Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Lets See some comments About CLAN LINE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lets See some comments About CLAN LINE

Hi, I was working by the mailships in Southampton, 1971, when my appointment to the Clan MacTavish came through, this was much to the amusement of the other lads with whom I was working , they knew that the heavy lift ships were regularly employed on double header voyages and that I could expect at least a 9 month stint. Of course, their predictions almost came true until 7 months later we found our way up the river to Whampoa, supposedly for scrap. Having checked the ship over, the new Chinese owners announced that she would be used for further trading. It was not until the flight home that the mate confided in us that in fear of a forecasted typhoon, during the final stages of our voyage, he had pressed up all of the vacant fuel oil tanks with sea water for additional ballast.
    Last edited by David Parnell; 26th February 2015 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ye-e-es! Clan Line!

here is the clan malcolmAttachment 27300

Doesnt seem to work ????
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 26th August 2021 at 12:14 AM.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Clan Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
    Hi Jack-(hijack!. Interesting story-and an appalling loss of life.can you,or anyone else tell me more.I can't find much on Yahoo about Clan Keith.
    All I know is that she hit rocks and exploded? 5/11/61 ,11 n.m. off Galita Island with just 6 survivors.
    I knew there were quite a few British shipping disasters during 'our period' at sea e.g.Alva Cape,Seistan,London Valour,Royston Grange,Ambassador,British Crown,Mactra,Shillong,Argyllshire,Dara,Ondo Runic,etc. but I didn't know of this one.These were all in peacetime.Sobering. I count myself fortunate to have survived 21 years!

Cheers
    Davey
    Are you sure about the Argyllshire. Sailed on the Argyllshire 72-74, Scottish Shire Line and heard nothing about any disasters.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Nice!

Indeed...Maize Meal...known as 'pap' with 'sheba' (Tomato and Onion Sauce) and don't forget the great 'boerewors' (Farmers' sausage) Born in SA but went to UK when 6 months old with my mother (South African - SAWAF) and father (English - RAF convalesced in Cape Town after being shot down in W Desert then posted to Roberts Heights, Pretoria to instruct SA student pilots. Joined Clan Line when 17 - saw a fair bit of the world. Then went to uni. and back to SA. In education in the Transvaal : teacher head teacher, etc., transport initiating IT systems for large Cape company and more education lecturing uni and colleges.
    But, enough for now...there's a great chapter in my soon to be published novel about life on board during the early 1960s. More information to follow. So good to get memories rushing back. Keep safe all of you.

- - - Updated - - -

Went through a typhoon, Bay of Bengal, 1963.....beam ends, but being seamen we did what we had to do. Quiet and calm in the eye...butterflies and birds settled on deck. Then, full fury again. All creatures blown away. Clan Fergusson it was.....after having a cylinder in the Doxford 'stitched up' by a German engineer when we blew a sleeve off Port Sudan....Italian ammunition ship there, on a mudbank....pffft....thank goodness we didn't drift on to it.

7. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Clan Keith

Why are there aspects of the sinking of the Clan Keith which should not be discussed? what could possibly demand secrecy? If it hit a mine, was the victim of a terrorist attack or just poor navigation lets hear about it and put the matter to rest.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Charles View Post
    Indeed...Maize Meal...known as 'pap' with 'sheba' (Tomato and Onion Sauce) and don't forget the great 'boerewors' (Farmers' sausage) Born in SA but went to UK when 6 months old with my mother (South African - SAWAF) and father (English - RAF convalesced in Cape Town after being shot down in W Desert then posted to Roberts Heights, Pretoria to instruct SA student pilots. Joined Clan Line when 17 - saw a fair bit of the world. Then went to uni. and back to SA. In education in the Transvaal : teacher head teacher, etc., transport initiating IT systems for large Cape company and more education lecturing uni and colleges.
    But, enough for now...there's a great chapter in my soon to be published novel about life on board during the early 1960s. More information to follow. So good to get memories rushing back. Keep safe all of you.

- - - Updated - - -

Went through a typhoon, Bay of Bengal, 1963.....beam ends, but being seamen we did what we had to do. Quiet and calm in the eye...butterflies and birds settled on deck. Then, full fury again. All creatures blown away. Clan Fergusson it was.....after having a cylinder in the Doxford 'stitched up' by a German engineer when we blew a sleeve off Port Sudan....Italian ammunition ship there, on a mudbank....pffft....thank goodness we didn't drift on to it.
    Oh boy all that lovely Food! Yes i know all about those things as well, also an Ex South African from Cape Town, but Born Roodepoort! Late Brother was also in SAAF, i was in the RAF after the Merchant Navy. My Dad also had bad Injuries being shot down SAAF , then went on to RAF. Nice to have you here with us all !
    Will look forward to the Book, let us know when its out!

I still have my Mealie Meal for Breakfast and make Stywe Pap, and Braai the good Boere! Get what is called Grabou Boerewors here its the Original! Yummy! Dont forget the Mrs HS Balls Chutney! and the lekker Potjiekos!! LOL
    cHEERS
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lets See some comments About CLAN LINE

Yes Vernon, that sounds a bit like Witchery Grubs and other Abbo wonderful feeds.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Clan Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gray View Post
    Why are there aspects of the sinking of the Clan Keith which should not be discussed? what could possibly demand secrecy? If it hit a mine, was the victim of a terrorist attack or just poor navigation lets hear about it and put the matter to rest.
    Gordon,bear in mind when you are 'resurrecting' posts that this particular forum goes back as far as 2008-you can check the date and year for each post-,and careful scrutiny of a trawl through the posts will usually clarify things said therein.

With regards to your statement-there was nothing secret about the loss of the Clan Keith. It was navigational error.
    You can download this link-CLAN KEITH-Wreck Report

Regards,Graham
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 26th August 2021 at 11:57 AM.

14. Thanks j.sabourn, N/A thanked for this post
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9