Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Canberra Star

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Canberra Star

Looking back, I think she was a fine ship. The bar was situated on the upper deck towards the stern if I remember rightly. She was a refrigerated cargo liner able to carry a few passengers, some of whom I met.

In New Zealand, we picked up a cargo of lamb which came aboard via conveyor belts - we also picked up a cargo of prostitutes via the gangway! This was at first unnerving for a young nieve deck boy at the time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagga View Post
    Looking back, I think she was a fine ship. The bar was situated on the upper deck towards the stern if I remember rightly. She was a refrigerated cargo liner able to carry a few passengers, some of whom I met.

In New Zealand, we picked up a cargo of lamb which came aboard via conveyor belts - we also picked up a cargo of prostitutes via the gangway! This was at first unnerving for a young nieve deck boy at the time.
    Saw her in Aussie after the crew painted her name down aft CAN'OBEER STAR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Canberra Star

Quote Originally Posted by Wagga View Post

I was on her from 16th Jan '70 to 11th March '71. Great ship, good times. They were not prostitutes, they were ship molls, who used to ringbolt, the girls were brilliant, used to look after us. Del

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey you may be talking about some of our daughters who are doing what their mothers did.
    Brian.

leratty Guest

Default Pic of QE2 on ships.

Capt. Kong if anyone will know you will, did all-or any the ships flying the red ensign you were on have a photo of the Queen hung anywhere? I can not recall even on Brasil Star this, though maybe in passenger area? Someone is saying all British ships did, yet I just do not remember seeing one hung anywhere aboard the ships I served on. Maybe I just took no notice & most were tramps anyway?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a vauge memory of one in the pursers office on all the UCL ships on the Cape run.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On BSL we had one big star to pray to each morning.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Woodard View Post
    On BSL we had one big star to pray to each morning.
    TWO

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pictures

In C.P. all there ships had a picture of the Queen on them situated in the Bar, even if they were Bermuda registered.
    On Norwegian registered ships they too have a picture of their queen on them.
    You also usually have a picture of the person who launched the ship and they usually presented the ship with a gift of some sorts. One Panamax bulker I was on had been named by the head of a big Belgian steelworks wife, we had contracts with them for lead and chrome ore. She was apparentley a well known sculptor in the mode of Henry Moore. She presented the ship with one of her scultures that looked a bit like a childs attempt at making a plate but it came with a written message that set out that it was somehow meant to represent the world and the seas that the ship would sail upon. Totally confused us. It was hidden away and we never expected to see her again after sailing maiden voyage. A couple of years later the ship was in Antwerp and they were told she would be visiting. Frantic efforts to find the sculpture and get it back up before she turned up. They did find it and apparentley she was dead chuffed to see her piece still hanging in the bar.
    rgds
    JA

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Capt. Kong if anyone will know you will, did all-or any the ships flying the red ensign you were on have a photo of the Queen hung anywhere? I can not recall even on Brasil Star this, though maybe in passenger area? Someone is saying all British ships did, yet I just do not remember seeing one hung anywhere aboard the ships I served on. Maybe I just took no notice & most were tramps anyway?
    .Hi Le.
    The ESSO Tankers I was on had one in the Officers saloon.
    I remember old Captain Stan Gaddy, now long dead, he was a very irrevelent person. pointed at the Queen one day, and said, " She is part German, part Scots and married to a Greek, she should be under the Panamanian flag".
    We were in one port when the Vicar came on board from the Mission, he had a pile of books for us. Old Stan chased him along the deck, ` get off my effing ship`, and chased him whilst sprinkling a can of disinfectant after him along the deck and down the gangway. He was a very superstitious man.
    Cheers
    Brian

12. Likes N/A, Peter F Chard liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast