Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Clan "R",s

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Clan "R",s

I think i posted before, three trips on the Stirling Castle, never got to the top of Table mountain, always set out to do that, but just one drink somewhere on the way, and that was it. However 40 years later on holiday with my wife to Capetown, we did go up , and it a sight worth seeing, just wonderful views, the cable car up is worth it on its own, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How very interesting. As a mere deck cadet on the Clan Ramsay back in February 1975, I had no idea of the politics behind our trade back then so this is most interesting, thank you.

I'd like to offer a memory from one of my trips. On this particular voyage on the Clan "R", Captain Hay was in command. (I hope I can say this, well it was a long time ago).
    We approached Hamburg docks in thick fog, it being early April 1975. I was on the bridge and tired from being up most of the night after the trip up the channel and going up the Elbe.
    I was doing the bridge book and relaying the orders to the mate on the bow and to the second mate aft. I had brought the pilot up and we had made fast the tug aft for our approach.
    In my view we were going too fast but what did I know, as I said previously I was just the cadet. No, really, I was sure we were too fast, perhaps the skipper was keen to get off.
    Anyway finally the order was given to stop the ship. Naturally, the engine failed to go astern. Not particularly uncommon in my limited experience but annoying never the less !
    We were definitely too close now. The pilot gave another order for the tug to hold on. The towing warp immediately snapped. The quay loomed close. I got ready to to relay the next order which i knew would surely come, i.e. hard to stbd and let go the stbd anchor. I waited. Captain Hay looked out over the boat deck and came back to the bridge. I readied myself. Then he issued forth. "Those bloody stewards have left their deckchairs out side my cabin door again". That was it. We hit the quay and took out part of a gantry crane. I flew home the next day for some leave..... Mark Stevens

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A common fault on that type of Bridge Control system, not going astern when asked for the bridge control system.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Politics In South Africa at that time were not the best.
    Aparthide was in full swing causing all manner of problems within and out side of the country.
    The situation in Rhodesia at that time did not help the matter.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2