Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Deceased Merchant man abroad

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Deceased Merchant man abroad

Evenin All. I'm looking for a bit of help here, actually a lot of help. My G/father was Christopher SMITH born 1923 or 1925 in Liverpool. He is recorded as having died ' presumed drowned ' on 30th June 1925 while he was on the MELITA and in Antwerp. I have managed to obtain a copy of the relevant entry in the ' Register of Deceased Seaman '. It gives only the briefest of details, what I would like to know is, would I be able to obtain a copy of the ship's log from somewhere or other. I would hope that there should be a detailed entry of the occurrence /circumstances surrounding his death, also I would like to know if there was an official inquiry / inquest into his death and where I could get those details from, also the body was never brought home (if he drowned, even in the dock, he may not have been recovered ) but I feel sure that somewhere there should be various sources of information about his death, in archives and/or newspapers home and abroad.
    Told you it would be a lot of help required, - any help /pointers in the right direction gratefully received, put my mind at rest and G/dad to rest.
    Cheers everyone.
    Chris.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Deceased Merchant man abroad

Hi Chris
    Yes indeed a lot to look into,and with time I hope we here may be able to assist in some small way!
    At this point all I can suggest is that if you get the Crew Listing for that Ship on the time frame,it should also have the Log about the incident with it! I say this as when I applied for my Crew lists they sent in these are also Logs of each incident recorded at Sea!
    These Crew lists if survived can be obtained at this Link!

https://www.mun.ca/mha/about/orderagreements.php

Hope this may be of help and get you started!
    Cheers
    Doc
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McKEOWN View Post
    Evenin All. I'm looking for a bit of help here, actually a lot of help. My G/father was Christopher SMITH born 1923 or 1925 in Liverpool. He is recorded as having died ' presumed drowned ' on 30th June 1925
    Cheers everyone.

Chris.
    Could you confirm all dates ? also any further info, middle name / initial etc. Possibly from the details you have, you should have his discharge book number ?

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 22nd January 2014 at 06:25 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

His date of birth is given as the same date as his death.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These are the only two Smiths I can find at this time Born Liverpool between 1923/25
    Cheers
    Smith.jpg

Click on Pic to increase Size!

NB Disregard this then if date is incorrect!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 22nd January 2014 at 07:10 PM.

R697530

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Doc think it will be advised that the birth was about 1895.

If the link works, looking nearer - http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/m...nce=5&keyWord=

K
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 22nd January 2014 at 06:57 PM.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Doubt if related to the enquiry but may be of interest:

Murder on the Melita [Oct 1925]

In October 1925, the S.S. Melita [Canadian Pacific] made a routine call to Antwerp to collect would be emigrants and other passengers heading to Canada.

Built by Barclay, Curle Ltd at Glasgow, the ship came into service in January 1918. Later in 1932 she was converted to become a cruise ship then sold to an Italian owner and was eventually scrapped in 1950.

On the night of 20th October all was being prepared as she was to board her 2000 passengers the next morning. Captain Arthur Honeywell Clews, a Birkenhead man who had served with Canadian Pacific for many years, took to his cabin to sleep for a few hours. It was to be his last sleep as First Officer Towers entered the cabin and holding a revolver close to the victim’s head fired so that the bullet entered the scull by the eye socket.

One of the engineer officers David Gilmour and Purser McLennan hearing the shot rushed to investigate and were joined by the 2nd engineer John Holiday. They saw Towers transfixed by the scene in Clews’ cabin and turned to face them and aimed at the two engineers. The gun jammed and the three cautiously approached Towers. Thomas Towers, a moody individual, was 56 years of age and held a grudge of his lack of promotion with the company. A struggle took place, Towers seemingly to have increasing bouts of anger and strength was not giving in too easily. Both the engineers were injured in the affray and were later taken to the hospital in Antwerp.

He made one final attempt to clear the gun and aimed it at his own temple but was eventually over powered. Towers was locked in his cabin, and, in the meantime Dr James Benny, the ship’s doctor, attended the body of the captain but he considered that death had been instantaneous.

We imagine that in depth discussions took place between the company agent, the local police and possibly embassy staff. It seems that because it was a British registered ship and the deceased and injured officers and the perpetrator were British that a decision was taken that the Southampton police would investigate the crime when the ship arrived in port on the next stage of the voyage to Montreal.

Chief Inspector Luccy and his team including an official photographer boarded the tender Vulcan with a local undertaker. Clews was placed in a temporary coffin and as the handcuffed accused was led toward the tender, Thomas Towers stopped briefly to give a respectful look towards the coffin.

Thomas Augustus Towers was tried for the murder of Captain Clews and the attempted murder of two other officers at Winchester Assizes. He was committed to Broadmoor as criminally insane, the sentence being termed “at the King’s pleasure”.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well done Keith
    Very interesting even though it may not be related to the query!
    Cheers
    Doc

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just of some interest as well!
    Cheers

http://www.gjenvick.com/PassengerLis...#axzz2rA2tGcP7

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    These Crew lists if survived can be obtained at this Link!

https://www.mun.ca/mha/about/orderagreements.php
    Doc
    I am afraid you wont find any crew agreements or official logbooks in Canada for 1925 at the link above. A percentage of logbooks/agreements, if survived, for the year 1925 will be held at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich.

http://www.rmg.co.uk/national-maritime-museum

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast