Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Captain Webberling, br Destiny, br Prospector, br Talent

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Captain Webberling, br Destiny, br Prospector, br Talent

Hello I have a H. E. Weberling with only 1 b signature in my seaman's discharge book on the British Destiny in 1962, is this the same captain or just a coincidence..Mike

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Captain Webberling, br Destiny, br Prospector, br Talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Therese Sherman View Post
    Hi there! My Grandfather was Captain Webberling I have a couple of stories of him and his days at sea if anyone's interested...he met alot of famous people and and got up to all sorts as a young man!
    I was a Apprentice with BP Tanker Company Although when I joined it was still named British Tanker Company, abbreviate. to BTC. which we used to say stood for “ Better Times Coming”. I never met your Grandad but at that time the company had around 150 ships, so hardly surprising. I am still in touch with an old shipmate and will ask if he recognises the name. If memory serves i think the Destiny was one of the early super tankers, but I expect the name has been re used since
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 28th July 2021 at 08:25 PM.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Welcome Therese! I thought I recognised the name. I sailed as 3 rd mate on the British Light

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Hello Therese
    First of all welcome to the site!

So hoping to hear from you in the near future,and also hope that you soon get good response to your posting!
    Cheers
    Hi Teresa I thought I recognised the name. I sailed with him in 1959 on the British Light.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 28th July 2021 at 08:26 PM.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Captain Webberling, br Destiny, br Prospector, br Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Therese Sherman View Post
    Hi there! My Grandfather was Captain Webberling that served with bp from about 1921 to 1961. He was, towards the end a Commodore, but hated all the paper work...much prefered being a captain. I was just watching the rememberence day service and hadn't realised the important role the merchant navy played in various wars, and it made think of grandad. He passed away in 1984 so i never got to ask him things myself, as i was only 6, and i'm hugely interested in any info i can find out about him.
    He would've been on many ships that I don't know of, but I do know that from the early to mid fifties and onwards he was catain on board the br Destiny, br Talent, and br Prospector. Others too maybe, but that's as far as my info goes. If anyone remembers him or has any info they heard, I'd love to hear it. In his retirement back in Scotland, he was a very well respected, well liked man, and very much a gentleman of the old school. He went to sea at 14 years and when he died, had his ashes scattered in the Solway, to be back with the sea, where my grandmother's ashes joined him some years later. I have a couple of stories of him and his days at sea if anyone's interested...he met alot of famous people and and got up to all sorts as a young man!
    I owned the Merkister Hotel Orkney from 1969 to 1982. Capt. Webberling features in my book recently published by The Orcadian Publishing. It is called A MOMENT IN TIME by HEATHER. Therese, you might be interested in reading about him Best Wishes Heather Tuck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2