Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Empress of Australia and France

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kirby View Post
    Hi Ted, the name Jimmy Turtin rings a bell but I can,t recall his face like so many others on board, another character that stood out was Sammy Lally a boatdeck AB , the skipper Charles De Hauteville Bell was also a CPR
    wartime skipper went onto to many other Empresses I was informed that the E of Australia ex De Grasse was sunk at Bordeaux by the Germans , that was,nt very comforting to a first tripper I was expecting leaks everywhere, we collided with large whale in mid atlantic and I watched it from the wing of the bridge(messy) I,ll never forget that.
    I went on to do about eight voyages on the Empress of Britain bosuns mates were Fank molloy and a guy named Bennet, I was Q.M cheers Tom.
    Hi again tom i knew both the Malloys and the Bennet family they were from the marsh lane area of liverpool i am sure Jim brady would have known them also Regards Tom Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Empress of France/Australia

Hi Terry and Tom, I sailed with Brian Molloy on the Britain he was Bosuns Mate (Was his brother Colin).
    I dont think they came from Marsh Lane,and the Bennett Tom is talking about I think Is Joe Bennett also not from the Lane.
    I was on the Salinas Jimmy Turton was Bosun and Joe Bennett was Bosuns Mate.They knew each other well from the Empress boats.
    Talking of the "Mighty Quinn" I emptied a rosie over the wall from the boat deck on the weather side when I was Bellboy(well it was meant to go over the wall but ended up littering the boat deck)Martin hunted me down and gave me a right rollicking.
    Regards.
    Jim B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Tom,my drinking partner in Waterloo retired off the ferries coming up to 13 years ago.He's known localy here as Andy.I dont know if he used that nickname on the ferries his correct name is John Anderson.Did you work with him on the ferries.
    A couple of months ago I went down to the Pier Head to have a look at the new canal whilst I was there I jumped aboard the Woodchurch and a couple of the guys on there remembered Andy.
    I think he meets a couple of old ferry pals every Saturday in town some pub by t he "Why Not"
    Regards.
    JimB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ref post #22

hi jim the malloy family who had a few seafarer's in there family if not mash lane then certainly the bootle area joe bennett. was a regiular around the town i caught a bus with him a few times coming along the dock road towards seaforth? he always got of the bus canal st area i assumed he was also the bootle area, also jim there are now younger bennetts that live in the bootle area, malloy had a sister who married one of the maddens who you will know i will find out for sure i meet up with there son from time to time around the strand area a few of them have there fingers in a few pubs around the strand and kirkdale area, and pass on regards to you both ted.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 15th June 2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: quote removed
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 4 jim brady

Jim are u ok for next wednesday 17th march early morning chat about lunch time it is important but nothing 4 you or your good wife to worry about..... regards Ted,
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ted,give me a ring and I'l only be glad to see you.Dont leave it to late because I'l most probably be going out to celebrate St.Patricks Day
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile mersey ferries

hi Jim, don.t recall any names from the ferries I only worked on them for three months in the mid sixties I then went to work on the pilot launches for a few years. regards Tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile R m s empress of france

hello to you C P R folks i was on the France 23 4 1954 to 3 8 1954 was one the roast corner as asst cook with a mate called IVAN ? A good football player roast cook was named JIMMY again i can not recall his surname good times in the 1950s i am still new at this but think it is great I did 11 years in British m / n then 14 years in the Australian m /n i am now 76 so i have had to swallow the anchor miss the life at sea but never far from it good luck to you all John Lennnon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Empress of Australia and France

Hello Lennan

What Aussie ships were you on?

I was Asst Steward on the Bulolo, Morinda, Manunda, Koolinda, and Coramba. Worked by on the Murkur and NZ's Wahine. 1948/49.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Empress Boats

Hi Lennon, are you sure your mates name was'nt Ivor and not Ivan?Ivor Roberts was in the kitchen for many years on the Empress boats,I think he went on various corners.I think it could be the same guy.I think his brother was on deck also a good footballer and he went to N.Z. coaching.
    The France was my first ship,what a ship it was!!!! I was on £12.26d per month I made more than that each way to Montreal and back.Seventeen day trips I was loaded!!!!,I was Bellboy at the time.
    There was something about the France that was different,nothing like these new ships that came in could replace.I always remember the way in which it creaked in the rough weather and the way in which it used to seem to plow through the waves.Having said that we were nearly always late home having got stuck in the ice.
    Who were those characters that used to hang around the top af the alleyway by the stewards messroom."The Aga"Engineroom Boss and "Johnny the Gob" Night Steward and Boots I think.They were always there it seemed no matter what time of day.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

T

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast