Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Chapman and Willan 1958-1975

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Clem Yates

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Stones View Post
    Alec, over the years I have often thought about Clem Yates because he always stuck in my mind as a cracking seaman, always with a smile, great teacher, great yarns and as you say, quite a character. I put out a search for him on the original forum but to no avail and yesterday, on joining this newer forum, I was astonished to see your request for anyone who new him. I was an apprentice with Chpmans from 1952 to 1956, sailing on the Scorton and Frumenton and then 3rd mate on the Ingleton for 1 trip. During my last trip on the Scorton in 1955 I was priveledged to sail with Clem and if your interested I have a good photo of him taken in 1955. I'm sorry to hear of his death but as you say RIP Clem. Kindest regards. Rod Stones.
    Hi Rod, sorry not to have replied to your post before this as I was away for most of September and have only just come across it. As you say, Clem was a good seaman and I did quite a few trips with him in Manchester Liners. I would love to see your photo of him to put in my collection. He was a well known character on Trafford Road.

Regards............Alec.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Chapman & Willan 1969

HI
    I did my first trip on the Demeterton in 1969 flew to Amsterdam to join her then went La Rochelle Morocco Cape Town Singapore china Australia about 5 months as I remember. The only names I can remember is of an AB called Tommy Merrick and a steward called Barry who played the guitar oh and another steward they called dobbin.I had just come from the training school in Denton and i started with another young lad who was from Birmingham his surname was walsh i think he was flown home mid cruise as he developed a goiter on his neck.Ring any bells?
    Last edited by perfectstranger; 6th January 2011 at 05:13 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Clem Yates

Quote Originally Posted by Trader View Post
    Hi Rod, sorry not to have replied to your post before this as I was away for most of September and have only just come across it. As you say, Clem was a good seaman and I did quite a few trips with him in Manchester Liners. I would love to see your photo of him to put in my collection. He was a well known character on Trafford Road.

Regards............Alec.
    Hi Alec, like you I have been away over the Christmas period and only just picked up your reply but if you would care to email me on rodandval@tiscali.co.uk I'll send you a copy of Clem's photo taken in 1955 on the old S/S Frumenton. Regards, Rod.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi,served my time on the seven sisters with Davy Brown amongst others.Sam Pollock was one of my mentors and Cap`n Arturs Fields.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Chapman and Willan 1958-1975

Hi Arthur,

I was on the Carlton from 23/5/62 till 22 /11/62 as a JOS, I remember we went to the US the onto Rio then Dublin with I think a ship full of rice and when they unloded number 5 hold the rice was wet. I left her in Avonmouth

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Stevens View Post
    Hi Arthur,

I was on the Carlton from 23/5/62 till 22 /11/62 as a JOS, I remember we went to the US the onto Rio then Dublin with I think a ship full of rice and when they unloded number 5 hold the rice was wet. I left her in Avonmouth
    ..........that woluld be a short trip for one of chapmans in the early 60s would it not

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Arthur Did you ever sail with a captain Lance Williams,he was my skipper on the Frumenton 1969/70.I believe he won a fortune on Littlewoods pools later on in the 70s.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: chapman and willan

Evening John, like you, I just looked in my discharge book and see that I was an apprentice on the old Frumenton in 56/57 with Bill Peacock and I totaly agree with you, he was a very good skipper.
    Rod Stones, Mablethorpe, Lincs., apprentice with Chatties from 30/10/52 until 26/3/57

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Chapmans

Quote Originally Posted by tsell View Post
    Was on the 'Nurtureton on the infamous trip from Barahona to the Thames in 51/ 52 when we ran out of food.
    Twice came close to mutiny! Lived mostly on haricot beans and sour bread and the fruit we brought aboard.

Taffy R556959
    Hi Butty!
    What's with the Beef, about the Tucker?
    Joined Her ,not long after you.
    She was "Down by the head" with CRABS. Even took some Home.
    (unfortunately)

10. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Chapmans

Brighton 2.10.66 to 29.09.67........ Many happy memories, the best trip ever. So many things happened no one would believe they were true.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast