Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Collision

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Collision

If you knew the Island you wouldn't be saying that. I let 6 of the surveyors off the vessel I was on as they were clamouring to go, they came back more sober than what they went ashore if that was possible. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 20th June 2017 at 08:55 AM.

2. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

##on my ist deep sea trip we ran from chermainus...sailed 13th of feb arriving sydney nsw march 16 ...a fair run......i was interested in navigation and the 2nd mate told me the arrival date if we had not a lot of bad weather......the day before we arrived i chatted to him and he stated by a certain time we would see the landmass of oz and sydney heads......s ure enough there it was ......cappy mystified at this wondrous calculation......that was a decent run a month down to oz in the lee of pitcairn to secure timber on deck a day or so.....those were very carefree days of my life and happy ......duff every sunday and sundays at sea......my only responsability tatties and veg and strapping up ......jeez like valhalla.....all on a 5 hatch geordie tramp ..the world was my lobster ....cappy

4. Likes j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Crayfish out here Cappy delicious. Bet you didn't get your Lobster Thermidor in Runcimans, would have been lobster paste in a piece of last weeks bread. I know 56 pilgrim street became a night club after the big move to Glasgow. Is it still a night club? Cheers JWS.

6. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was sailing North up the North Sea on a Tanker, On my Port bow appeared a container ship. on a steady bearing sailing out of Felixstowe.
    So there was a possibility of a collision, I was the stand on vessel. I called him on VHF, asking him to take avoiding action as we would soon be colliding,
    An Asiatic voice replied, "I alter course for no one,"
    I said , "Is the Master on the Bridge?"
    Voice says, " No, Captain sleeping"
    Me, "Then alter course or we will collide in a few minutes,"
    "Captain tell me, do not alter course for anyone, and do not disturb,"
    I said , "He will be very disturbed when he collides with a tanker".
    So I decided it was a waste of time, Me, "Do NOT alter course, I will alter". I went hard a starboard and took a complete round turn out of her and brought her back onto my original course, by that time the Container ship was now on my Starboard bow and out of harms way.

I had another Overtaking ship coming up my port side in the North Sea, when southbound towards Dover. and closing , closer and closer. It was during the night,
    I shone the Aldis lamp right through his bridge and wheelhouse, No signs of life, I shone it on all the decks, again no sign of life. I could read his name. I was calling his name on VHF, No reply. again I had to go hard a starboard before her hit me and then take a complete round turn out of her and back to my original course, by that time he had gone ahead of me and was on the starboard bow going quite fast.
    I called Dover Coast Guard and reported that the ship was unmanned on the bridge and gave the name and funnel markings.
    Dover said they could do nothing about it. as many ships put them on auto steering and then all turn in.
    So there are a lot of maniacs out there. The day of the good Navigator is fast disappearing.
    Brian

The VHF is a good way to avoid situations, if you know you are talking to the right ship. Usually a flash on the Aldis lamp shows them who they are,.
    Sometimes you hear, "Ship on my port bow, ship on my port bow, get out of my way, " then a dozen voices come on, Am I the ship , where are you or which one are you , I have five ships on my bow. and so on , and total confusion.

8. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Crayfish out here Cappy delicious. Bet you didn't get your Lobster Thermidor in Runcimans, would have been lobster paste in a piece of last weeks bread. I know 56 pilgrim street became a night club after the big move to Glasgow. Is it still a night club? Cheers JWS.
    ##no chance of lobster crabs a possibility ...cappy

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Me, "Do NOT alter course, I will alter". I went hard a starboard and took a complete round turn out of her and brought her back onto my original course, by that time the Container ship was now on my Starboard bow and out of harms way.

Have had to do that a more than couple of times Brian, trickiest one was in the Sea of Japan, a very crowded area, always causes a bit of consternation down the engineroom when they see the sun doing a complete circle round the ER skylight

12. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Best thing that ever happened on a ship was bridge control where you had the opportunity of slowing down without giving the E.R. 30 minutes notice. Most modern tonnage today Is variable pitch propellers in any case, only thing is though a continuous turning propellor can cause problems in still waters the likes of harbours etc. tending to cause water movement for any small craft at berths. Happened to me in Sunderland where the owner of a yacht very distraught and came on board demanding I sign his paper for damage to his yacht as moved on the quay. Told him he should have tied up properly and to pee off with his unsigned paper. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 20th June 2017 at 11:27 AM.

14. Likes Captain Kong, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Being a ginger beer I am guessing here. Most ships these days are fitted with A.I.S (Automatic identification system) This system will bring up ships within your selected Radar range. I am sure it will give you the vessels name , course , speed and next and last ports of call. So really the VHF call of ship on my port bow are or should be long gone. but as I say I am a ginger beer.

Direct drive propulsion system
    Direct propulsion system is the most commonly used system on ships. Direct propulsion system is an invariable choice for low speed diesel engines and has a very basic arrangement. It consists of a propeller, which is connected to the main engine with the help of the shaft. Maneuvering of the ship is done by controlling the speed of the main engine and by changing the direction of rotation of the propeller. Initially this system was used in almost all the ships. Direct drive propulsion system is generally used by ships plying in confined waters and in areas wherein higher speeds are not allowed.

Geared Drive Propulsion System
    Geared drive propulsion system is extensively used nowadays. The system can be associated with almost all kinds of prime movers. Gearing has more than one function; it reduces the number of revolutions from the engine output in such a way that the system can derive maximum propeller efficiency. Gearing can also be used to connect one shaft to two prime movers or can be used to share power between two shafts or to connect a shaft alternator to the shaft connected to the propeller.

Electrical propulsion system
    Electrical propulsion was used extensively during the days of Second World War, when the ships had steam turbines as their prime movers, along with electrical drives and large gearboxes. However, nowadays most electrical drives have medium or high speed diesel engines as their prime movers.The only disadvantage of the electrical drive is that it is extremely expensive in the first cost when compared with geared drive. This is mainly because of lower mechanical efficiency, which leads to more fuel consumption and cost.
    The reversing can also be done easily by using controlled pitch propeller. However, gearing can make the task way easier.

John concerning Bridge control, a lot would depend on how much you were going to reduce speed by!!!, If you were only going to pull a rev of her or two, no problem anything more than that I am sure in the masters standing orders would an instruction to call the duty engineer and advise him to man the engine room. Obviously in an emergency situation pull her back.
    Even in altering course by say more than 10/15degrees can cause all sorts of problems as a sudden helm over can cause the engine to over load. If this happens the engine will protect itself and go into auto slow down mode.
    Modern ships are very complicated pieces of machinery with a lot of built in self preservation systems built into the computer soft ware. Computers run ships these days not men or women, yes you can hit the override button any time you want. Just bear in mind every movement is logged, every on board system is alarmed and record date day & time.
    Vessel with CP props tend to be Ferries, Cruise ships & smaller costal craft. Your big boys Tankers Bulkers and most Box boats will still be direct drive, even though today it is not uncommon to have a shaft alternator coupled up with direct drive. Slow speed diesels these days will most likely be when at full ahead (service speed)will be rolling over at 80/83 RPM.
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 20th June 2017 at 12:06 PM.

16. Thanks j.sabourn, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis the last 24 years of my life at sea was on twin screw vessels with a bowthruster of various types. I was more at home swinging ships in their own length and within feet of structures either fixed or floating. The engines would be getting continuously worked going from zero to maximum revs for long periods of time. That many different types of engines I have lost count. By the same token have been on single screw steamers for the best part about this of 25 years. Been on ships with no rudders just azimuth thrusters, and 50 year old trawlers barely Sea worthy with nowt worth mentioning. I don't know whether your a steam engineer or a motor engineer. Most engineers sailed with reckoned that there was only one engineer and that was a steam engineer with a motor endorsement and that s about as far as my knowledge goes. I took the attitude that the ER was the chiefs domain and trusted him to keep me informed of any problems he had. When I was mate I was more conversant with the ER as used todo a lot of shore side time with engineers to see who could get it fastest down their necks. Those days have long gone and as you know yourself it is a dreary time at sea these days, and makes Jack a dull boy. Myself I like talking about the old days, but just pleased I don't have to live with the shipping as it is today. Cheers John S
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 20th June 2017 at 12:57 PM.

Lewis McColl Guest

If we could only turn the clock back John and show todays kids how good a life it was. Steam engineers were always up there own ****. I will lay money on it half of them never seen the inside of a Turbine. Big Kettle and a Fog Fan that is all they were. The only thing I liked about steamers was the sound of silence compared to a Motor ship as they always sounded as if they were crushing stones.
    Me, Motor Chiefs with Steam endorsement.

19. Likes j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast