Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowater Ships

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Runcimans

There were 2 companies called Runciman. One was Runcimans of Newcastle or more often called Moor Line Ltd. and Runcimans of London which were the paper boats. Whether they were related or not I never had the inclination to find out. Runcimans of Newcastle were tramp ships and traded world wide. Maybe someone else can shine a light on any Family relation between the 2 outfits. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Runciman(London)Ltd (Barberrys SS Co Ltd)

After over twenty-five years at sea Runciman, partly for reasons of health, began a new career as a shipowner at South Shields, Durham. His training in both sail and steam was valuable to him in the shipowning business. His first ship, the steamer Dudley, 1200 tons, did well for him during a period of depressed trade, and, as business improved, he gradually acquired eleven other second-hand steamers. In 1889, at South Shields, Runciman built his first new steamer, the Blakemore, which was the foundation of the Moor Line Ltd of cargo steamships. By 1895 the Moor Line, now based in Newcastle upon Tyne, owned twenty-five steamers, and by 1914 about forty. This company was liquidated in 1919, after which Runciman became senior partner in Walter Runciman & Co. Ltd of Newcastle and London. By 1924, Runciman's company, owners of a new Moor Line, had twenty-three steamers in service. Runciman in 1935 acquired a controlling interest in the Anchor Line Ltd of Glasgow. He was also chairman or director of many other shipping companies and combines.

Walter Runciman & Co. Ltd (Moor Line Ltd)

Walter Runciman & Co / Moor Line
    Walter Runciman & Co / Moor Line
    In 1885 Walter Runciman purchased the laid up steamer Dudley and formed the South Shields Shipping Co. He operated her until 1891 when she was seized by the Russians as compensation after a collision. In the meantime, he had purchased other second hand ships and in 1889 ordered a new ship. Further new ships followed and in 1897 the company changed its name to Moor Line Ltd. In 1902 the Moor Line took over the Novocastrian Shipping Co of Newcastle and in 1905 purchased the North Moor Steamship Co. and their fleets. By the outbreak of the Great War the company owned 49 tramp steamers but lost 19 ships to enemy action and one to marine hazard.In 1919 Runciman sold his fleet to E. Edward & Sons, Cardiff and the company was placed into voluntary liquidation. In Nov.1920 Moor Line was reconstituted as a public company and in 1922 Edwards of Cardiff went bankrupt and Runciman was able to repurchase some of the ships which he had previously sold at a fraction of the sale price two years earlier.
    By 1939 the company owned 17 tramp ships, but by 1945 only 4 were left afloat. The fleet was rebuilt after the war and in 1965 the company purchased Anchor Line which it had managed since 1935. In 1968 the tramps were transferred to Anchor Line and renamed and the bulk carriers were sold by 1981.

I cannot find the connection between the companies ,
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Runcimans

Thanks Rob, believe at one time he owned a steam yacht, way before my time. Believe also his wife was in close cahoots with the so called Lady Astor of the one tin of milk per man per week fame. As a shipowner he had strong affiliations with charity towards Christian movements, pity it didnt apply to his seafarers also, I beleive I asked the question years ago between any family connection between the London/Newcastle bit but never got a reasonable answer. Cheers John Sabourn

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found the Connection John in "Friends of Jesmond Cemetery "

WALTER RUNCIMAN (1847 - 1937)

SHIPOWNER, PHILANTHROPIST AND MP

Walter Runciman was born in Dunbar, Scotland in 1847. He ran away to sea at the age of 11 and, by the age of 21, he was a Master Mariner. Runciman bought his first ship in 1885 and four years later founded the South Shields Steam Shipping Company Limited, based in South Shields. By 1895, he had acquired 20 steamers and, two years later, changed his company's name to the Moor Line Ltd and, by 1904, owned 23 steamers, going on to reach 40 by the outbreak of WW1. The company suffered losses during the war and, in 1919, Runciman sold all of the company's 13 remaining ships to Western Counties Shipping Company Limited. That company folded in 1922 and Runciman decided to buy 8 of these ships back at a much reduced cost, also acquiring a controlling interest in the Anchor Line in 1935, which had previously been owned by Cunard. Following his death in 1937, the company changed its name to Runciman Shipping Company Ltd, managed by Walter Runciman and Company Ltd. The two companies merged in 1947 to acquire the latter name. The Anchor Line was sold to Runciman in 1965 and three years later the ownership of the Moor Line was transferred to Anchor Line Shipping Management Ltd., while Runciman Shipping Limited ran day to day operations of the ships. By 1976, Runciman Shipping Limited was one of five divsions of Anchor Line Company Limited, running the administration of the company.

Runciman was created a Baronet in 1906 and served as Liberal MP for Hartlepool from 1914 to 1918. In 1933, he was raised to the peerage as Baron Runciman of Shoreston. Four years later, his son, the long serving MP Walter Runciman (1870 - 1949), followed him to the Lords with the title Walter Runciman, 1st Viscount Runciman of Doxford.

Runciman lived in Fernwood House, Jesmond.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

6. Thanks j.sabourn, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default longpom

Paid off, and did my A/BS ticket, with the intention of getting another Bowater boat.
    The day after I got my ticket, got pissed in the Red Lion, and ended up on an Athel Tanker, with two other drunks who I had met in the bar
    Bags packed and free to roam.
    Nothing better.

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: T ss markland

My name is Ted Corrigan and I was 4th engineer on the Markland The first time I ever flew was to join her in Halifax She had broke down Mid Atlantic And I believe all the engineers were relieved of their duties ie sacked as I was later on I had a disagreement with super in Ellesmere Port .I was asked to do trip to Sweden and the disagreement would be resolved when we got back to port It was Adios Bowies great company though

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: T ss markland

Hi Ted,
    My name is Jackie Melville,
    I was on the Nicolas Bowater with you.. There Barry Altringham and Colin Campbell (Chief Elect) Jim Glass was 2nd mate.. Anyway if you remember me (been a while) please contact me. I have great memories. Actually I went the the mill in Liverpool Nova Scotia last Sept 2013. just to reminice.. I live in Canada now and am at present in Texas ( winter vacation) My e-mail is,,,, izzyorme20142gmail.com
    Jackie Melville

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Runcimans

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Thanks Rob, believe at one time he owned a steam yacht, way before my time. Believe also his wife was in close cahoots with the so called Lady Astor of the one tin of milk per man per week fame. As a shipowner he had strong affiliations with charity towards Christian movements, pity it didnt apply to his seafarers also, I beleive I asked the question years ago between any family connection between the London/Newcastle bit but never got a reasonable answer. Cheers John Sabourn
    Hi John Lady Aster made it one can every 10 Days not one a week.She recons she did a cruise and it was marvelous and she really did enjoy every minute, so seamen should be greatfull they are getting anything.

13. Thanks j.sabourn, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did Bowaters have a factory in Deptford in the River Thames ???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#38... Charlie, Good thing she never sailed with an Ozzie crew, would have refused to sail unless there was fresh milk and a back up of Long Life. She would probably have been tossed over the side anyway. You know how there is a restriction on bringing foreign food into Australia, always when bringing a ship onto the coast here from Singapore had to try and work out the minimum meat etc, as knew would be condemed by the port Health. Always had the Chandler sitting on the quay on arrival with back up stores. Docked Adelaide and he was late in getting there. The crowd demanded Hotel living until proper food on board, there was food on board. I told them to take a walk down the gangway and come back if they so desired, either that or I offered them the phone to phone the owners in Fremantle which they wouldnt do. Anyhow in the meantime the meat was on the quay. I still went to bed and left them to it. At that time in the 90"s they had to have 1st Class hotels, meals paid. and a subsistance of I think about 40 dollars a day. This was because they expected, and it was the meat was taken off the vessel, but decided they would go for a piss up at the owners expense. Not on my watch, fairs fair, that was a clear breech of Union power. The unions have my backing when it is legitimate, but goes to show some of those parasites who were in government recently came from. Cheers John S

16. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast