Thread: merton 1944 and empire gull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default merton 1944 and empire gull

i am trying to track down pictures of two merchant vessels of the 2nd w.war,my father served on the merton,a collier ,which capsized with all hands i believe on the trip after he left her in 1944,she may have been owned by chapmans ,the other was the empire gull on which he was torpedoed and sunk off madagascar ,he has tried to find pictures of both to no avail ,and is now 91,if anyone can help track down any pictures or know where they might be available from ,would be very grateful

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

MERTON Carlton SS and Cambay SS(mgrs.R.Chapman) 21.i2.1941 Stranded on Pluckington Bank off enterance to Herculaneum Dock Liverpool and broke her back.Two halves refloted and rejoined in DD at Birkenhead and returned to service 12.1942Sold 1960r/n UNION PACIFIC Wkd.3.12.1964
    click on>Old Ships M (Merton-01)
    Last edited by Tony Frost; 5th September 2012 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only ship named Merton I know of from WWII was built in 1941, but survived the war. V.H. Young and L.A. Sawyer Black and White ship negative collection has a photo for sale of this ship

Ships by V.H. Young & L.A. Sawyer

The Empire Gull was built in 1919 as the SS Brave Coeur, but I am unable to trace a photo of this ship under either name from my usual sources.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Gulliver Guest

Arrow S.S. EMPIRE GULL (1) .....

Welcome ! (Supasax)
    EMPIRE GULL-cargo ship- 6,408 tons former name BRAVE COEUR
    Sorry,no picture-yet,but info HERE

Best Regards
    Gulliver

Tony Morcom Guest

Smile Welcome

Welcome to the site Supasax I take it that you are probably a musician either by trade or hobby. As you have already found many on here are all too eager to help with research. It is to be hoped that you enjoy the content here which is as varied as the members.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default the merton formerly brave couer

that is the same ship,i believe