Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Empress Of England Old Bosun

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Empress of England - mid 60's

I saw the comments regarding the ex-Bosun from the E. of England. The name Coffey was mentioned and I wondered if he was referring to Samie Coffman who was also a Purser during this period. He was one of a number of ex-HMS Conway Cadets who joined Canadian Pacific during this period. Colin Stopher was another one together with myself and a guy who came along afterwards - John Tomlinson I think his name was. I heard that Samie died about 4-years ago. His widow - Sally - still lives in the S.West.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Enmpress of england

I served on the "england" the same years as yourself. I was the chief engineer's writer ...got married in liverpool then left the ship in 1961. Moved to canada in 1967 and have lived here ever since. Regards john

4. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Empress / Writer

John

Having spent a number of years at sea I have no idea what a "Chief Engineers writer" is, can you please enlighten

Thanks

Ivan

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have never heard of one.
    Cheers, Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Empress of England Old Bosun.

The Chief Engineers Writer kept a log book just as they did on the bridge.I suppose he recorded amount of oil used daily and whatever else went on in the engine room.Maybe he also recorded the overtime worked by greasers firemen etc which would be passed to the Pursers Office.Knowing CPR I dont think they got much overtime down below.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default E of England

No disrespect Jim but think I'll wait for "John the Writer" to respond and clarify his duties.

We didn't have a "Writer" on the bridge to keep Log Books on the ships I sailed on. We had a "Scrap" log book in which we recorded events/positions/wind direction/sea state/RPM/soundings etc etc on a watch by watch basis all entries made by Officer of the Watch in HB pencil not ink. The captain then designated a junior officer to copy this into the "Proper" Log in ink, as this became the Legal Document, although in court cases I attended the "Scrap" log was the one referred to, the reason for the HB pencil is that it is harder to erase and if it is erased then the hard lead leaves an indentation on the paper, so is never properly erased. (2B lead pencils were used on charts as they were easy to erase and did not leave indentations on the expensive charts)

Overtime for deck was kept by the Bosun and checked by C/O

So just what did the C/E and 2/E do on these passenger ships, no disrespect intended, just curious

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hi ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Walker View Post
    ...... so we began chatting and he told me he was the bosun on the England from 1964 until sold in 1970 his name was Taffy Williams ....
    Hope all is well in your world m8, Yep its a small world i had a day on the pier head last Sunday with the misses we had our nosh in the Albert dock, There was something getting filmed in the Lpool one area so we walked around it via Paradise St and Hardman St to get to queens square i sat outside the Bee Hive and had a pint for about half an hour. Spotted a very familular face standing outside one of the shops. Remember us meeting 40 odd year,s ago when you paid off a Harrison boat and i signed on. The guy was Jack MgIness, I went on to do 3 trip,s with him bosun on the Linguist. Good health m8 Terry.
    {terry scouse}

13. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I never got around to going in the Beehive, Always intended to for many many years, I believe there is a corner with the details of the Cameo Murders, Is that right Terry.? It was alleged that the murders were planned in there, but we disproved it.
    I was involved with the murder case and am in George Skelly`s book. Cameo Conspiracy.
    Cheers
    Brian.

15. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hi BRIAN

Yes indeed m8 it is believed that the murders were planned in the Bee Hive pub in Lpool and often becomes the topic of conversation, This link gives you evidence the police collected and basicaly the tale Regards Bri Terry.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-20738663/
    {terry scouse}

17. Thanks Charlie Hannah, N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the linkTerry,
    I was a friend of Charles Connolley for many years and introduced him to Author George Skelly. I still talk to his widow and exchange cards at Christmas.
    I was beaten up by Inspector Balmer in my home, Don Johnson confessed to the murder, Rose Heilbron his KC got him off.Then they arrested Kelly and Connolley seven months later. Charles did ten years in Wakefield sharing the same cell as Christopher Craig who shot PC Miles in an attempted robbery in London, Bentley was hanged for that even tho` he was innocent.
    I met a Liverpool man in Melbourne in 1956 who claimed to have done the two murders, I battered him, unfortunately I should have hung on to him and found his name.
    With Lou Santangelli and George Skelly, we campaigned for exoneration of the two lads. I made a statement of my involvement and the man who claimed to have done it in Melbourne, for the Criminal Court of Appeal.
    Lou Santangelli was a Liverpool business man who was also a friend of Charles, he was so convinced of his innocence.
    He was the driving force behind the appeals.
    A lot went on behind the scenes with the family of George Kelly which today has a few misgivings.
    They were both cleared of the charges at the Appeal Court in London. The Home Office gave permission for George Kelly to be exhumed from under the car park in Walton Gaol. A funeral was arranged at the Catholic Cathedral, Paddy`s Wigwam.
    George Skelly and I attended and were refused admission, We, who had campaigned and got him exhumed were turned away at the door by Security Guards. We were not allowed to attend the funeral, His so called daughter would not let us in. There was a big crowd from the Bullring flats, who were all too young to ever have met George Kelly were in there.
    George Skelly and I stood outside for over an hour in the cold and Rain waiting for them to come out. I got the photos, They are in George Skelly`s book, "Cameo Conspiracy".
    Years ago I spent a long time trying to find Jackie Dickson and `Stutty` Northem, but they had vanished, they were paid money for giving evidence against the two lads.
    After the Appeal a woman in London wrote a letter to say that she thought a relative of hers had done the Murders and went to Australia out of the way, his description was very similar to the man I met in Melbourne.
    The book is on Amazon, very , very interesting story. I am in the Credits and have my own chapter in it.
    below , George Kelly`s Funeral 53 years after his Execution
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 19th July 2012 at 02:41 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast