Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sal boats

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sal boats

I sailed on the Salvada in '66/'67, best boat I ever sailed on. After an incident in Immingham, near Hull, with the crew of the Clan McGilevary, we took on a local crew from Hull and went on to have a great trip. Went to New York and Nova Scotia and then on through the canal to Oz and Peru etc etc. Had a load of fun in the 9 months I was on her. Often wonder what direction my life might have taken had I not paid off eventually in Rotterdam. Posted a pic of her in the gallery.
    Duke
    Duke Drennan R809731

Gulliver Guest

Default Salvada

Hi Duke!(I've resisted the John Wayne jokes).Thanks for posting that SALVADA pic.in The Gallery.Pictures of ships don't really turn me on all that much-but seeing as I was next to her in drydock as mentioned I've downloaded/saved her pic,as she is part of my history.She looks even better under way than in the drydock (Not Always the case!).Typical Norwegian-built ship.According to Miramar: www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/243835 she was still around as late as 1999.

Cheers! Davey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default sal boats

hello Gulliver .....the "Salvada " was sold not long after that and several of the crew after flying home from Hong Kong joined the "Salvina" with me we flew to Singapore (Sembawang drydocks ) then returned to the same and handed her over a wee bit sad that day still we have our memories???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re Sal boats

Hi Ben ,I only sailed on Salvesens ships , the first was the Southern Satillite,,did three trips on her twice down to the whaling station Leith Harbour also to the gulf and Japan , then was on the Tronda ,a little coaster that went to and fro to Norway and also the next ship the Glitra which did the same thing , I then joined the Saldura in Sweden on her maiden trip , ( a 15 month trip ) I then joined the Salvada also in Sweden on her maiden trip , ( 13 month ) best regards terry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default re Salvesens

Hi,'
    my late father John Phillips, worked for Salvesen in the 60's and 70's latterly as Ch. Engineer. He was out on the japanese coast a lot of the time and I recall him mentioning a number of 'Sal' boats such as the Saldana and Saldura. He also left a lot of movie footage taken on these boats. he later went on to work for Canadian pacific before retiring.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who knew him.
    many thanks, Malcolm Phillips

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Those were the days ! etc.

Used to see the Salvesens ships at Leith,In particular the Polar Chief and Polar Maid .Many of the Leith Pool signings would have been on them at one time or another.Apparently they used also to take the Shore workers down to South Georgia.For I think .a nine months Stint?
    Sad,the only times I see the name now is on a vehicle charging up and down the U.K. Motorways.Sometimes ,close at hand ,a P&O or Blue Star vehicle. Seems the requirement now to work with those outfits is to obtain the H.G. V.: "Trucks that pass in the nigh!."At least the names are continued.Which is something.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi there benloyal, my first trip to sea was on the salmela in 1965 on the great lakes run. Then was on the saldura, from the continent to east coast of the states & mexican gulf to the middle east via suez.then on the salvina on the lakes run again. Joined the salmela again for a 9 monther,tramping all over the shop. Spain through panama to japan,on charter to mitsui osk lines. On down to hong kong, singapore then east africa. Back then to the far east then down to aussie where i got the sack in sydney after a bender on the doctor penfolds. Happy days. They were great ships, wild bunch of guys. See you were a ben boat man.i was on the `vrackie, the lomond, the `dearg,the `gloe and a couple of others. They were grand ships as well with great crews.
    The good old days, eh.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default phil crawley

I did five months in Salvesons Logna march/july, 1961 it seemed like five minutes, great little ship and crowd loads of little hole in the wall ports in the Fiords, applied to go in the whaling fleet for the experience, but that was the last season.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sal boats

Hi to all, I have just rediscovered this site after joining it over a year ago. I sailed as lecky on the Salvina. Joined her new in the builders yard at Oskarsham Sweden, down to Karlskronna naval yard for trials then off for a very happy year on her. We were looking for a 2 year trip but we came back to uk (avonmouth) and paid off there. Great ship, great crowd, all scots except for one welsh AB and 1 scouse J/E.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Salvina, welcome back to the best site on the net. Any ships and dates? If you post them you may well get replies from some who knew you. So while you wait sit back with a cold one and enjoy the voyage
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast