in brown paper, there was no fancy stuff the, a pair of jeans.
    Could not wait to try them on.

Shock horror when I did, aunty, bless her, had bought a good pair but one small problem, no front zip.
    They were female ones.

Thankfully we managed to change them, but the shop assistant did manage quite a giggle about it.
    After that I made sure I bought my own.
    You were lucky, 14 was the standard round here. Short pants and wellies, in winter especially, was torture sometimes, red welts around your calfs from the cold and wet wellie tops chafing your legs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tony, Always remember getting a pair of long trousers of an uncle of mine, Wore them for school no probs only thing was Wellies inside the strides in the summer...……………… Wellies outside the same strides in the winter.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    Tony, Always remember getting a pair of long trousers of an uncle of mine, Wore them for school no probs only thing was Wellies inside the strides in the summer...……………… Wellies outside the same strides in the winter.
    Terry, sent u PM but dunno if am doin right.

7. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You all will have seen the latest fashion in Jeans ,those with the ragged slits all the rage at present .Well I have a pair of jeans that are well worn and have Raggy flits I put them to go out into the garden the other day ,the wife took one look and said it was time I chucked them ,I replied they are good enough to work I and said if I was a younger they would be all the rage I was told in no uncertain terms your not 21 your nearly 77 !!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dave moore View Post
    You all will have seen the latest fashion in Jeans ,those with the ragged slits all the rage at present .Well I have a pair of jeans that are well worn and have Raggy flits I put them to go out into the garden the other day ,the wife took one look and said it was time I chucked them ,I replied they are good enough to work I and said if I was a younger they would be all the rage I was told in no uncertain terms your not 21 your nearly 77 !!!!
    try selling them, you might make a profit

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bought my first pair of jeans in Galveston in 49 sent me broke, can't remember what price they were, but couldn't have been much on a deck boys 7 pounds a month. I still wear jeans just bought two new pair $30 each, not as good as my first pair, my wife has promised to go through my wardrobe and throw the other three decrepit pairs out, I use them when cutting the lawn , if there is no one out there i use the pair that the crotch has gone on.
    Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Designer Jeans are now all the go, the go bit is like going to the tip to find what has been dumped.

Honestly you will find better on a scarecrow.
    But those combined with shoes and no socks, though there I am guilty have not worn socks for years, and they look the Cats Whiskers, or so they think.

But then again who are we to judge, platform shoes, bell bottom trousers and drape jackets.
    But that was then, and we did look good, or so we thought.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast