Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Clan "R",s

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Clan "R",s

The four Clan “R”s were an enigma, originally ordered for Union Castle.
    In the early sixties Safmarine was lobbing hard for more involvement in the lucrative South African fruit trade, their main target was British & Commonwealth Shipping Company, which strangely enough was a major shareholder in the South African Company.
    Safmarine piled relentless pressure, lobbying the South African Government, the Perishable export board and anyone that would listen.
    B&C were concerned that the activated the Springbok Shipping line which had been set up U-C in 1950 and had lain dormant. A number of ships were transferred to the new line, but relentless pressure saw B&C sell the new company to Safmarine. This did not satisfy the African company and they continually voiced their concerns, One of their main concerns was the lack of trade for their Southbound ships, complaining loudly that there ships sailed empty for South Africa whilst their competitors ships had full cargoes. It was quietly pointed out that when Springbok Line was purchased by them, its established conference rights were also art of the agreement, which include fruit SA – Europe and general cargo Southbound.
    Placated for a time, Nicholas Cayzer, decided to visit S.A. and hammer out a deal that would benefit both companies.
    The deals was agreed, B&C would handover to SAFmarine the full control of the fruit trade to SAFMarine, whilst the African Company would agree to support B&C in its bid for the Mail contract when it was time to re-negotiate.
    Also included in the deal was the supply of three new fruit ships on bareboat charter for Safmarine through a B&C subsidiary company. B&C also agreed that it would supply technical management and advice as and when required.
    In 1962 the order was placed for the three fruit ships to be built at the Greenock Dockyard a B&C subsidiary.
    With the order placed, SAFmarine were shocked when B&C placed the order for new fruits ships, Nicholas Cayzer brushed aside an concerns that Safmarine had.
    The new ships were ordered for U-C, and B&C entered into discussions with the UK Seamens Unions. There proposals was that the new ships would be crewed by UK personnel, whilst the older Castle R boats would be transferred to native crews. The Unions refused to discuss the proposals; the company retaliated and stated that “the ship order would be transferred to another subsidiary within the company”.
    The order was transferred to Clan Line with nominal ownership of three of the ships placed with U-C and the fourth the Clan Ross with Houston Line and NUS personnel would not man the ships for a further ten years
    When the SAFMarine order was place with the yard, the shipyard bought a Dutch Naval Architects design, instead of using their own inhouse design team.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Clan "R",s

Most interesting Vic and thanks for this!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI Vic.
    Good post. It must have been around the time that the British MN was being shafted by the British Gov and distributed to all and sundry, as per the UN Charter.
    Des

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Then in 72 the UK joined the Common Market and I understand that as a result the fruit trade between UK and South Africa came to an end.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, the box boats killed the conventional reefers.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A very interesting article, especially as I sailed on all four of them in the 80's, as Clan Boats, Castle and Universal, we seemed to change names more often than I changed my engine room socks!
    Ian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That should read the 70's and 80's.
    Sorry.
    Ian

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very interesting, thanks. I did a short coastal relief as 3rd mate on the Clan Ross, Nov/Dec '66 and have some recollection of thinking i had a bit part in some futuristic movie the first time I saw the bridge !

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember the Clan Ross well, it was my first proper deep sea ship as an Engineer Cadet (1970) I remember the cases of Oranges one could take home I spent nearly a year on her and in all the times we went to Cape Town never once got up Table Mountain it was always next trip.
    From sailing the Southern Atlantic I went to the Gladys Bowater sailing the Northern Atlantic ice permitting, we were stuck for a week at one stage on the way to Cornerbrook.
    Happy days

13. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You got to Cape Town but never went up the mountain.

Like many others I have been up there on a number of occasions.
    All I can say is that you missed one of the most spectacular sights there is.

The view from there down to the very tip of the cape is one I will always remember.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Likes vic mcclymont liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast