Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets See some comments About CLAN LINE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

G'day joe and welcome to the site. Not many Clan men abord just now, pity as it was a grteat line. However if you have a list of your ships with some datesx and list them on site you may well get to hear from some who knew you. So sit back with a cold one and enjoy the voyage.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Durban `70s

Alright Davy?

Fancy running into you again,I`ve still got a photo of you,me,beryl and pam russell taken in the Mayfair Club Durban in the early 70`s.I haven`t got that suit from Mauritius you could see me jockeys through though.
    Al Ward

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bear with me boys I`m just learning how to navigate this site and am pretty slow these days.

I joined Clan in early 70 after a short spell ashore.They were the making of me as I had been dicking about for the previous 4 years.Leaving school in spring 66,I didn`t know what to do,commuting from Southport to Aigburth every day contributed to my failing miserably at radio school.I took a job because my Dad was giving me such(justified)grief,as a solicitors clerk on the 5th.floor of Corn Exchange buildings overlooking the river.In those days large boats sailed from the lanny and the Geest boats were making their way up the river to Garston it was a great lunchtime to go down to the Pier Head and just watch what was going on.A new cashier Mr.Harboard joined the company and said to me`Whats a young man like you doing stuck in here?`within 5 weeks I was working for ED`s as a Cadet Purser learning how to tally down at West Africa terminals in the South End.The usual procedure started then,a miserable year down the West coast,a couple of years with Harrisons in the West Indies,then cooking with Canadian Pacific and finally working as a chef on a private yacht.I got to 20 and thought I`d better find a real job,luckily for me Clan took me on as an A/P and taught me the proper way to do things.One trip with Sugar Line and then 4 years with Whitco as purser.I will always remember Clan with affection,Alec Bannerman and Alan Moreton,Captains Alec Mair,Terry Young,real proper men.

Clan Boats I sailed deep sea on(I haven`t included working by)
    Clan Ranald(2 trips)
    Clan Sutherland
    Clan Menzies
    Clan Malcolm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Clan Urquhart Clan Line.

I sailed on her as a cadet in the late 50,s.The captain was a Charlie Powell,the mate I cannot remember,but he was good to us,the 2nd mate I cannot remember,the 3rd mate was a Mr Burton and I have still got the vernier sextant I bought from him for £3.00.He bought one of the later models with the battery in the handle,sorry I forget what it was called. Anyhow had a great time sailing down to Africa,Mombassa,Port Elizabeth etc etc.From the Urquhart I went to the King Henry and did a 9 month trip,the bosun was a bit awkward and so was the captain,he wanted us to get down on our knees and pray to God,a right nut case.
    I joined Clan Line as they rescude us (does not look rght) from the yacht Moyana after the tall ships race in 1956.They were good times and although I went back in the 70,s with Palm Line things were not the same. Is anything today,I have visited places I went to some 40 years ago,only to find new roads,houses where there were green fields. You will know what I mean. ian walker.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Clan Urquhart

As a cadet on the Urquhart in the late 50,s. Have a photograph of the Urquhart if you would like a copy.ian walker.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default king henry

Hi stan hackett here,i joined the king henry in sept 1960 in Adelaide, George Smith was the CPT,I believe she was built in 1958/9 when Iwas on her the bosun was Dan Macrea,I stayed with her for 18 months,as did quite a few of the d/dept,she was shipshape and bristol fashioned,while Iwas there,had a great trip.regards Stan H

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Charlie and I remember you some 46 years ago whilst Rock Dodgin on the Tantallon Castle.You were 4th Engineer and I was one of the two Engineer Cadets assigned to you. Bottom Ends Bottom ends and bloody more bottom ends.Main bearings and ovality tests came as a treat. Swingin Sixties? I spent most of my swingin on the wooden end of a bloody big hammer.Good to hear from you Hickey (Tony)

T.HOLMES Guest

Default tantallon castle

Hi Charlie, was on tantallon castle from oct66 to nov67 as j/2nd eng,seem to remember young maltese guy with good sense of humour,was that you? t.holmes

Parc Semour ( between Newport and Chepstow) in South Wales
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Angry Clan Keith

Just come across this thread, doesn't appear to be a response on the loss of the Clan Keith.

There is a published article inJohn Clarkson etc 's book Clan Line and Illustrated Fleet History which quotes
    "Clan Keith (2) was Clan's last casualty involving serious loss of life, indeed she was one of the worst peacetime losses with 63 fatalities. The enquiry into her loss found that Captain Pitts was at fault in not setting the correct course when he found the vessel was southward of her intended position. Instead of passing to the north of Galita Island, he altered course southward and failed to check that he would clear the rocks at Ecueils des Sorelles. Neither did he send out distress signals to summon assistance. The crew had not been adequately instructed in emergency procedures. The inability to launch one of the boats correctly cost three lives and there was some suggestions that at least some of the boats were not in a fit state for launching. The captains certificate was suspended for 18 months and he was dismissed from Clan Line's employment, although as a gesture the company paid his wife £30 a month during the duration of his suspension. Both the official enquiry and that conducted by Clan Line blamed the casualty on a stranding, but an officer who was on Clan Keith during a previous voyage has recently gone on record that her hull was in poor condition. [J and M Clarkson collection]"
    Hope this helps. I was with Clan Line from 1963 as engineer cadet/jn eng until moving to the Reina del Mar
    David

Gulliver Guest

Default for David S.

'Just come across this thread, doesn't appear to be a response on the loss of the Clan Keith'.

Au contraire,David,there is another thread aboard this great ship(try the Search Box!)

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/s...ght=clan+keith

In addition I attach some contemporary Times newspaper articles about the tragedy.
    (These were very kindly supplied by member Hugh)

All the Best

Gulliver
    Last edited by Gulliver; 12th November 2010 at 09:31 AM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast