Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: merchant navy shipping line cap badge identification

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: merchant navy shipping line cap badge identification

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Charles Williams View Post
    Did you get your required gear from Gardeners at Gardeners corner Aldgate ? should be GARDINER`S .
    Brian W.
    hi Brian, no it was at a local sale. Shipping Lines/MN is a little out of my field but I'm always eager to learn. Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    This is an early 1950s bullion pilot cap badge for the British Overseas Airways Corporation, which flew from 1939 until it merged with British European Airways to form British Airways in 1974. The badge shows a winged lion at center in silver bullion, with a golden wreath beneath him and a golden crown above him
    Cheers

Latest Value at $175.00
    well I'm blowed, I never would have guessed it was airline. I'm afraid I've been leading you all on a wild goose chase for which I apologise. Actually, although I hadn't linked the two, there were Kings Crown RAF buttons & an RAF cap badge in the box with this. Also a set of WLA (Womans Land Army) shoulder titles. Perhaps the previous owner flew with the RAF during the war, married a lady who had served in the WLA and then he flew with BOAC after the war. If only people thought to add a little note giving the history of items they squirrel away in boxes - a lesson for us all perhaps!

But I did have to smile at JSs narrative above. I'm sure that the dirks would be a very useful accessory in many of the places you boys found yourselves during your time 'under the flags' but I would have the thought that the skirts - sorry, kilts, would have been mainly to other peoples amusement if the wearer was caught by the updrafts along the sides of the decking (or whatever you call that part of the ship in nautical terms that always seems drafty!)

Many thanks for your advice Doc Vernon

regards, Dave

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, does anyone know what this cap badge signifies please? My friend has a photo of his father which he think is from around 1905 but doesn't know anything more about it. I have tried googling merchant navy cap badges, shipping line cap badges etc with no luck, if anyone can advise I would be very grateful. Cap Badge.JPG

5. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I joined Mollers of London & Hong Kong only had my original Furness Withy and a Prince line badge. No problem, sketched one for Tak Sing in HK and the only Mollers cap badge was born. Lost it in cyclone tracy.

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think most company cap badges would be very similar. The only. Difference being the centre which mostly had the company's pennant or house flag on. That could have Been a Runciman badge if had in the centre a pennant with a blue border and a blue R on. The gold leaf was or seemed to be on most companies badges. As regards funnel markings Harley Mullions son who owned one ship wanted his ship to have a funnel marking, his initials were appropriate. DR so I painted the black funnel with a white band on and the D facing the wrong way round and the R facing the right way, but the upright of the D and the R sharing the one position. He was impressed when he saw in Singapore. Didn't last long though the ship went to scrap 4 months later. I thought she had been lost in a typhoon as had flown home from Japan earlier. Oh the days of our youth. Cheers JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd August 2017 at 07:10 AM.

9. Likes Dennis McGuckin, cappy, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re #15 And my remarks about designing the funnel markings. Beleive I may have got the wrong way round in my memories. The R was pointing to the left and the D the correct way round, and the upright of both letters was common to both. Can remember thinking afterwards that any female powdering her nose on the boat deck with the funnel as a background the DR would maybe appear in her mirror as reading as such. This was in 1969/70 so don't know if had time to appear in any tome of funnel markings. The ship had itself been under mainly various flags including the Republic of North Korea. Was at the time under the Gibraltar flag. The owner on coming on board was chuffed with it, whether he had it registered or not don't know. Cheers JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th August 2017 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#10.
    . Vernon how well up on British Airways are you or in fact any of the other airlines. A Good friend of mine now deceased started off his working life in Imperial Airlines in 1937 was off for war duties as was part of the reserves which went to France under the British Expeditionary Force came out at Dunkirk, and came out of the army as a colonel in 1945 after going in as a driver. Rejoined BOAC, later joined Singapore Airlines and later Malaysian Ailrlines and retired as head accountant for same. An amazing man to talk with over a bottle of whiskey which I frequently did. I received some interesting information about his family as Richard Quartermaine knew more of his family background than I did as was one thing he never talked about. His name was Alexander Cooper more known to his friends as Alex. A fine gentlleman. Just thought if you study the airlines as a hobby you might have come across his name. Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th August 2017 at 11:22 AM.

12. Likes cappy, Dennis McGuckin, N/A, Evan Lewis liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2