Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BP Pension

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: BP Pension

#1... something similar Paul. Was a non contributory scheme and part of contractual agreement for the 8 years I was there with a certain company. Know for a fact some got. Took legal advice from a friend who followed it up and in the finish said there was no chance of tracing, as the insurance company’s who participated in these changes were just changed to foil any trace to years ago. The MNOPF has not too far back changed proprietyship and seem to be going ok , but they have the habit of keep writing to see if one is still alive. If BP have decided you are not getting, they have to many ways of legally avoiding, not morally, but you show me someone with morals these days. I wouldn’t waste your money with legal advice as is just money down the drain. Try getting in touch with the MNOPF as usually find these company pensions are tied in somewhere with them. They will give advice for free. Best of luck. JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 19th November 2017 at 10:32 AM.

2. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi Louis
    Is that for ordinary seamen or Company people? I have never received anything from anyone in the UK, not even the Gov't maybe they saw me as just a deserter.
    Cheers Des
    It is for all ratings Des , for most of my time at sea I went from company to company never staying with one for any length of time.

4. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Louis

I am trying to claim my pension from the 70s and 80s, thank you for the above information, I will try them on Monday. If you have any further information that may help, I would be most grateful to receive it.

Thanks again

Paul Cook

6. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Currently live in North West Arkansas on the White River.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am sorry that so many people have unsatisfactory deals with the pension scheme, I don't have much good to say about BP personnel dept, but they treated me exceptionally well with regards to the pension. I get both BP and NOPF pensions, with no problems and BP advice line is great if you have tax problems.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have never heard anyone complain about BPs pension. I even have a son in law who receives as was made unfit for work at about 4O years of age with re-active arthritis. Never heard him complain. The pensions I am referring to are the smaller companies who have contracts stating that they will pay into an insurance for a top up scheme to bring your mnopf up to two thirds of the going salary. Never saw this happening. Think BPs pension may be a pension in its own right. I subsist on the mnopf and the aged pensions, the mnopf I took at 52 and was minute by present day standards , the stipulation being if went back into the scheme again it would stop while I paid contributions again. I never again paid into it. At the time it Was a life saver as the wages were that small could barely afford to pay the mortgage. I have no love for the British shipowner for putting so many loyal employees into such difficult situations. One may well say the Forgotten British Merchant Navy. There are plenty who forget at the drop of a hat. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th September 2018 at 01:21 AM.

10. Thanks robpage thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Ken Norton liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Unless things have changed at BP since 2013 there is no such thing as a BP pension scheme for the sea going staff of today. They are not classified as BP employees they are referred to as contractors. They do give advice on pensions and I think they operate in conjunction with Fidelity ? But BP do not make any employers contributions to that scheme. I think they will deduct what you want paid into the Fidelity scheme from your wages.

BP sea staff still get preferred share options up to £250 a month. Office staff I believe also get preferred share options to any amount also I believe BP will match what you buy 1 for 1. So sea staff as usual are not really held in very high regard by the lords and masters at BP HQ. BP even sh-t on the sea staff when they decided to flag the fleet into the IOM Flag. From paying NIC's Class 2 the sea staff then had to pay Class 1 NIC's. BP did not have to make any NIC contributions as they said that the sea staff were employed via BP Services Singapore. My NIC contributions went from £450 ish a year to Just under £5000 a year. I did not object to having to pay it but for BP to not contribute I thought was disgusting.

12. Likes Red Lead Ted, john walker liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think the confusion may be due to the number of qualifying years served, it was indeed a non- contributory fund by the employee but I believe you had to serve 10 years, which eventually was brought down to 5 years. The payment made #8 might have been for contracting out re- payments.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ESSO pay a good Non Contributory Pension, also you could increase that with AVCs Additional Voluntary Contributions.

I never got a Pension from the NUS , I wrote to Prescott several times but no answer, so do not know if there is one or not . I was in the NUS for eleven years.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16... my son in law is not seagoing but was in management. But he is on a pension. Maybe the BP is like the others as regards seagoing staff and just a top up to others. However as said have never heard anyone complain about their treatment re. Retiring monies. JS..
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th September 2018 at 01:50 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Iolair... As there is already a post on this vessel seems appropriate to bring it back into the conversation. I had at one time course to travel with 2 young fellows to Lowestoft by train , forget what year but would have been late 70s early 80s. They were attending some course there and I on another different course. One of these youngsters turned out to be the son of an old schoolboy friend as chance would have. He had been deep sea with BP. And was on the Iolair at the time which was run by BP on the Fourties Field , the Iolair was going under new ownership or new management and all the BP staff were being made redundant and he received well over 20,000 pounds and was re-employed with no loss of salary. I remember being green with envy wishing I worked for so kind employers.
    There were good ones I am led to believe and always thought BP was one of them, unlike the BSF which received 1137 pounds plus some pence for over 30 years service. The two what I call young fellows as relative to myself at the time were both ex catering staff members. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th September 2018 at 02:09 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast