Thread: MV Ribera

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MV Ribera

Greetings !

I sailed on Ribera between 1968 & 72 As cadet and 3rd Mate

Also sailed on Ripon, Redcar, Revieux - Any one else ??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: MV Ribera

Hi David .
    Welcome to the site, just hang in here you never know someone may turn up that sailed with you.
    Cheers Des

3. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed on Ribera 73/74 when the ship was transferred to the Ben line and renamed Benvorlich .Keith GIBB

5. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by David Spelman View Post
    Greetings !

I sailed on Ribera between 1968 & 72 As cadet and 3rd Mate

Also sailed on Ripon, Redcar, Revieux - Any one else ??
    I sailed on the MV Redcar as a Junior Engineer from September 1961 until approximately March 1962. Picked the ship up in Birkenhead bound for Seven Islands. Seem too recall going to Vitoria twice before joining the GT Rembrandt for one trip to Philadelphia.

7. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Dave
    Alex Frew here, sailed with you on the Ribera 13/12/68 Joined in Durban left in Baton Rouge 14/11/69. Did a stint on the Ripon Ruysdael Ribblehead Redcar . Left Bolton Steam 11 nov 1971, Joined Harrison Clyde 26/02/72. Emigrated to Australia
    In 1976
    Went into Power Station, Aluminium Smelter construction. Now retired living in sunny Queensland 45 min from brisbane airport and 10 mins from Bribie Island. Good golf fishing and pubs
    Regards Alex

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi

I remember you. I seem to think you were quite keen on visiting a church in the Mississippi area. I have a picture of you with the Second MAte (Paul Tilbury and his wife) on the Ribera. I'm pretty certain you wer3rd MAte on the Ripon when I was a cadet.

Andrew PArke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dave,

How could I not remember you, nearly a year in the adjoining cabin with the other Engineer Cadet, Graham Skinner. Who was the other Cadet with you. He jumped ship in Japan? A few other familiar name on this thread. I met up with Kenny Bakewell recently after about 50 years. Also one from the Sparks, wouldn't have remembered his name, just remember him as Moseley for some reason. Glad to hear you are still around. Regards, Glenn.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, James Curry liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#7 sorry to butt in but you mentioned Kenny Bakewell , if the same one saw him yesterday. Have known him since the 70s . Both him and his wife Jill are doing ok. I assume you have his address for communication . He recently had a visitor from Aberdeen staying with him who I was supposed to know also but really couldn’t remember to much. But know him well now. If same Kenny has not too long been retired, but still likes to get around the world. , he was planning to start off in Mongolia and go across into Russia very soon, but think the present virus has dinted his plans. If you want his contact numbers let me know. Cheers John Sabourn.

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John,

Thanks for the reply. If it's the same Kenny he's 71, same as me, we both had our 21st on the Ribera, now lives in Perth Australia. He visited Oxford a couple of times in the last few years so we had a "few" drinks together. Best friends on the ship, spent 11 months on it in '69. Kenny stayed on when I left it in Baton Rouge.

Regards

Glenn James

15. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#9 that’s him Glen. Same Kenny. Lives about 20 minutes in the car from me. I first knew him from the Temple Hall about 1976. The Temple Hall previous to coming back under the red Ensign had been employed with Australian crew running from the phosphate island in the Pacific to Sydney for a number of years Kenny had been on the shore maintainance Engineers team in Sydney. I joined it in Leith in Scotland on return to the Red Ensign and Kenny came with the ship.. Kept in touch ever since. He was very helpful when we came out here in 1991 and put me wise to Unions etc. he was working as a gun mechanic on seismic ships then. He then branched out on his own and made a good living doing Safety Audits on All sorts Rigs Ships helicopters , spent a lot of time in Indonesia. As said hasn’t been retired too long but still can’t sit still has to keep on global trotting , he would have finished up back in uk in a few months time, but think this virus problem will hold him back. Will tell him have been talking to you , he may even know as believe he looks in on this site at times.dont know what part of the world you now live in ,but he talks about someone he knows in Queensland who he visits at times, maybe going back to your days. Best Regards. John Sabourn.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 5th March 2020 at 11:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast