Thread: Mick Filbee

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mick Filbee

I sailed in 3 of Buries Markes ships during the 60s, the LA COLINA in 1961, She was an ore carrier
    running mainly into Port Talbot from North Africa. I Then done nearly 10 months on the LA ESTANCIA
    she was worldwide tramping, A handy ship on deck, 5 hatches & 10 derricks, A good trip and we paid
    off in Hamburg when she was sold to the Bulgarians. The last one I was in was the LA SIERRA a bulk
    carrier with self discharge gear,Which was a washout. We joined her in Belfast then down to Casablanca
    loaded phosphates for Shanghai,Then back to Port Elizabeth for an ore cargo for Japan,Then across to
    the States, Seattle & Tacoma and loaded grain for Chittagong Pakistan. Then off again this time to
    Lourenco Marques for 2 on the bounce to Japan with ore. The next cargo was grain from Sydney to
    Amesterdam and pay off. A good crowd , And some good runs up the road .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Buries Markes

Hi Mick,

I remember you well from the La Sierra. I was one of the apprentices and also joined in Belfast. You have a good memory alright and the trip was exactly as I recall.
    I have just retired from the MN as I am now 62 and have been sailing as Master since 1985 with China Navigation Co (out of Hong Kong). Not sure when you left the sea but since those days in La Sierra I have spent most of my time in the Far East - Aust/NZ region and all those ports that were so interesting in the 60's are now fairly characterless and dull in comparison. You will not recognise them. All seamens bars etc. gone.
    I hope that you are keeping well and still in Eastbourne/Brighton/Worthing?

Best regards. John Macleod.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mick Filbee

Hi,

I'm looking for information on the La Colina and I'm just wondering if you can help me as I see you've mentioned the ship in your above post? My Dad joined the Merchant Navy when he was around 17 (he will have been 17 in the Jun of 1958). I believe he left Port Talbot on a ship called the Mapledor heading to France to be scrapped, but mid journey they were told somebody in Canada had purchased it so they took it there. After that I believe he was on the La Colina for around 10 years as a welder. Hes mentioned a false funnel and a change of name for the ship when in French waters, I believe the other name used was Felix Belediz or something like that. The spelling is probably completely off, but then I thought La Colina started with Lark until I found your post. I'm not after anything specific really, but it would be quite nice to know if possible where he was in what years, but anything would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance,

Katie