Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Beaverford 1960

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default beaverboats

HI, well i must admit, i only sailed on one turbine ship, TSS CERAMIC, i loved steam reciprocating, was on a couple of those, like big sewing machines, but i liked my diesels, except B and W, too many scavenge fires, Doxford were good, was not keen on steam turbine, very hot in engine room, later turbo diesels not good,noise was crazy,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Beaverford 1960

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth walker View Post
    Anyone around that sailed on the Beaverford in the late fifties and sixties?
    I read about the "white Beavers" - these were just coming in when I departed for greener pastures.
    I spent most of my CP time sailing out of Antwerp. In those days when Belgium was a colonial power, Antwerp swung 7/24 and as the Beaver boats moored on the river berths (23/24/25) was ideal for trotting up the St.Paulusstrasse to where the action was around the St.Paulussplatts.
    I remember Erma's bar (Cafe d'Valk) and the Ringo (Mariar's place) and many more.
    Antwerp was our home port and the antics we got up to left me with so many happy memories of the place.
    I was an engineer aboard Beaverford for a total of two and a half years. She was a wreck in many respects but I don't think I ever sailed on a happier ship.
    I would welcome contact from anyone from that time.
    Iish sailed on the Beaverford and Beaverlodge for a few trips during the mid 50s,and fondly remember Ermas Bar /Ringos/and the Whit Cross on the corner of the square,what wonderfull times they were. not to mention Dannys Bar. We sailed with a german crew on the Beaverlodge,I and one other lad were the only british lads on deck.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: More Beaverford

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth walker View Post
    Thanks Den and Oz John - Between April 58 and April 63 I sailed with only Guinea Gulf and CP.
    My ships were Rose of Lancaster (GG Line charter), John Holt, Beavrford, Robert L Holt, Elizabeth Holt, Beaverford, Empress of Britain,
    I landed a job in Montreal and spent four years there (parlying la Franglay).
    I came back to UK and for twenty years or so freelanced in engineering design, with a few odd staff jobs in between.
    Although I was never anything higher than professional third, the years I spent in the MN were memorable.
    Now retired (and lovin' it) I live in Bebington Wirral with my cat.in a four hundred year old cottage with views of Liverpool cathedral and Runcorn bridge and the sweep of the Mersey.
    Do any of you old uns remember Capt Scanlon.of Beaverford/Lodge fame.a gentleman but a real character,Loved his juice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2