Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Empress of Australia and France

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Welcome!

Hi Tom K
    Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
    Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
    So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
    Hope we will have you here for a long time!
    A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
    Cheers

Also"

If you would like to join in and have your Full name R Number and First Ship
    Included in the Flag project then please pass it on to Mike Hall who is doing a Main Flag for all
    to be displayed some time in one of the UK Museums!
    Thank you

Please go to following Link and follow instructions there

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1967
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Empress of Australia

Hi Ian, I once had slight skirmish with Martin Quinn. At the end of my first voyage the deck crew queued up
    to get their end of trip double tot of rum from the Bosun and Bosuns mates,I stood happily in line a cheeky
    sixteen year old holding out my cup to be filled, when Quinn saw me he flew into a rage and threw me out, terrified me, deckboys were,nt included, after that I kept out of his way,as you say he had a formidable
    reputation, looking back it was funny tho. Tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default list of ships

Hi John in OZ, My ships are as follows,
    Empress of Australia, Aeneas, Demodocus, Neleus, Pampas, Ashanti Palm, Assiout, Murillo, Seattle Star,Patani,
    Potaro, Diplomat, Athel Crest, Elizabeth Bowater, Esso Cheyenne, Trochishus, Ivernia, Reina Del Mar, El Lobo,
    Empress of Britain, Coralles, Sulaco, Malan, ex Malancha, Mertola, Lynn Weir, Mossville and Pilot Launches Petrel and
    Puffin, 1955/1965 finishing off with mersey ferries Mountwood and Woodchurch. what an adventure, all good memories.
    Last edited by Tom Kirby; 13th December 2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: addendum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Tom, besides being on the Emp. of Australia at the same time, I wonder if its possible we were together on the Seattle Star. I was on her Feb.1958-June 1958. Did one trip on her up the west coast of USA..Ian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default seattle star

Hi Ian , Yes its very possible that we were on the Seattle Star at the same time , the dates tally, notably there was a steward named Cleo and the cook was Nelly Dean, two characters you would remember.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The names sound familiar. What I do remember was the 20,000 or so cases of Scotch we were carrying. Myself and the lamptrimmer volunteered nightwatch in most ports. I wonder why?? The mate was worried in case there would be none left to unload in Vancouver. Also recall we had a couple of passengers going to Vancouver. They had two lovely Black Labradors with them. We had uncovered the hatches before entering port, and unfortunately one of the dogs jumped up on the hatch not realising it was open. He didn't survive.
    Dangerous things,open hatches. I think it was the Portland Star who was in port ahead of us. She was getting ready to sail, and was hauling up dunnage out of the hold. Some of it caught on a crossbeam that wasn't locked and it fell into the hold killing one of the crew. Not sure but I think it was the bosun.Quite a trip!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hi Tom.

ref post 32

Hi TOM,you must also remember the late jimmy and ernie turtin , jimmy was second bosun to the mighty quinn on the canada.I sailed with them both on the canada. then a few years later joined a palm boat jimmy turtin was the bosun. Talking of paint jobs we finished painting the ships side on the kano palm. Jimmy asked me to join him on a little launch he obtained and go on his holiday:s going around the ship we were in port harcourt on the west coast, Jimmy was bladdered after we set off on this launch he fell over that many times he said i will inspect it from down here you have a look up there i got on with jimmy like a house on fire. And had many a good laugh with him he was a mans man i dont know any people who has a bad word for him.The poor guy dropped dead at the foot of the gangway after paying off a palm boat around 1975. Ernie went on to work for the M.D.H.B. After the shore gang finished i believe he lasted up until the late 80:s Although i was told a few weeks back he is still going dont know who to believe maybe you can help with correct info regards Tom Ted.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 15th June 2010 at 10:17 AM.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Empress of France/Australia

Hi Ted,Ernie Turton passed away about 12 months ago,as you know he drank down South Road where I go.
    Regards
    Jim B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Empress of Australia

Hi Ted, the name Jimmy Turtin I remember but I can,t recall his face like so many others on board, another character that stood out was Sammy Lally a boatdeck AB , John Costello was senior Quarter master, the skipper Charles De Hauteville Bell was also a CPR
    wartime skipper went onto to many other Empresses I was informed that the E of Australia ex De Grasse was sunk at Bordeaux by the Germans , that was,nt very comforting to a first tripper I was expecting leaks everywhere, we collided with large whale in mid atlantic and I watched it from the wing of the bridge(messy) I,ll never forget that.
    I went on to do about eight voyages on the Empress of Britain bosuns mates were Fank molloy and a guy named Bennet, I was Q.M cheers Tom.
    Last edited by Tom Kirby; 13th December 2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: addendum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hi jim hope your well mate.

That confirms it then thanks for that jim.I knew they were regulars in the crosby comreades as you will know.Hope your xmas doo went down well with stan, I must drop in for a coffee again sometime jim i enjoyed our little chat Regards Jim Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast