Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Lets See some comments About CLAN LINE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi wee Charlie and have you still got the beard? Went rock dodging with you on The Tantallon Castle. You was the 4th and me the gadget.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Clan McLeod

The first time I stepped on board a Clan Line ship was in Angola. Lobito to be precise. She was stuck in the harbour at anchor because of the pending troubles which eventually led to the Angolan war.

At the time I was a wife on board the MV Falaba also at anchor for a number of months in 1974. It was quite a year!

We had parties on our ship and were in turn invited on the Clan McLeod for drinks. The thing I seem to remember about it was all the exposed pipes in the cabins, she really was an old ship against the one I was on.

We had some fantastic times and I think somewhere I have photos of the Clan Line crew at that time at one of our Horse Racing parties in Lobito harbour. We had a wonderful night under the stars. I shall never forget Lobito as long as I live. The people I left behind and the trauma of leaving after four months of waiting.It was all so sad. The trip was only supposed be a six week turn around.

I hope one day to write my next novel based on my sea going days. I am a romance writer and on to my third novel. None are published yet but I am in the middle of submitting to agents.

Hope this story is helpful

Lin
    Last edited by Lin Treadgold; 29th May 2011 at 07:00 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i was on a ship that sped to the area were the clan keith blew up,there was a lot of ships in the area searching for survivors,cant rember what ship i was on it was either the ss narek or mvsalamanca,memories are a bit faded now,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was 3rd. eng on Clan Menzies early sixties we were a cadet ship would be about a dozen ,half and half @ a good bunch of lads ,we were on the round africa run reasonable time in port or at anchor with a full wack of 12 passengers, we saved a few from scrapes with the local planters daughters farthers who were usually tooled up,and the delicate ladies of the Star Bar' in mombasa. but in the main the were a great bunch of lads and could graft with the rest of us,once you got the out of there bunks good memories
    Last edited by t.d.field; 28th November 2011 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Clan Menzies and her sisters, Malcolm and Matheson, only became Cadet ships once the passenger accom had been converted to use by the officers. They did not carry passengers at the time they were cadet ships.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I stand corrected it was possibly the macilwraith we had the cadets on.it was just the useuall on the menzies
    its been a while ago now.but never the less these lads deseved their wages .I was glad to see some of them made it right to the top
    Last edited by t.d.field; 4th December 2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: correction

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My late Father was an Engineer with Clan line and I remember hime telling me that he was supposed to have joined the Clan Keith but instead went on the Gemsbok, I know he lost a few good mates when she went down.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Clan Urquhart

Was the name of the engineer at that time called jhon Mc Callum who died please reply B Tucker

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My only dealing with "Clan Line" was when I was in the Indefatigable sea training school; I was in "Clan Line" dormitory. Anyway Charlie, what I wanted to say realy was that my wife is Maltese and comes from Valetta. I have a flat in Gzira about a hundred yards from where they are supposed to be building the Metropolis Towers. I hope to retire there in the next few years. Gozo is an amazing place. Iv'e been twice.

Have a drink for me Charlie

Chris.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default clan urquhart 1965

I have posted a list of crew members in my thread re Jhon Mc Callum clan urqhart Accident took his life if any one can help pleas let me know B.Tucker

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast