Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Captain Webberling, br Destiny, br Prospector, br Talent

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Captain Webberling, br Destiny, br Prospector, br Talent

Hi there! My Grandfather was Captain Webberling that served with bp from about 1921 to 1961. He was, towards the end a Commodore, but hated all the paper work...much prefered being a captain. I was just watching the rememberence day service and hadn't realised the important role the merchant navy played in various wars, and it made think of grandad. He passed away in 1984 so i never got to ask him things myself, as i was only 6, and i'm hugely interested in any info i can find out about him.
    He would've been on many ships that I don't know of, but I do know that from the early to mid fifties and onwards he was catain on board the br Destiny, br Talent, and br Prospector. Others too maybe, but that's as far as my info goes. If anyone remembers him or has any info they heard, I'd love to hear it. In his retirement back in Scotland, he was a very well respected, well liked man, and very much a gentleman of the old school. He went to sea at 14 years and when he died, had his ashes scattered in the Solway, to be back with the sea, where my grandmother's ashes joined him some years later. I have a couple of stories of him and his days at sea if anyone's interested...he met alot of famous people and and got up to all sorts as a young man!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Welcome Therese!

Hello Therese
    First of all welcome to the site!
    And also plaese accept Condolences be though it is very belated on the passing of your dear Grand Parents!

I am sure that with all these Lads on Board here you will soon get some nice replies,and hopefullt some will recall your Grandad!

Yes the MN did play a huge part in both WWars,and its only recently that it has been given pride of place in the Yearly Ceremonies,more the pity,and this should have happened Years and Years ago,along with all the other forces!
    But at least it is now as they say on the MAP!

I am sure that not only me,but others here on site would be very happy and interested to hear some of the Stories of you dear Granda,so yes Therese please do post as much as you can for us all to read!

So hoping to hear from you in the near future,and also hope that you soon get good response to your posting!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

3. Likes Terry Sullivan, Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well one story about the old boy goes back to the 30's or 40's. He was very handsome as a younger man and was known for his charm. He was in New York at one point in a cocktail bar and saw none other than Wallace Simpson across the room. Being cheeky, he sent her over a drink. She looked over, obviously liked what she saw, and came over to thank him. He took her hand, kissed it, and merely said "madame, now I know why!" According to his lifelong mate who had been there and told the story, she slipped him a note, but grandad vehemently denied it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another story is that his ship was in dry dock in Southhampton, I think it was, and he was a captian at the time. A women came one day to the ship wanting to speak to him, or rather to sell him something. She had just started work for a washing detergent company and thought it would be a great idea to sell it in bulk to a ship. She told my grandad that the washing powder was the best thing ever and could remove ANY stains.Grandad disagreed, giving the example of the greasy, oil and tar caked clothes of the engineers and such. She insisted that it would work and that she would go to the ship's laundry facilities that instant and demonstrate it. Grandad told her it was a bad idea but she kept insisting,as he knew she would, so he let her get on with it. He got a collection of the filthiest overalls and stuff that could be found and gave them to her. In a nut shell, she tried to wash them in the machine, and all the oil and grease totally broke it, as grandad knew it would. He then insisted that her company give him a new machine, since she broke his, and he had tried to warn her, and she left a broken woman...and yes, grandad got a brand spanking new machine out of it for his ship.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My mum and grandmother used to visit his ships from time to time and my mum told me one incident. My granfather had a caged, talking mynah bird for a while. A young crew meber on one of his ships thought it couldn't hurt to do something nice for him, since he was captain, and hit upon the very thing. He painted the bird's cage with creosote, while the bird was still in it, and killed it. Grandad hit the roof, gave the lad a damn good dressing down, and disciplined him quite harshly. My gran and mum, who were there, tried to talk to him, telling him he was being a bit nasty cause the lad was only trying to do something nice. Grandad reckoned that anyone so seriously lacking in basic common sense deserved a good punishment, and they were a danger to others around him, and told the ladies to mind their own business! I understand his usual method of punishment was to give a fine, but I'm not sure if e applied that to this young bloke.

7. Thanks James Domleo thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Therese,

I have a copy of a BP Drydock crew list dated May/June 1960. HE Weberling is shown as being her Master, if you like I will send you a copy.

Graham

9. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Captain Webberling, br Destiny, br Prospector, br Talent

Hi, I have written a book about my years as a young girl Hotel owner in Orkney 1969 to 1982. Your Grandfather Capt. Webberling was a guest and quite a character he was but as you say a true gentleman and features in the book. The book is called 'A Moment in Time The Merkister Hotel by Heather. It will be available on the Orcadian Publishing Website in about a couple of months. I hope that you enjoy reading about him. Heather Tuck

11. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#7. Heather what was a British tanker doing in Orkneys was she one of the many who loaded from the SBM Buoys in the North Sea .? JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #7. Heather what was a British tanker doing in Orkneys was she one of the many who loaded from the SBM Buoys in the North Sea .? JS
    My Wife and I (2nd Mate) left the British Commerce in Scapa Flow, March 79, prior to it going alongside at Flotta. We flew from Kirkwall to Aberdeen, which was an interesting flight. I had a window seat and could see down the runway just before touchdown as the pilot had make a crab approach due to severe crosswinds.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting posts Thanks

Can we have his Full name DOB and Place of Birth, will help hopefully to find more on him!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

15. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast