Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowater Ships

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Runcimans

John she would have put us on bread and dripon if she could a real cows a---====,John talken about Aussie coast i've sailed with some of the worst cooks ever on this coast,iwas on one the Iron Wyndam out of Port Kembla
    The spud barber was all ways legless never ever peeld the spuds or any root veg before cooking it the soup was all ways a filthy grey mess stangly enough he lasted for three days we refused to carry him any longer we did for three days to long.He was just one of them.But i must also say i also sailed with plenty of first class chefs on this coast too and they ou tnumbered the bad ones.

2. Likes N/A, Captain Kong, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can any of our catering guys tell me why he was always *ships cook*, i go down to the pub, and in there hes the *chef*, most of the cooks i sailed with were bloody good. I know they have chefs on passenger ships, but is just the modern padding out syndrome, where the dustmen are refuse collection officers. Whatever, the *cook* was a very important guy, good cook, good moral , KT

4. Likes cappy, N/A, Charlie Hannah liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Can any of our catering guys tell me why he was always *ships cook*, i go down to the pub, and in there hes the *chef*, most of the cooks i sailed with were bloody good. I know they have chefs on passenger ships, but is just the modern padding out syndrome, where the dustmen are refuse collection officers. Whatever, the *cook* was a very important guy, good cook, good moral , KT
    lo#######lots of good cooks asyou say .......never had chef son any ships but alsohad one or to who met the proverbial ....who called the cook a c..t.....who called the c..t a cook

6. Thanks Keith Tindell thanked for this post
    Likes William Gardner, Charlie Hannah liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    lo#######lots of good cooks asyou say .......never had chef son any ships but alsohad one or to who met the proverbial ....who called the cook a c..t.....who called the c..t a cook
    we had a saying never trust a thin cook

8. Likes N/A, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

re #37
    jack melville, i thought that i was the only one from the MN who settled on the prairies,?? if you have time when you are back home, maybe we could get together for a coffee and a chat,( when you are passing through WPG.) 415 -3842
    keith moody
    R635978

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First trip to sea we had Spanish crew. C.P. Catering super decided that one of the Chefs of the Empress should sail with us to "teach" the excellent Spanish cook how to prepare and cook food for Englishmen and also teach hygiene standards.
    What turned up was the fattest laziest drunken guy you ever met who all he did was stand all day dressed in chefs whites in the galley door drinking cans of warm beer.
    One night there was very nice steaks on and I said to this chef, "great steak, did you cook it", "no" he replies, "but I did do the chips that went with it".
    A few years later when I was on the Empress of Canada doing night rounds, my stomach used to turn when going through the galley and storerooms , especially the chefs stores where split bags of flour would be crawling in weevils and broken eggs dripping on them, in the meat rooms half butchered carcasses would be left out on the tables etc.etc. How we never had cases of food poisoning amongst the crew and passengers was beyond belief as believe me if health inspectors had ever inspected the galleys they would have shut them down immediately.
    rgds
    JA

11. Likes cappy, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

have i think stated before on the tramps......overtime was zilch .......but whn i was 2nd steward always told the galley boy to tell the chief steward he had seena rat in the dry stoers we would make some very convincing rat droppings and spread them the boy would then spend supposed hours inthe stoers with a big stick until thre rat was caught and slung over the wall the boys always thought it was good to shaft the company the old man and the chief steward ......happy days and cunning ways cappy

13. Thanks Keith Tindell thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: T ss markland

Quote Originally Posted by Edward corrigan View Post
    My name is Ted Corrigan and I was 4th engineer on the Markland The first time I ever flew was to join her in Halifax She had broke down Mid Atlantic And I believe all the engineers were relieved of their duties ie sacked as I was later on I had a disagreement with super in Ellesmere Port .I was asked to do trip to Sweden and the disagreement would be resolved when we got back to port It was Adios Bowies great company though
    I Ted I just heard from Barry Altringham. He was 4th eng on the Nicolas with us. I guess you have not opened this site recently. If you get around to it I would love to hear from you.

my e-mail is izzyorme2014@gmail.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bowater Ships

I did not sail on any bowater ships, however I served in Swedish bottoms and discharged wood pulp in ridham dock ex north africa a few times the last vessel in the dock ws the esbjorn gorthan. and I paid off the day president kenneday was shot.

16. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bowater Ships

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Rix View Post
    I did not sail on any bowater ships, however I served in Swedish bottoms and discharged wood pulp in ridham dock ex north africa a few times the last vessel in the dock ws the esbjorn gorthan. and I paid off the day president kenneday was shot.
    I do feel that your admission that you served in "Swedish bottoms" deserves further explanation.

18. Likes Dennis McGuckin, Geoff Bray liked this post
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast