Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BP Fleet Commodore

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default BP Fleet Commodore

Back in 1980 while in my 12th week at Gravesend, I was given a weekend leave pass to visit my Dad on the British Respect at the Isle of Grain. At the time my Dad had just been made up to Bosun and my Sister had joined the British Loyalty as a first trip Deck Cadet. While I was onboard the BP Fleet News reporters were onboard doing an article on the fleet Commodore and when they heard of our family connection with BP, they did and article entitled "BP. A McGee Family Business"

While I was onboard I had my photograph taken with the Commodore and on the back of the photo is written "Commodore Buckley" I am trying to find out more about him and wonder if anyone can recall his first name. He had obviously been at sea for some years, not just because of his rank as he is wearing a number of WWII medal ribbons including the Atlantic Star, Italy Star & Burma Star campaigns.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

refer post #1

hi billy just to wish you a happy new year. cheers. alf
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 29th October 2009 at 11:18 PM.
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Commodore Buckley

Mr corbyn, are you still looking for information about Commodore Buckey ?

from robert shears

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

refer post #3

G'day robert, think it was Deepsea that was looking, not Alf.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 29th October 2009 at 11:18 PM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Commodore Buckley

I had the pleasure of sailing with Douglas Buckley several times during the 1970's. In fact I was on the British Resolution with him, in Panama, the day he was made up to Commodore.

He went, with his family, to live in Panama when he retired and died there about three years ago. He was a personal friend of General Torijos, the Military Dictator of Panama during the 1970's.

Douglas Buckley was one of the Old School, a first class seaman and an absolute Gentleman. He, and his kind, is sadley missed at sea in the medern Merchant Navy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Deepsea,

I too had the pleasure of sailing with Commodore Douglas Buckley on ss British Dragoon in 1971. He was always a popular man and had a large fund of entertaining stories. He was very affectionately known a "Doug the Thug" and was aware of the nickname. After I left BP in 1976 I sailed with Captain John Partridge in the oil rig supply ship Oil Prospector. John was a neighbor of Commadore Buckley in Cullumpton, Devon and he told me that after Commodore Buckley came on leave after meeting General Torijos he was asked to go to the Foreign Office in London where he was questioned about the General. Apparently the General was an elusive man and the Britsh Ambassador to Panama had never met him.

My first ship was mv British Flag and the Master was Captain Henry Wilson, who was Coomodore Master in 1966/67 I visited him on board ss British Admiral in Birkenhead. My last BP ship was ss British Respect in 1976. I joined her at sea off Capetown by helicopter. She was commanded by Commodore Ray Davies. In 1968 I was in ss British Mariner and her Cheir Engineer was Commodore Engineer Mattson. In the latest issue of the BP Pension newsletter there is a mention of him by his son. Mr Mattson is still alive and well at the grand age of 97.

Commodores Wilson, Buckley and Mattson were exceptional men and it is very satisfying to know that their lives are remembered.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Deep Sea,
    I knew Doug Buckley fo many years and he died in Panama some three years or so ago, should you require more information send me an e mail at mossga@cwpanama,net, I am in still in contact with his family here in panama.
    Let me know regards
    Geoff Moss

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I collect old BP memorabilia including Fleet News etc, there is an article in July 1978 issue about Commodore Doug Buckley ( his promotion) and another about some of his exploits in Panama whilst there regarding Panamax shipping

Graham

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had the pleasure of sailing with Doug Buckley as R/O in the latter half of 1980 on the British Respect. I left the ship just before she sailed from Finnart to the Isle of Grain in November 1980. As others have said, he was a true gentleman. I knew he'd gone to Panama to live but this is the first I've heard of his passing away.

His son, John, was a deck cadet with BP. I sailed with him a few years later, he told me his Dad had gone to Panama on retiring. For those that knew him, John's party trick was showing off his six toes, this feature ran in the family apparently, I don't know if Doug had it!

Bob

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi I'm commodore's Buckley youngest son, and i live in panama. Thanks for making me feel proud about my dad, I always knew he was a wonderful man. He passed away six years ago here in Panama.
    If you want some extra information or you have extra information about my dad you can contact me at my email adress( douglas_mark_24@hotmail.com).

Douglas M. Buckley

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast