Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Company branded clothing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Company branded clothing

Not uniforms but did any of the companies you worked for ever offer for sale any items of clothing such as tees, sweatshirt, fleeces etc. that carried the company name and logo.
    Canadian Pacific brought out such a range but not only did they have the company name emblazoned in large lettering on them but they were all the same green colour that appeared on the ships funnel. Don't think they sold in huge quantities despite having a fleet of 50+ ships at the time.
    Stolt tankers had a range of excellent quality polo shirts, tees and sweatshirts , all in white with just a discrete logo on them. They also had shiny, thin, water resistant, black bomber jackets, which made you look like a Godfathers extra, along with by pet hate, American style Baseball caps covered in scrambled egg. You know the type, the ones that assholes wear backwards thinking it makes them look cool, NO IT DOESN'T, it makes you look an even bigger idiot than you actually are. If ever I was to appear on Room 101, that is the one item I would consign to the vaults, ahead even of the letter box item of female clothing.
    I still have one Stolt sweatshirt plus a company tie I nicked off the superintendent.
    Any one else still got company clothing or mementos?
    At one time when we were employed by the Norwegian office we all used to get a crimbo present from the office, I still have my binoculars and flask that I received from them, plus the wife used to get expensive chocolates at Christmas plus flowers on her birthday.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Company branded clothing

I had a CPR jersey, Navy Blue with white letters CANADIAN PACIFIC along the front, cost ten shillings on the EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND,. that disappeared many years ago.
    BUT I still have my CUNARD jersey, Navy Blue with white letters CUNARD on the front , again cost 10 shillings. now 62 years old, on the old FRANCONIA,, Half a days wage in those days.
    Cheers
    Brian

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember on Union Castle the jersey you were issued with was very floggable on the cape, and i used to replace it with an old blue sweater when i signed off and handed my uniform in, i know , dishonest, would not do that now would i !!!, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On UCL the only uniform catering had was the Lavender fringed wingers jackets.

Quite frankly not worth a brass rasso ashore, but silver...…..now that is a different story
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes john walker, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On Mollers mv Coral River all crew wore uniform jackets, marked 'Fords' as they bought them cheap when selling cigs and grog around the works while we discharged iron ore.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When joining P&O's Orcades in 1970 as a waiter we were all made to purchase (Unless they already had the same) From a Miller Rainer shop rep. who was on board specifically to outfit all the crew. 3 white stewards jackets, plus P&O silver buttons for jacket, plus blue epaulettes for jacket, plus black trousers, black shoes, one of those Andy Pandy type work jackets plus blue working trousers also an officers type peaked cap with P&O cap badge. Which was a large sum of money to be deducted from your pay this was done after you had signed on so you could not say "F**k this B** S**T for a game of sailor's I'm going back to the pool. The cap was only worn when doing boat drill and being logged. What a rip off??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On a slightly different note, when C.P. sold the last Empress, there was a wharehouse in Liverpool full of quality carpets, silverware , cutlery and dining services, at that time on all the new builds that were joining the fleet they all had linoleum flooring with a small strip of cheap carpet in the cabins, cheap Japanese cutlery and dinner ware. We expected that the contents of that wharehouse would be used to furnish the new builds, no chance. A former chief steward bid for and got the contents for something like £25000 and then proceeded to auction the whole lot off making a vast profit on the proceeds of the sale.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    On a slightly different note, when C.P. sold the last Empress, there was a wharehouse in Liverpool full of quality carpets, silverware , cutlery and dining services, at that time on all the new builds that were joining the fleet they all had linoleum flooring with a small strip of cheap carpet in the cabins, cheap Japanese cutlery and dinner ware. We expected that the contents of that wharehouse would be used to furnish the new builds, no chance. A former chief steward bid for and got the contents for something like £25000 and then proceeded to auction the whole lot off making a vast profit on the proceeds of the sale.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    no doubt the chief steward was classed as a greedy selfish thieving conniving barsteward by all who never thought of going to the auction or borrowing the twenty five grand to make a profit ..and by doing so creating money to the auctioneer and his staff......paying towards the upkeep of the auction house rent and heating bill ...paying for th delivery of his newly purchased loot to a transport company ....paying rent to a warehouse to hold his goods paying insurance for the safety of his goods ....employing a sales team to sell his newly aquired goods ......paying tax on his profits ......well i suppose some would call him a greedy capitalist twot others would say he is a cunning old so and so.....me i would call him what appears to be in short demand in this country at the moment .....a speculator .....jeez dont we need a few of them .......people capable of turning a penny not grasping what others have created and in the meantime giving other people work

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 1953 japan did it on a national scale by subterfuge , they even built a small town called Usa . I bought a couple of ladies headscarves and had on them made in USA. Didn’t mean anything to me at the time as I wanted presents from Japan ( not the other presents) but realised years later how crafty big business can really be. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 26th September 2018 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With Brexit looming Unilever the Anglo-Dutch giant are trying to list themselves on the Dutch Stock Exchange , away from London
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

13. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast