Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Pacific Tug Boats .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Canadian Pacific Tug Boats .

I was just having a couple of pints with a mate of mine and I mentioned the tug boat Applegarth and it's sinking.He mentioned a relation of his went down on a tug in the Mersey just after the war.He said Canadian Pacific had their own tugs (3) he did mention the names of them,names of Canadian animals I think ,I cant quite remember.The tug in question was the Moose,I googled this and I was directed to this site,so it has been brought up on here before under the Canadian Pacific thread but I dont believe any information was learnt about it.Anybody fancy having a go at doing a bit of research on this,I would be very intersted in reading it.I must ask my mat next week the name of his relation that was aboard it at the time of the tragedy.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Canadian Pacific Tug Boats

I posted on this last week regarding the tugboat Moose one of Canadian Pacific's tugs in Liverpool.I have tried to find info on the sinking of this tug and I can not find any info even on the company tugs.I was with my mate today,he tells me he went to his cousins funeral who went down on the Moose in 1945.I have a photo of the Moose with the tender Bison.When Canadian Pacific bought the Beaver Line ships from Elder Dempster in1903,it also took over the Mersey Towing Company plus the tugs Beaver,Otter and Panther.
    Two tugs were built in 1915 Moose and Wapiti,I cannot find anything about these two tugs,despite the tragedy.Questions regarding this tug have been asked on this forum before without success hopefully maybe something will come of this post.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Gulliver Guest

Question CP Tug MOOSE.....

I spent some time researching this and can only come up with the following details.
    I'm not subscribed to The Times Online,but maybe someone here is,and can reproduce the newspaper article.

28th July 1945
    s.tug MOOSE ( British)- 208 tons,built 1915.

The tug collided with the Canadian freighter s.s.KAWARTHA PARK ( O.N.175571 ) blt 7/44 7,130 grt belonging to Canadian Gov’mt,registered Montreal) The tug sank in the River Mersey at Birkenhead,Cheshire. with the loss of all six crew.[60}

[60] = Source "Six Drowned In Tug" The Times (London). Monday, 30 July 1945. Issue 50207, col C, p. 2.

Above details are found on
    THIS site.(Scroll down to 7. July-then 28th July)

Best Regards
    Gulliver
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Candian Pacific Tug Boats.

Davey,thanks for that info I have'nt been able to find anything about the sinking,tried various sites.I was talking to my mate about the Applegarth and he happened to mention that his cousin went down on the Moose that was the first that I had heard of it.After I mentioned it on here John Rimmer who is a member on here spotted it and he also lost a relative aboard the Moose,so the other day I was sitting with two people who had family connections to it.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Applegarth

Hello Jim,i was on the Verdaguer,one of McAndrews,we were coming down the Mersey on the way home on the 13 or 14January 1960,and the Pilot told us that the Applegarth had gone down,it was a freezing night and started snowing,could tell you more let me know.From Ken.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Applegarth

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth kenny View Post
    Hello Jim,i was on the Verdaguer,one of McAndrews,we were coming down the Mersey on the way home on the 13 or 14January 1960,and the Pilot told us that the Applegarth had gone down,it was a freezing night and started snowing,could tell you more let me know.From Ken.
    Hi Jim,i went to the Crosby Library today,but the Computors were down,they were putting them up to date.Went down South Road for my dinner in a cafe,go there twice aweek,once with the wife.About the Applegarth Tug,five of the crew lost there lives,never found the bodys.the tug was put in to service months later,a friend of mine Maurice Robinson,from Bootle took sick that night,and was lucky,he was very upset for his crew friends,may they rest in peace,Maurice his agreat bloke,he had two brothers on the tugs John and Billy good family.Reas tugs.Take Care from Ken.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth kenny View Post
    Hi Jim,.
    ken i was in south road today we may have just walked passed each other i would be on the stick

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Canadian Pacific Tugboats.

Hi Ken,so you come to my part of the world a couple of times a week.I am in the Alexander thursday and friday and the Lion and Unicorn sundays.We must arrange to have a pint one afternoon,Wetherspoons opens next month that will be a good place to go with your wife.Keep in touch .
    Regards.
    Jim.B

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bootle

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    Hi Ken,so you come to my part of the world a couple of times a week.I am in the Alexander thursday and friday and the Lion and Unicorn sundays.We must arrange to have a pint one afternoon,Wetherspoons opens next month that will be a good place to go with your wife.Keep in touch .
    Regards.
    Jim.B
    Hello,thanks for email i will be in the Crosby Library on Monday morning about 11-30,have a Vindicatrix Sweat shirt on,and brown shoes,should spot me.By the way Jim, Bootle Born lived off Monfa Road six Brothers, two Sisters,Married for over fifty years,lived in Anfield since then.Take Care from Ken.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Canadian Pacific Tugs.

Hi Ken,my wifes sister and family lived in Monfa right bang in front of the church,emigrated to Australia around 1968.who was the other guy that lived down there? Jimmy was his name,was a steward got put off the pool and went back away as a fireman.I was with him when he was a plateman on the Britain the next time I met him he was a fireman on the King Henry.I was born and bred down the Lane.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast