Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Pacific

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Canadian Pacific

I was an apprentice on the Beaverglen, Beaverlake and Beaverford and then a junior officer on the Beaverfir, Beaverelm, Beaverpine, Beaveroak and Beaverash as well as being an uncertificated 4th Officer on the Empress of England and Canada in the 1960s, through some "interesting" times in The Royal Docks London, Antwerp, Hamburg, Bremerhaven, Bremen, Le Havre, Liverpool, Montreal, Quebec and the Great lakes ports of Toronto, Hamilton, Kingston, Welland, Detroit, Windsor and Bay City.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Canadian Pacific

Hi Stuart
    I was on the "Beaveroak" circa 1968/9 she had been converted to containers running between Tilbury and Quebec.
    Used to love the soap issued "Astral Cream" lovely smell, weird I know but it sunk into my memories of that ship.
    Graham R774640

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on the ENGLAND a couple of times. when Mr Jeavons was Master.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Payne View Post
    Hi Stuart
    I was on the "Beaveroak" circa 1968/9 she had been converted to containers running between Tilbury and Quebec.
    Used to love the soap issued "Astral Cream" lovely smell, weird I know but it sunk into my memories of that ship.
    "Astral Cream"sunk into my memories, And that was without lemonade, Graham never drank much just often
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Stuart
    Thanks for the Post ,however have you added these details and other to our Crew Listing? If not can you please do this ,as i all helps with keeping up with the old Crew ~
    Thank You
    Cheers

https://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/...?do=form&fid=1
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

6. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stuart/Graham
    I was cadet on the Beaverfir in October 68 through to may 69 then cadet on the Beaveroak when she was lengthened and renamed C.P. Ambassador in Rotterdam, a very interesting experience. Later I was 3rd mate on her with Tommy cooper the chief steward. A smashing guy who lived with his mother and reportedly used to hide his gin bottles from her by hanging them from the ceiling when he was home on leave. When on board he would spend the mornings sitting on the box holding the bellows air breathing apparatus, situated in the alleyway by his cabin. He was onboard with us in 73 when we had to abandon the C.P. Ambassador in a storm on the grand Banks. He was in the lifeboat whose engine broke down shortly after it was launched and they were rescued by a German general cargo ship, the captain of which manouevered his ship alongside the lifeboat in storm force winds and huge swells. The rest of us, with the exception of the captain (George gamblin) and chief engineer (Terry Robb) who stayed on board as a Russian salvage tug was on its way to take her under tow, were taken off by the R.I.B. from a German fisheries research trawler. We all eventually met up in saint Johns Newfoundland where the Russian tug brought her too. We were eventually all flown home and the ship was repaired and returned to service.
    Every voyage I did on her was eventual with something out of the ordinary happening every voyage.
    Think Tommy retired after that voyage where we abandoned ship.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    "Astral Cream"sunk into my memories, And that was without lemonade, Graham never drank much just often
    Like it.

Your oh so right there Terry, more often than not.
    Last edited by Graham Payne; 4th September 2019 at 12:26 PM.
    Graham R774640

9. Likes Terry Sullivan, Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was a Purser on board Canada, England, and Britain 1961-69. R748632.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did one trip on beaverlake early 1960 as jos

13. Likes Graham Payne, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

CPR,
    CP Ships was a large Canadian shipping company established in the 19th century. From the late 1880s until after World War II, the company was Canada's largest operator of Atlantic and Pacific steamships. Many immigrants travelled on CP ships from Europe to Canada. The sinking of the steamship RMS Empress of Ireland just before World War I was the largest maritime disaster in Canadian history. The company provided Canadian Merchant Navy vessels in World Wars I and II. Twelve vessels were lost due to enemy action in World War II including the largest ship sunk by a German U-boat, RMS Empress of Britain.
    The company moved to a model of container shipping from passenger, freight and mail service in the 1960s due to competitive pressure from the airline industry. The company was a part of the Canadian Pacific Ltd. conglomerate. It was spun out as a separate company in 2001. In 2005, it was purchased by TUI AG and is now part of the company's Hapag-Lloyd division.
    The Atlantic and Pacific passenger liners of Canadian Pacific were always British-flagged and largely British-manned and were not part of the Canadian Merchant Marine, ownership being with the British-registered Canadian Pacific Steamships Ltd. subsidiary. Originally was the C.P.R.S Canadian Pacific Steamship Railway Company. Terry
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 30th January 2020 at 10:40 PM.
    {terry scouse}

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast