Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Antwerp ringo's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Antwerp ringo's.

Re large bank notes , Des after a 7 month first trip to sea in 1953 , Iwas allowed to leave theship for a couple of days and managed to get back up the. NE from London and back to rejoin the vessel in Cardiff all within 3 days and that included travelling time. However I had the grand total of five of the big white fivers plus half a crown. Going into a local cafe where I had used to live , to be a show off I produced one of them to the waitress for a 3d. Cup of coffee. The young girl was aghast at the sight and had to get the manager to Inspect it, and I had to put my name and address on the back of it ,I gave the other 4 big white fivers to my mother before catching the train back to my second home in Cardiff which was loading coal for South America. Maybe that saying penny wise , pound foolish may have had some relativity to my foolishness. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very similar experience to JS, my first trip was was 6.5 months we paid off in Cardiff, can't remember how many white £fivers and £1 notes I had
    but know my leave was about three weeks, on the second day of my leave, I was off to the High Road to buy some gear, went into the record shop
    and trying to impress the girl behind the counter, I pulled out a fiver but was told, I can't change that, so I had to give her a £1 not, but I had done
    enough to impress and got a date for my troubles . A few years ago I collected UK coins and banknotes as a hobby, I've got all of the WWII coins
    and notes and the white fiver which I bought purely for nostalgia, cheers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Friends of mine came from Perth WA last year, he had several of the £50 notes, they were refused in several places on the Island, just one of those notes, had they been available in our time, would have made you very popular in all of those bars for a long time, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Re large bank notes , Des after a 7 month first trip to sea in 1953 , Iwas allowed to leave theship for a couple of days and managed to get back up the. NE from London and back to rejoin the vessel in Cardiff all within 3 days and that included travelling time. However I had the grand total of five of the big white fivers plus half a crown. Going into a local cafe where I had used to live , to be a show off I produced one of them to the waitress for a 3d. Cup of coffee. The young girl was aghast at the sight and had to get the manager to Inspect it, and I had to put my name and address on the back of it ,I gave the other 4 big white fivers to my mother before catching the train back to my second home in Cardiff which was loading coal for South America. Maybe that saying penny wise , pound foolish may have had some relativity to my foolishness. Cheers JS

The ole white fivers, commonly known as white handkerchiefs.
    Blow your nose on one of those and you have blown five quid!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2